OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:46:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholics venerating Orthodox Saints  (Read 1796 times) Average Rating: 0
Edward Yong

Faith: Greek-Catholic (for the moment)

« on: January 10, 2004, 04:29:26 AM »

CIX!

Hiho all. I'm being driven up the wall by this crazy Trad RC (Feenyite no less) on an online forum. How do I prove that Eastern Catholics have permission to venerate post-schism Saints? My criterion - "he/she is OBVIOUSLY holy" - doesn't work for these people, and they want documents. I'm beginning to think that their concept of the Holy Trinity is actually comprised of "Paper, Ink and Rubber Stamp".

Where can I show these nuts that Russian Catholics, for example, have permission to have a full Orthodox calendar?

"The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr" - Mahomet
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 08:48:03 AM »

The old Catholic Encyclopaedia mentions that the Ethiopian Catholic Church venerates St. Tekle Haimanot.  He was a mediaeval saint.

I myself have seen a discussion on a traditionalist list where it was admitted that certain union agreements permitted some E.C. Churches to retain their post-schism saints.

In IC XC
Samer
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 01:25:03 AM by SamB » Logged
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 09:45:20 AM »

As to how to deal with a feenyite, or any cafeteria Catholic, I simply wouldn't deal with them.

I am unfamiliar with the norms for Eastern Churches, but for private veneration, all Catholics may venerate anyone who led a holy life. I personally often pray to my great grandmother and my grandmother, who helped raise me.

If someone was to say that they needed to be officially canonized first, well, that would border on a quasi-protestant fundamentalism. "She ain't canonized, so yur an idolater."
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 01:01:07 PM »

Feenyites are whackos.  Give up trying to convince them of anything because if they were rational, they wouldn't be feenyites.  

On-line debates are worthless for the most part anyway because a certain subset of posters are crazy but debates with people who adhere to some whacko faith are even less likely to achieve anything.  For example, look at that Joe Zollars guy.  Has anyone ever convinced him of anything?  No.  He just hops from one whacko position to another, ignoring everyone's wise advice.  Your feenyite is probably no different.  You quote documents and he'll twist them to fit his agenda.  And if he's crazy and you're sane then it doesn't matter how rational you are, because he won't listen because he's too crazy.
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 02:47:31 AM »

There's a difference between the followers of Feneey and the Traditional Catholics.

Feneey and his followers rebeled themselves against Pope Pius XII who was a "Traditional Catholic" and their extremist possitions were condemned. However, Feneey was forgiven and died in full communion with the Pope.
Feneeyists have not contributed in any way for the restoration of the Old Latin Liturgy such as Archbishop Lefebvre and his followers did.

Now, both Traditional Catholics and Orthodox share the same possition which is consistent with the Apostolic tradition. Christ only founded one Church and it's the one who protects the true faith, the true sacraments. Those who are outside the Church, although good and nouble, are simply not of the true Church.

They can have qualities and love Jesus Christ so much but they do not shar communion with his Church, they're not in perfect union with the Orthodox faith and therefore, they cannot be acknowledged as saints.

I am not agreeing with this traditionalist possition, but I just expose it.

The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 02:54:03 PM »

I guess it's back to the drawing board for graceless heretics like us. Smiley
carpo-rusyn
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 06:40:22 PM »

[Now, both Traditional Catholics and Orthodox share the same possition which is consistent with the Apostolic tradition.]

I think it's rather odd having 2 groups who both hold to the same view but condemn each other as not being part of that same church.  Back to the drawing board, indeed!

CR
a graceless hairy-tick
Byzantine Christian

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 03:07:53 PM »

"Feenyites" there the worst, I remember being a Byzantine Catholic and them saying I am not Catholic because I was not Roman there a Joke. Ignore them.
When I was a ByzCath I venerated St. Alexis Toth.

"Now, both Traditional Catholics and Orthodox share the same possition which is consistent with the Apostolic tradition. Christ only founded one Church and it's the one who protects the true faith, the true sacraments. Those who are outside the Church, although good and nouble, are simply not of the true Church. "

I Completly agree, Orthodoxy Teaches that we are the One True Church.
Western Christianity fell into Heresy and Schism they seperated them selves
from the true church, and lost all Sacaramental Grace, and are no longer "Churches".

I've come across a few "feenyites". The ones I talked to dont even recognize this current papacy as a true roman catholic, what every they say...  Roll Eyes

In Christ
BC
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 03:12:11 PM by Byzantine Christian » Logged
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 03:42:31 PM »

I remember being a Byzantine Catholic

Just remind me ByzChristian - how long ago was this ?

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
lutheraninquirer

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 11:22:32 AM »

I do not understand Feeneyites or their logic.  They adhere to a strict interpretation of "no salvation outside the church", and believe that unless one is subject to the Roman pontiff, hell is inevitable.  However, by flatly rejecting the authority of JPII, they have removed themselves from the authority of JPII and have damned themselves.  At www.ihsv.com, run by guy in his 20's (nothing against people in their 20s, but now that I'm in my 30's I've come to understand why the Constitution says that presidents have to be at least 35), they proclaim protestants to be damned to hell, but aren't Feeneyites the worst kind of "protestant" according to their own logic?  Protestants don't believe the Pope is the "vicar" of Christ, whereas  Feeneyites do believe that the successor of Peter is such a "vicar" but they are "protesting" him anyway.    

The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 02:47:36 PM »

Ours is not to reason why....
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2004, 11:03:48 PM »

Edward -

I posted your question to the Eastern Catholic guy at EWTN's Q&A section but have thus far not received a reply.

I'll post the response here if I ever get one.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: