OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 06:26:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic Sacraments  (Read 933 times) Average Rating: 0
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« on: March 31, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ !
       I know this is a loaded question but as far as RC Sacraments go before I state my question let me say this I believe that there is some albeit limited grace in RC Sacraments because I have experienced it...Now on to the question what would be the best way to act in a Catholic Church or Chapel  ( I attend a Catholic School) should I cross myself or reverence the Eucharist? I ask because I seem to be in my schools chapel once a week because I'm very involved in campus ministry

A Blessed Great Week to all
David

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:24:54 AM »

Talk to your priest.
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:27:29 AM »

Thanks for reminding me that that is the answer to every question that may arise  about orthodoxy  Tongue I  intend to I just wnated to see what other people think

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:12:22 AM »

Chesterton and Belloc were visiting an Anglican church and one them genuflected to the tabernacle.

The other remonstrated:  You shouldn't do that.  There's nothing there.

The one who had genuflected replied:  Well, if He is there, He's there as a prisoner!"

Hey, don't shoot me.  I am just repeating a Chesterton-Belloc conversation.  Wink
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:14:25 AM »

Fr. Bless!

Thanks for that I really needed that laugh  Smiley

Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:29:06 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ !
       I know this is a loaded question but as far as RC Sacraments go before I state my question let me say this I believe that there is some albeit limited grace in RC Sacraments because I have experienced it...Now on to the question what would be the best way to act in a Catholic Church or Chapel  ( I attend a Catholic School) should I cross myself or reverence the Eucharist? I ask because I seem to be in my schools chapel once a week because I'm very involved in campus ministry

A Blessed Great Week to all
David

David,
     As in all of these matters as an inquirer , you should discuss this situation with your spiritual father, the priest who is catechizing you.

You have reached a key question about education that many Orthodox have answered in many ways. Do I send my children to a public school? Do I send them to a charter school? Do I send them to a private religious  (Roman Catholic, Episcopalian, baptist, or nondenominational Protestant / Christian) school? Do I homeschool my children?

If there is an Orthodox Christian School (yes they do exist) this is a good possibility for educating your children , if you can afford the tuition or can get a scholarship. Many Antiochian Orthodox Christians who have come from a conservative protestant background have chosen to continue to homeschool their children utilizing various orthodox home school resources---just recently a special homeschooling conference was sponsored by the Antiochian Archdiocese for more information go to http://www.antiochian.org/node/22537 . Other Orthodox Christians have gone to Roman Catholic Schools due to their closenest to Orthodox beliefs and practices---the challenge here is that these children are more likely to intermarry with Roman Catholics, learn Church history from a Roman Catholic/ Western view that distorts the Schism and may even be anti-Orthodox in its Religion Classes when an orthodox interpretation is offered. Episcopalian schools offer a good liberal arts education but is very soft on religious issues and may teach social doctrine that it at odds with the Orthodox Church teachings. Protestant, Baptist, and nondenominational churches are usually very difficult for Orthodox children as they view the Orthodox as if they were Roman Catholics and not believers in biblical Christianity.

Most Orthodox Christians send their children to a public sector school whether traditional public school or Charter school. When this is done, the Orthodox parents need to discuss with their children what they have learned and provide an orthodox world view component to supplement their public education. Oddly enough in Public School papers written on Orthodox themes of values, ethics, and an Eastern Orthodox world view are usually well received if the Orthodox Child has utilized proper references and resources supporting that view.

In closing, I hope that you will discuss this matter with your priest for his direction and counsel.

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:31:31 AM by Thomas » Logged

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »

Thomas Thanks for the advice Smiley

Tags: Catholic sacraments 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: