Author Topic: Orthodox Palm Sunday Celebration (2010)- Snaps Around the World  (Read 998 times)

Offline theorthodoxchurch

• georgy
  • georgy
    • Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE Society
Orthodox Palm Sunday Celebration-2010

Orthodox Palm Sunday Celebrations- 2010
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2010/03/orthodox-palm-sunday-celebrations-2010/

Palm Sunday Celebrations in Ethiopia- Exclusive Snaps

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2010/03/palm-sunday-celebrations-in-ethiopia-exclusive-snaps/

georgy

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: Orthodox Palm Sunday Celebration (2010)- Snaps Around the World
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:39:02 AM »

Beautiful!

Thanks for sharing!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Online rakovsky

• Protokentarchos
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »
I read that some rites, maybe like the Roman Catholic Stations of the Cross, came from rites in Christian Jerusalem like the procession along the Via Dolorosa.

Does the Orthodox Church of Jerusalem today have Palm Sunday processions or a Good Friday procession like the Stations of the Cross on the Via Dolorosa?

I read that this year the Holy Land Trust, which partners with the Middle East Council of Churches, had a Palm Sunday procession from the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem to the wall area separating Bethelem from Jerusalem, and it had a donkey, referring to the donkey Jesus rode on on Palm Sunday.

Have you heard of village processions with a donkey before?

I know some Orthodox villages do have processions where they carry things, and probably involve horses or donkeys.

Online rakovsky

• Protokentarchos
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 07:44:30 PM »
Also, this website claims that the Patriarch of the Orthodox Church leads a procession from the Mount of Olives on Palm Sunday:
http://balita.ph/2009/04/13/eastern-orthodox-christians-celebrating-palm-sunday/

But elsewhere I read that the Latin "Patriarch" of Jerusalem does this. Maybe the Philipino article is wrong?

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:26:28 PM »
Also, this website claims that the Patriarch of the Orthodox Church leads a procession from the Mount of Olives on Palm Sunday:
http://balita.ph/2009/04/13/eastern-orthodox-christians-celebrating-palm-sunday/

But elsewhere I read that the Latin "Patriarch" of Jerusalem does this. Maybe the Philipino article is wrong?

IIRC the Orthodox Patriarch does indeed do the procession.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Online rakovsky

• Protokentarchos
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »

Thanks, father. would you be able to point me to someplace I can read about this?

Online rakovsky

• Protokentarchos
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 02:10:50 AM »
Fr. George,

Well, I searched on the internet, but failed to find more saying that the Orthodox Patriarch leads a Palm Sunday procession from the Mount of Olives, but there's alot of sites saying that the Latin Patriarch does, so it seems like there's a good chance that it's the Latin Patriarch that does it, and then some people confused the two Patriachs.

Regards.