OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 04:49:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Trip to Greece  (Read 442 times) Average Rating: 5
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: March 30, 2010, 03:55:19 PM »

Intro: I'm a convert to Orthodoxy, baptized 4 years ago. My parents are Presbyterian/evangelical. When I converted, my mom showed a lot of interest, at least on an intellectual level, in Orthodoxy. Without any prompting from me, she bought a lot of books on the Orthodox Church and read them. She attended my baptism on Lazarus Saturday and the Liturgy the next (Palm Sunday morning). She has since been back to church with me once, when I took her and my dad to Christmas Eve Vigil December 2008. She seems to enjoy Orthodox worship, though perhaps she feels the "formality" is "not for her," preferring the "spontaneous" evangelical style. She has expressed to me her sadness that she cannot take communion at my church. We discussed the reasons why the Orthodox Church practices closed communion and what we believe about the Eucharist. She claims she believes in the Real Presence (which makes me wonder why she's not bothered that her church doesn't!?). Also, whenever we talk about faith issues, she seems to agree on an intellectual level with Orthodox teaching 90% of the time; except, that is, when it comes to ecclesiology! I'm pretty sure she thinks Orthodoxy is just another denomination, which "works" for me, but is not the right "fit" for her. I tend not to talk with her about faith matters these days, just because I don't want her to feel like I'm trying to push Orthodoxy on her. I still desire and pray that her and my dad would convert, but I know that if that happens, it will happen according to God's will and His timing.

Okay, just wanted to provide a background. Here is my question:

Around the time that I first became Orthodox, my mom started expressing an interest in traveling to Greece! Why Greece of all places? It's hard for me to believe its just a coincidence; I feel like maybe God wants her to go to Greece for a reason, hint hint. She has really been talking about it recently, now it seems like she likely will go to Greece sometime this year.

I know this is sorta silly, but I was wondering if there are any particular places people know of in Greece that I could recommend to my mom to visit where perhaps she could encounter Orthodoxy in a personally meaningful way, where some "magic" might rub off on her and nudge her toward conversion. I feel like I'm being ridiculous in this way scheming to convert my mom, but I just don't want her to go to Greece and miss the opportunity to experience a bit of its religious life amid all the gyros and tzatziki.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »

1. Meteora, including stay in Thessaly
2. Catacombs under the Cathedral of St. Demetrios in Thessaloniki
3. Chios
4. Rhodes, including hike or ride to monastery of Thari in the mountains

In general, spend as much time as possible outside of Athens. Also, to be honest, one really needs a citizen to show you around -- not one of these corporate tours.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »

1. Meteora, including stay in Thessaly
2. Catacombs under the Cathedral of St. Demetrios in Thessaloniki
3. Chios
4. Rhodes, including hike or ride to monastery of Thari in the mountains

In general, spend as much time as possible outside of Athens. Also, to be honest, one really needs a citizen to show you around -- not one of these corporate tours.

Thanks. Yeah I'm not sure what sort of trip she'll be going on. I hope its not a secular corporate thingy.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: