OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 05:15:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Unction  (Read 1023 times) Average Rating: 0
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Christos Anesti!

« on: March 30, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ !

Since the fast is technically over and this question has been on my mind for the last couple of days I decided to go ahead and post it here. Tomorrow (Holy Wensday) I have the opportunity to go to the Holy Unction Service. I was wondering as a non-orthodox person is it a service worth attending since I cannot receive the Holy Mysteries?

A Bleesed Holy Week to all

David
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:43:36 PM by Altar Server » Logged

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:16:37 PM »

The fullness of the Truth is always worthy of participation.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:16:43 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Altar Server
High Elder

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:21:36 PM »

Those where my thoughts enitially Alveus... but then I kept second guessing myself ... on another note how were the pan-orthodox vespers  at your parish?

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ !
Glory Forever!

... I have the opportunity to go to the Holy Unction Service. I was wondering as a non-orthodox person is it a service worth attending since I cannot receive the Holy Mysteries?
When I was a catechumen, I went to as many services as I could.  Though I couldn't always fully participate, I always benefited from simply being there.  I think that if you go, afterwords you'll definitely know it was worth it.  Smiley 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Altar Server
High Elder

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »

Thanks Gabriel... I think I will go If I can leave school in time to get there  Wink
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 11:35:38 PM by Altar Server » Logged

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 11:40:52 PM »

Those where my thoughts enitially Alveus... but then I kept second guessing myself ... on another note how were the pan-orthodox vespers  at your parish?

Quite crowded, but not as packed as last year. It's always a treat to have guests.
Altar Server
High Elder

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 11:48:48 PM »

I was on the verge of coming but then had an inccident at the divine liturgy so things just didn't work out Sad I still would really like to visit the parish

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 12:20:29 AM »

I was on the verge of coming but then had an inccident at the divine liturgy so things just didn't work out Sad I still would really like to visit the parish

Well, come for either a Great Vespers on Saturday night (6:00PM) or a Sunday morning (9:30AM) Divine Liturgy. It's quite different from Holy Trinity.
Altar Server
High Elder

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 12:27:51 AM »

As soon as I can drive that will probably be one of my first trips Smiley Lord how I long for July

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 09:29:05 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ !

Since the fast is technically over and this question has been on my mind for the last couple of days I decided to go ahead and post it here. Tomorrow (Holy Wensday) I have the opportunity to go to the Holy Unction Service. I was wondering as a non-orthodox person is it a service worth attending since I cannot receive the Holy Mysteries?

A Bleesed Holy Week to all

David
Please go. You wouldn't refrain from Liturgy just because you couldn't take the Eucharist. Don't miss out on one of the greatest services of the year just because you can't fully participate.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Altar Server
High Elder

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 08:16:43 PM »

Thanks for the advice Sadly I could not attend  either  Divine Service Tonight so I am watiching online at GOARCH  I will however be attending all the services for the rest of the week Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: