OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 09:38:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti-ecumenical priest kicked out  (Read 1241 times) Average Rating: 0
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« on: January 11, 2004, 02:15:06 AM »

NOTIMEX 10 january 2004

Fr. Sergio Navarro, 66, presbyter at Santiago Ap+¦stol Church in Tula, Hidalgo, was removed as parish priest this week, according to a bulletin issued by the local Diocese.

Although no reason was given for the removal, the priest had been involved in several incidents of intolerance since last year, in a region hit by ocassional disputes between Catholics and members of Evangelical denominations.

In March, a young pastor was beaten by angry Catholics while he was preaching in one neighbourhood. News reports informed that the priest Fr. Sergio incited the people to expell Evangelical famillies, and actively opposed the acceptance of Protestant children in the local school.

Although an agreement between local leaders and the government allowed the construction of an Evangelical Church, the temple has not opened for religious services because the priest suddenly dennounced the agreements previously signed and another unfortunate incident in which Catholics burnt an American flag in front of the Evangelical worship place.

Although the divisions he caused within the community are the reason of the priest removal from the parish, announced by the office of Bishop Octavio of Tula last wednesday, the local press informed that some parishioners had repeatedly complained about the "too conservative" way he celebrated mass and the way he attacked the Pope in his sermons. "He was turning the people against the Bishop and the Pope" a young parishioner said.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 02:19:13 PM »

"Anti-ecumenical"?!?  It's a bad thing/"ecumenist" to have both RC and protestant children in the same school?!?!  Inciting people to "expell" other people, who happen to not go to the same church is a Good thing?! (I need an emoticon of the Vulcan one-eyebrow-lifted  in query.)

This person is supposed to be an example of Christian charity?

Ebor
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 02:20:05 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 03:24:11 PM »

Yes...that was my opinion rather but I thought I better keep a low profile as to criticise would make it seem that I was an ecumenicist anti-Roman heretic.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 05:48:47 PM »

Ah, but is it "criticism" to say that an action is bad?  I mean one that is bad no matter what the situation.  It seems to me that, for instance, wanting to keep children who are, in some way, different out of a school is bad whether it's due to religion or ethnicity or skin colour etc etc.  As long as the various children are not doing evil things such as bullying, why should they not all be in school?

While I may be Anglican, no one here has called me an "ecumenist" yet... maybe they're just being very polite.  Cheesy Or they figure I'm already hopeless.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 05:57:57 PM »

Hey don't worry Ebor I agree with you entirely.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 09:42:12 AM »

SO why are they kicking this guy out?  I mean who wants a bunch of dirty protestants going to school with your kids?  You know that that stuff is catching!!  You might just send you kids to school good catholics and have them come home bible thumping fundies!

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 03:13:54 PM »

Hmm

well I do know some schools that  are Catholic in name but  are actually Muslim in roll

I mean Schools where 90% of the kids in each class are Muslim  - and that is a designated public RC School.

You have more chance of turning a child of a fundamentalist background than you have a Muslim.

It's s sad reflection of Society

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: