OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 08:36:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question regarding Orthodox homeschooling communities  (Read 1685 times) Average Rating: 0
RLNM

Faith: Orthodox

RLNM
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:32:17 PM »

Where/how do I find an Orthodox homeschooling community/support system/group?

My children are comming up on the end of their second year learning at home, although I've only been technically homeschooling for about 8 month. (I had them in an internet based public school for last year).  I would truely like to have some sort of a homeschooling community to connect up with for support. I've had plenty of ups and downs these past 2 years, with this past year being really rocky.

I've seen it mentioned before that there are some Orthodox homeschooling groups out there. How should I go about locating one? Are there any that are virtual rather than in person? I rather suspect I wouldn't find any within commuting distance.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »

Where/how do I find an Orthodox homeschooling community/support system/group?

My children are comming up on the end of their second year learning at home, although I've only been technically homeschooling for about 8 month. (I had them in an internet based public school for last year).  I would truely like to have some sort of a homeschooling community to connect up with for support. I've had plenty of ups and downs these past 2 years, with this past year being really rocky.

I've seen it mentioned before that there are some Orthodox homeschooling groups out there. How should I go about locating one? Are there any that are virtual rather than in person? I rather suspect I wouldn't find any within commuting distance.

Yahoo! groups would be a good place to start. Alternatively, you might try contacting your diocese office.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »

Yahoo! groups would be a good place to start.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodoxclassicalhs/
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »

Before this turns into another Homeschool VS Public School thread, let's bring this back to the original topic:  How does one get information on local homeschooling coops or organizations?  If you'd like to debate the merits of homeschooling versus public schooling, please follow this link: Homeschool VS Public School.  Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

EofK, Orthodox Family Forum Moderator

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
calligraphqueen
Elder

Faith: GOA

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:40:24 AM »

The only "Orthodox" community I have found in 13 years of doing this is the Orthodox classical yahoo group mentioned above. Its not strictly classical format nowadays, seems we have people doing a bit of everything.

Orthodoxy does not seem to have caught on to the homeschooling issue the way protestant Christianity has, and some folks have been bold enough to tell me its a cultural issue. I have had to find homeschool groups online or locally-but I am careful to find ones that are located out of non mainstream churches (the one I have now is based out of an ''evangelical-free'' church, whatever that is) or even secular groups. I live in the Bible belt in a famously protestant area, so its probably a bit more hostile to Orthodoxy than it should be. Look for local groups and see their statement of faith, if they have one. Or start one with a playgroup at a local park, lots of folks just do that. An impromptu picnic or soccer game is a good way to meet others that are hs'ing.
RLNM

RLNM
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 03:35:25 PM »

Thanks for the link Tuesdayschild. I also appreciate all of your advice Calligraphqueen. The idea of looking at a local group, but trying to avoid any that are strongly alligned with a different denominational view is something I've been thinking about anyways, so your suggestions and advice has helped ease my concerns. Thanks again.

"This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."
Tags: homeschooling 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: