OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 04:32:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OCA vs. ROCOR?  (Read 1396 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: March 30, 2010, 06:13:29 PM »

what are the differences between the Orthodox Church in America and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia?

didn't they both come from the ROC?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »

They have much in common, like Russian tradition. OCA is mostly New-Calendar, ROCOR is Old-Calendar. ROCOR Churches usually don't have pews and there can be more Church Slavonic. ROCOR Priests and believers can be a bit more conservative (morally, liturgically) than the OCA's ones. Some ROCOR Parishes are allowed to Western or Old-Russian rite. OCA is (or, to not anger anyone: acts as) an autocephalous Church, while ROCOR is a self-ruled Church within Moscow Patriarchate.

They both have Russian Origins but there are a few differences realted to Revolution and all that stuff afterwards. Now they are in communion with  each other (and with the rest of Worldwide Orthodoxy), so enjoy both of them (if you have an opportunity).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:29:30 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »

OCA was affiliated with the Soviet-entangled Moscow Patriarchate, while ROCOR severed all contact as they considered Moscow to be totally corrupted by the communists.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »

OCA was affiliated with the Soviet-entangled Moscow Patriarchate, while ROCOR severed all contact as they considered Moscow to be totally corrupted by the communists.

Most canonical Orthodox churches were in communion with the MP during the Soviet period; ROCOR did not allow concelebration with the MP, but it always recognised the baptisms and marriages of people who had done so in MP churches.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 06:37:14 PM by LBK » Logged
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:44:27 AM »

I would say that the OCA dosen't have as wide an "array" of services

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:05:36 AM »

Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia, a titular metropolitan in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Great Brittan, while he was Timothy Ware, author of "The Orthodox Church," an excellent contemporary survey of Orthodoxy (which I wish he'd update since the early '90's update that was published), who was in the ROCOR for a time years ago, stated in "The Orthodox Church," that the ROCOR had retained the richness of the most traditional of practices of traditional, historic, Russian Orthodoxy.  For a few years, before its blessed reunion with the Patriarchate of Moscow, the ROCOR was affiliated as a sister church with the moderate Old Calendar Greek Synod in Resistance, Fili, Greece.  He was not comparing it to the OCA with these comments; and I paraphrased the essence of his comments, they are not quoted herein.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:14:35 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 04:34:45 PM »

Actually, the Metropolia (what the OCA used to be called) separated itself from Moscow in 1924 and was officially considered in schism with Moscow until Moscow decided to grant it autocephaly in 1970.

For the OP: http://orthodoxwiki.org/ROCOR_and_OCA

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: