OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 09:13:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holy Week Articles, Videos and Pictures  (Read 2544 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: March 30, 2010, 09:24:39 PM »

I thought it would be nice to start a thread where we could share the things happening in our Churches during Holy Week.   Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:33:10 PM »

http://www.etchmiadzin.com/

Palm Sunday in the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin

On March 28, the Armenian Apostolic Holy Church celebrated the Feast of Palm Sunday, commemorating the triumphant entry of our Lord Jesus Christ into Jerusalem.

Following morning services in the Mother Cathedral, the Blessing of the Four Corners of the Earth (Andastan) was offered in the courtyard of the cathedral. At the conclusion of the service, His Holiness blessed and distributed willow branches to the faithful in attendance.

The Pontiff of All Armenians spoke to the children who had gathered, telling them the importance of Palm Sunday, and encouraging them to be faithful sons and daughters of the Church. His Holiness blessed the children who had come from the Armenian Church Youth Centers and regions of Armenia.

Following the services of the morning, Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the Mother Cathedral. The celebrant of the Liturgy was His Grace Bishop Sahak Mashalian, Dean of the Gevorkian Theological Seminary. In his sermon, Bishop Sahak reflected on the mystery of Palm Sunday and encouraged the faithful to have faith that was clean and pure, a faith which has been passed on to all by the children who witnessed the triumphant entry of our Lord Jesus Christ to Jerusalem. He explained that on that day the children instantly recognized our Saviour in Jesus Christ and glorified Him.

At the conclusion of the Liturgy, His Holiness blessed and congratulated the children who had gathered in the chancel. The children were presented with gifts and children’s spiritual literature that has been prepared by the Christian Education Center of the Mother See. Following Divine Liturgy, many children participated in the traditional chalk drawing competition that was held in front of the arch of St. Gregory the Illuminator. Throughout the day, people visiting the Mother See had an opportunity to listen to music performed by the Brass Band of the Armenian Church Youth Center of Malatia.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »

Here is a video showing Palm Sunday at the Armenian Catholicosate of the Great House of Cilicia, in Antelias, Lebanon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwE4sH1hQmw

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »

Very Beautiful

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:20:54 AM »

Holy Thursday foot washing service at Etchmiadzin:

Holy Friday:

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »

Palm Sunday at my church!

Best ever!

http://www.uocofusa.com/news_100331_1.html

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »

Here are some of the pictures I took at my small Church (most of them from Holy Friday) Smiley

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »

Beautiful pictures!

I found a video about the start of Holy Week at an Indian Orthodox Church in New York:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlzCf4h83aU

I hope they post more videos showing the rest of Holy Week.

coptickev

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »

Beautiful pictures!

I found a video about the start of Holy Week at an Indian Orthodox Church in New York:

That's a beautiful video.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »

Beautiful pictures!

That's such a neat video, Salpy! Interesting to see how the women pour the communion wine into their mouths from the spouted vessel.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:36:33 PM »

Here are some of the pictures I took at my small Church (most of them from Holy Friday) Smiley

What was the main language?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 09:41:13 PM »

Thanks for creating this thread Salpy!

I love the vestments of your Bishops! The black cassocks are awesome!

Here are pictures from my parish (click on an image and the viewer will pop up):

Palm Sunday

Holy Friday

Pascha

Video of the Paschal Homily of St. John Chrysostom

Video of the Paschal Gospel reading

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 09:52:55 PM »

Beautiful pictures!

That's such a neat video, Salpy! Interesting to see how the women pour the communion wine into their mouths from the spouted vessel.

I've never seen that done before, and I've never been in an Indian Orthodox Church.  I'm wondering if that was really water, and if they were drinking it right after communing.  Maybe one of our Indian brothers can explain it to us, if they see this.

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 09:59:22 PM »

Yes, I believe you're right, Salpy. I watched it again, and it does look more like a clear fluid than wine. Anyhow, unusual to have the bread placed in one's mouth via the priest's hand! But in other respects, it's amazing how similar the ritual is to even the Russian Orthodox Church with which I'm more familiar.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 10:08:33 PM »

Beautiful pictures!

I've never seen that done before, and I've never been in an Indian Orthodox Church.  I'm wondering if that was really water, and if they were drinking it right after communing.  Maybe one of our Indian brothers can explain it to us, if they see this.

Yes, that's water to wash down the Eucharist (mixed body and blood in the Indian Church).  I've taken communion at an Indian Church in Queens, not far from this one.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »

Do you have any pictures, videos, etc, from the Coptic Church for us, Mina?  I know you guys had Holy Week too, last week.

Come on....
 Smiley

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »

Do you have any pictures, videos, etc, from the Coptic Church for us, Mina?  I know you guys had Holy Week too, last week.

Come on....
 Smiley

Well, I've spent Holy Week and Easter here in Dominica really, with no Coptic Church or any Orthodox Church nearby.  However, a group of us Orthodox, mostly Copts did gather together for our own Holy Week and Easter prayers, and we feasted together, like home away from home :-)...

If I find any pictures, I'll share it with you though.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:41:18 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 10:58:52 PM »

Oh dear, I didn't realize you were so far from home for Holy Week.   Sad

I am glad, though, that you had some Orthodox friends to pray and celebrate with.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 11:05:54 PM »

Some more Holy Friday pictures from Etchmiadzin:

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »

Pontifical Divine Liturgy on Easter, at Etchmiadzin:

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 11:18:24 PM »

Here is the message of His Holiness Karekin II, on the occasion of the Feast of the Resurrection:

Our dear and pious faithful,

The feast of Christ’s holy and glorious resurrection has once again brought joy and happiness to our hearts, and exultation to all Christians, who have been called to eternal life by the Lord’s salvation. Today our souls are alight in hope as we praise and glorify the Risen Lord and accept the good news of the victory of life and the salvation of man.

The triumph of life over death became possible through the love that God has for humanity; through the passion, crucifixion and resurrection of the Son of God – the Savior of mankind. During Pilate’s unjust trial, the mob preferred the outlaw Barabbas over Christ, condemning the Son of God to be crucified. The sinful was chosen over the sinless; the evildoer over the righteous, "because their deeds were evil, for everyone practicing evil hates the light." John 3:19-20. Near the cross, the believers and followers of Christ were wailing, while many were mocking Him, saying "if you are the Son of God, come down from the cross... and we will believe." Matthew 27:40-42. Our benevolent Lord, Who came from the bosom of the heavenly Father into the world, became man and mortal, did not come down from the cross. Instead, he rose from the grave to renew the nature of man and bestow the grace of eternal life. Thus the doors to eternity are open and we are called to be the inheritors of the kingdom of heaven, to enjoy the blessings and joy of God’s constant presence. Let us fearlessly approach Him Who is the Lord of life, merciful and full of love. He can renew the world heavy laden with sins with a single word; by seeing remorse and the desire and effort to change in the souls of men. He knows the hearts of men and their thoughts; He knows the aims of all deeds and will grant each according to his faith and hope in God. It is with this confidence that the apostle who has seen the Risen Savior exhorts us to lay hold with Jesus Christ on the hope for eternal life, and to steadfastly and unyieldingly fight the good fight of faith.

Dearly pious faithful, in accordance with the words of the Gospel, life in this world is a spiritual war for us faithful, and at every turn, in every thought or word, it is necessary to choose the true and the good, to be found righteous before one another and before God, so that divinely-given love always shines throughout life. There is no alternative in the good fight of faith, there is no compromise, since it is a war against satan – the one who desires the downfall and death of men. It appeared that satan was victorious, when Christ was crucified and placed in the tomb. However, through the Lord’s glorious and ineffable resurrection, evil and its power were destroyed, since it is God’s will that man be saved.

The Risen Christ is the way of life. With Christ, we have the power to be renewed and to improve life. As Christ’s earthly life brought goodness to humanity, so too shall the life of those who believe in Him, since the way of faith is that special heroism with which men are called to be the fearless implementers of God’s saving will on earth, to be the ‘fragrance of Christ before God’ [II Corinthians 2:15].

Dearly beloved faithful, for nearly 2,000 years since Christ’s resurrection, mankind has passed through diverse societal, economic, scientific and technological periods of development. However, in spite of all of his accomplishments, man has faltered many times in fighting the good fight of faith. Often as well today, the temporary (material) goods of this life, are given priority over the eternal ones. Today too the world is not free of war, poverty and irreconcilables in society, within families and personal relationships. And truly, there will never be peace, unfaltering prosperity and happiness wherever the good fight of faith is not being waged; wherever Barabbas is chosen over Christ.

Our people chose Christ as Lord and Savior. And with Him as our refuge throughout the centuries, we have overcome countless ordeals and have emerged with faith from the graves prepared for us. Today, the sacred mystery of Christ’s resurrection gloriously ascends and illuminates Armenian life, since we commemorate the 95th anniversary of the Genocide of the Armenians in the reality of independent Armenian statehood and a Diaspora in renaissance. Yes, the 20th century was an era of tragedy, but also one of rebirth for our people. Passing through the Golgotha of genocide, our people in dispersion and in the homeland, who overcame infinite deprivations and sacrifices, sprouted a new life, continued to create, and walk today with lasting accomplishments in harmony with the times. Relying on Christ, our people were committed to the hope of a peaceful and prosperous world, and believed in the triumph of liberty and justice. With this vision and confidence, we shall continue to defend our righteous cause, that resonates today in the hearts of many people throughout the world, even though the Armenian Genocide as of yet has not been universally recognized and condemned. We shall also continue our efforts in the recognition of the independence of the Republic of Nagorno Karabagh and to eliminate the illegal blockade of our country.

Dear pious faithful,

It is necessary today as well to fight the good fight of faith, so that the worship of God, love and harmony be steadfast in our lives; so that goodness is lasting; and our deeds are productive for the sake of our present and our future. Today we live that important period of our history when our national life and statehood are advancing and being rebuilt in Armenia and the Diaspora; when we have been presented with the opportunities to make our aspirations manifest; to lead to victory the strengthening of our homeland, the implementation of our national goals and the efforts aimed at the progress of our people. Each individual in his sphere of service and his work, shall make progress with the saving Will of God and the divinely pleasing path of love for homeland, which results in bountiful goodness to our life and makes us pleasing to God. As the apostle recognized the Risen Christ by the signs of the tortures He bore for all mankind, thus does Christ recognize us – his followers – through the witness of faith, by renouncing all which is opposed to the Will of God and opposed to goodness, justice and truth.

Dear ones, the words of the apostle resonate for each one of us: "Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called." Let us remain faithful to the holy and righteous life of Christianity chosen by our pious forebears. In our families, in our personal relationships, and in the participation of our national life, let us keep bright the luminous lamp of faith, and as the apostles exhort us, "keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life," Jude 1:21; and resembling "those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12.

With the joy of Christ’s Holy Resurrection, we extend our best wishes to the incumbents of the hierarchal sees of our Holy Apostolic Church: His Holiness Aram I, Catholicos of the Great House of Cilicia; His Beatitude Archbishop Torkom Manoogian, Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem; His Beatitude Archbishop Mesrob Mutafian, Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople; and to the oath-bound ranks of clergy of our Church.

With the love of Christ, we greet the heads of our sister Churches, asking for the Lord to grant His most bountiful graces to their faithful flock.

With the glad tiding of the Lord’s Holy Resurrection, we greet the President of the Republic of Armenia, Serzh Sargsian; President of the Republic of Nagorno Karabagh, Bako Sahakian; and all high ranking state officials of the Armenians, asking for the Almighty’s blessings for their lives and efforts made in the cause of the welfare of our native country and our people dispersed throughout the world.

We convey our greetings and best wishes also to the heads and representatives of diplomatic missions accredited in Armenia. May their deeds on behalf of a world at peace, friendship and cooperation among peoples be fruitful through the blessings of our Lord.

On this wonderful Easter Sunday, we offer our prayers before the Holy Altar of Descent of our Risen Savior, asking God to grant prosperity and vibrancy to the land of Armenia with generous goodness. May he keep our small flock – the Armenian nation – in peace and welfare. We appeal to our Lord to keep our people unified with our holy faith, grant new strength and might to the realization of our righteous aspirations.

May the graces of the Risen Christ be dispersed throughout the world, so that all nations can build the life of which humanity dreams, with hope and faith, in friendship and brotherhood, filled with love, harmony and serene peace, today and forever. Amen.

Christ is Risen from the dead.
Blessed is the Resurrection of Christ.

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 12:00:02 AM »

Easter celebration videos in St. Mark's Cathedral, Cairo, Egypt (in order):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkkNXgGv5cc&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC3D_xJ4ac0&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptavwM_yoHM&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDeCGwsdFF8&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba3O8RzqlZA&feature=channel

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Feast of the Resurrection
April 4, 2010
Papal Message

H. H. Pope Shenouda III
Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of the See of Saint Mark

My beloved sons in the lands of immigration, priests and congregation.

Peace and grace from Our Lord, hoping that God may bless your lives and sanctify them and may every work that you do be successful.

We thank God Who granted us to complete this Holy Pascha in peace and has brought us to the joys of His Resurrection. Our joy is not merely the joy of the Feast after ending the fast. Our joy however, is a spiritual joy, as the apostle said, "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice." (Philippians 4:4)

I wish that you meditate well on this phrase and practice rejoicing in the Lord and on how it should be. We rejoice in the presence of the Lord with us during this period, to strengthen our faith and to speak to us about matters pertaining to the Kingdom of God (Acts 1:3). He gives us the feeling that He is with us all the days and to the end of the age. (Matthew 28:20)

These are the feelings of the holy fifty days after the Resurrection. Do we have such joy and contemplate on its reasons as a principle for these fifty days, focusing all our thoughts on matters pertaining to the Kingdom of God? Do we examine what are these matters and how to live by them?

I hear so often some people, whilst being perplexed asking me, how can we keep our spirituality during these fifty days when we have been deprived from fasting and prostrations during these days and also from the liturgies that begin in the afternoon and end at sunset? Whereas some say more than that, how can we overcome lukewarmness during these days? Here I say to you that every season has its own spiritual nature. Fasting and prostrations were the nature of the Great Lent. However, there are other spiritual means for the holy fifty days. What are they?

In the period of the fifty days, the focus is on prayer, spiritual reading, contemplation, praising and hymns, deep spiritual meetings, exercises of repentance and spiritual growth.

This is what each individual as well as those who are responsible for the ministry should be concerned with. It is inevitable to present spiritual nourishment to take place of the fast. Spiritual nourishment was the aim and the means of the fast, "Every word that proceeds from the mouth of God." (Matthew 4:4)

If fasting includes self control and strong will, we should continue in these two virtues with various and many exercises.

With respect to food, it is not appropriate to lose control when breaking the fast. We should eat with self-control and not with gluttony. We should not be like those who after breaking the fast cause upset to their stomachs, or those who destroy and lose all of the benefits of the virtues of fasting without wisdom or discernment by the way they eat.

One of the exercises of self-control during the fifty days after Lent, is lack of eating between meals. It is a useful spiritual exercise, as it is at the same time useful for the health of the body. Whereas this may be difficult for some with respect to the many visits and banquets that they attend and host, this can be minimized by lack of eating as much as we can between meals, except when necessary.

We do not fast during the fifty days after Lent according to the saying of the Lord, "can the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them?" (Mark 2:19) The reason therefore, is our feeling of the Lord’s presence with us or our presence with Him. This will take place through the continuity of prayer or through the remembrance of the Lord.

Through this, the fifty-day period after Lent is a period of prayer, contemplation and our feeling of being in the presence of the Lord, as were the disciples after the Resurrection. "Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16) It is a period in which praising increases. There is no doubt that this also agrees with the saying of Saint James the apostle who said, "Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms." (James 5:13) Some beneficial spiritual exercises are memorizing psalms and parts of praise and using them as an opportunity for contemplation, in order for them to originate from the heart as prayer. That is why the apostle repeats the phrase, "singing in your heart to the Lord" "making melody in your heart to the Lord."

May the Lord grant it to be a period of spiritual joy for you my beloved, in which you rejoice in the Lord and to make the Lord rejoice by your pure lives that are filled with God’s love. Hence, the period of these fifty days was also a period of repentance, since by repentance heaven and earth rejoice according to the Lord’s saying, "There will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents." (Luke 15:7) How much more so if he also grows in grace.

Therefore, be a source of joy to God, His angels and to heaven. Be also a source of joy for us when we hear about your righteous life, your growth in grace, ministry and in every good work. The Lord be with you and wishing you a happy Feast of the Resurrection.

(Signed)

Shenouda III

The Feast of the Resurrection April 2010

jydeacon
ΙΙδιακον

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Love the Lord your God with all your strength

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 06:04:57 PM »

Mina, do you know where I can find the full liturgy from the cathedral from this year, I can't seem to find it. Thanks

Pray for me

ΙΙδιακον
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »

I'm sorry jydeacon.  I personally can't find the whole liturgy myself.  If you have friends who have CTV, see if any of them recorded it (I don't think CTV will show reruns of the liturgy).

And usually in experience watching the liturgy on TV, I don't think they continue after the Pope's sermon (after the gospel).

God bless.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:48:17 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 11:37:45 PM »

Thank you for the videos, Mina!

Here is a video from Etchmiadzin, showing the Jrakalooyts service.  That is the liturgy on the Eve of Easter, and at the end of it the deacons bring candles down from the altar, so that people can light their own candles from them and take them home:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArmenianChurch#p/u/0/DuKGZ0vOAzw

At 1:30, you see some kids giving the traditional Easter greeting:

Kreesdos Haryav ee Merelots (Christ is risen from the dead)

Orhnyal eh Harootyoonun Kreesdosee (Blessed is the Resurrection of Christ)

Tags: Holy Week 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: