OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 04:38:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese  (Read 1998 times) Average Rating: 0
Byzantine Christian

« on: January 11, 2004, 10:51:03 PM »

We just found out today in church that the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese in america has been granted
Autonomus status. Is that a good or bad thing? Dont really matter to me, I wont feel the effects of it, what every they will be, at least if I do its nothing bad :-

In Christ
Daniel
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 11:11:40 PM »

This was granted back in October at the Holy Synod meeting in Damascus, Syria. It came back up this Sunday because this past week the local Synod of Bishops met and decided to go ahead with a plan to have a special Archdiocese Convention this July in Pittsburgh.

Overall I think this is being looked as a good thing. It will mean that the Archdiocese will have more Bishops and smaller areas for the Bishops to minister to. Also the Bishops are now going to be actual Bishops of their own Diocese instead of auxlieries of the Patriarch assigned to assist Archbishop Philip.

Joseph
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 02:37:44 AM »

In a way it troubles me.  How can a church that has NO monastic presence be autonomous?
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 03:20:31 AM »

In a way it troubles me.  How can a church that has NO monastic presence be autonomous?  

Good point.
Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 11:40:09 AM »

I wonder how this can affect its relations with the OCA.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Boswell

Bi, poly, trans and ex-Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 12:15:50 PM »

What canon says otherwise? They don't need their own version of Elder Ephraim to exist in order for a pefectly licit ecclesiastical action to happen. Also, the Church of Antioch predates the formal institution of monasticism-they did somehow manage to exist before that happened.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 12:24:34 PM by Boswell » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 02:52:43 PM »

There is a monastic presence in the Antiochian Archdiocese. Besides St. Paul's Skete located in Tennesse there are a number of priest and laity who are true monastics. I know of many people who live an asetic life who are active members of parishes in the archdiocese. So in many ways the monastism that is practiced in the Antiochian Archdioces is much more in line with what St. Anthony established.

Joseph
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 08:55:11 PM »

Boswell, in this case the lack of monasticism is an indicator of the extreme modernism that infects the antiochians.  That wasn't an issue before the establishment of formal monasticism.  In many ways the establishment of monasticism was a reaction to the secularizations within the church after the end of the era of imperial persecutions...

Arimethea,  Saint Anthony went out far from the world and lived in the desert so he isn't an apt comparison.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: