OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 04:36:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: are monks,and bishops allowed to eat meat?  (Read 2300 times) Average Rating: 0
question

« on: March 30, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »

just like the title says are they allowed to eat meat? I heard they arent
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »

Monastics are not allowed to eat meat. Most bishops are monastics so a lot probably don't eat meat but I'm sure some do since lay people like to prepare meals for bishops when they visit and meat may be involved and a bishop would probably eat it out of consideration for the person.

The reasons why monastics don't eat meat is for bodily repentance and abstinence by denying themselves the strong nourishment that it provides. The other reason is spiritual so one can return to the state of Adam while he was still in paradise before the fall and while in paradise, they did not eat meat.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:29:46 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »

Many Greek bishops eat meat and this has been going on for centuries since it is hard not to eat meat and be going around to people's houses.  Bishops are also permitted to perform marriages, which monastics are not usually allowed to do (unless they are assigned to a parish, which is, strictly-speaking, an aberration, but somewhat necessary in our time). In a sense, then, bishops are monastics but are returned to the status of "secular"/"diocesan" clergy on their election since they are back in the world.

I don't know many Russian bishops personally but I understand that they keep the vegetarian diet more strictly than their Greek counterparts.

I have no information on other local Churches' practices and am only speaking from my personal experience.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:33:49 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »

I have no information on other local Churches' practices and am only speaking from my personal experience.
They usually live on, as we say, "porc si rugaciuni", that is "pork and prayers" (a pun on "post si rugaciuni", "fast and prayers"). Shocked
CRCulver
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Finland and Romanian Orthodox Church

St Stephen of Perm, missionary to speakers of Komi

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »

The prohibition of meat to monastics is not absolute. Fish is eaten on Athos on certain feasts.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »

Many Greek bishops eat meat and this has been going on for centuries since it is hard not to eat meat and be going around to people's houses.  Bishops are also permitted to perform marriages, which monastics are not usually allowed to do (unless they are assigned to a parish, which is, strictly-speaking, an aberration, but somewhat necessary in our time). In a sense, then, bishops are monastics but are returned to the status of "secular"/"diocesan" clergy on their election since they are back in the world.

I'm still not comfortable calling a Bishop a monastic in the present tense, the reasons above being added to my current objections (they are forced by virtue of their election to break the central obedience to the Igoumenos and their marriage to the Monastery).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:14:54 PM »

The prohibition of meat to monastics is not absolute. Fish is eaten on Athos on certain feasts.

Fish is not classified as meat though. Hence why it is taken during fasts on certain days.  I know you know that, but I'm not sure why you are bringing it up in this thread since I am understanding that we are talking about bishops eating things like steak and chicken. But maybe that's not everyone's understanding and you wanted to clarify that point.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:19:19 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:41:06 PM »

There is a story from the Desert Fathers that bears repeating often:

When Abba Holarion (the Great) was old, he determined to leave his monastery for a while and take a trip through the Known World.  Anon, he cane to Cyprus, where Abba Epiphanios (the Jew) was Bishop; this same Epiphanios had once been a monk at Scetis.  Abba Holarion arrived at the episcopal residence, received a cordial greeting, and spent the afternoon in edifying converrsation with the bishop.

When it drew on to evening, the bishop summoned his deacon and bade him prepare supper; the deacon returned with a freshly killed and plucked chicken.  Abba Hilarion was aghast.  "Forgive me, Father, never since I took the habit in Egypt have my lips tasted meat," he said.  Abba Epiphanios replied, "Indeed, when I took the habit in Egypt, I made a vow to that effect; but now that I'm a bishop, I'm obliged to eat whatever my people provide me."  Then, after some thought, he added, "When I took the habit in Egypt, I made a vow never to go to bed angry with anyone."  Abba Hilarion replied, "Forgive me, Father, your way is better than mine."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:43:44 PM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Tags: bishops 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: