OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 10:43:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what exactly is palm Sunday?  (Read 658 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: March 28, 2010, 01:37:16 AM »

tonight at vespers we were all handed a blessed palm tied to a willow.  tomorrow is palm Sunday, and we are to bring them and process the church with them.  why?  what is palm Sunday?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 01:46:09 AM »

I do not think you should bring the willow twig back; you keep it inside your house or at your house's eave; it brings you good luck, chases away the evil spirits, prevents storms and hail etc.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:51:33 AM »

tonight at vespers we were all handed a blessed palm tied to a willow.  tomorrow is palm Sunday, and we are to bring them and process the church with them.  why?  what is palm Sunday?
Are you familiar with Matthew 21:1-11?
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 02:03:28 AM »

thanks, PeterTheAleut.  I'll read the passage.

I'll bring both back, but I'll ask the priest if I was supposed to.  if not, I'll just leave the willow in the car. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
yochanan
Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OMHKSEA (Philippines)

O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 02:46:22 AM »

Are you familiar with Matthew 21:1-11?

Christ rode a donkey right? A donkey is an unclean animal (for the Jews), this is (I think) a symbolism of His subjugation of the Nations (e.g. Gentiles). He has made also the Gentiles His dwelling place -- thus, He now dwells in the whole wide world Wink Christ has conquered the whole world! He is the Everlasting King!

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 05:29:59 AM »

Our Lord entered Jerusalem riding a donkey. This is the fulfillment of prophecy. (Psalm 118:26; Zechariah 9:9) The people waved palm branches and laid them on the path before Him, crying out "Hosanna in the highest!" But in five short days, the crowds would shout "Crucify Him!"

Palm Sunday reminds us that Christ is God, worthy of our praise and worship. It also reminds us how fickle and sinful our human nature is. How quickly we can go from praising God to forsaking Him. Palm Sunday begins Holy Week, the week when we remember Our Lord's betrayal, mocking, denial by St. Peter, suffering, crucifixion, and death. Palm Sunday reminds us that although we praise Christ, we are nevertheless responsible for His suffering and death. Our sins crucified Him. Holy Week is the culmination of Great Lent, when we strive to purify ourselves and reflect continually on the sacrifice Our Lord suffered because of His love for us. The Palm branches remind us to always praise Him, not only on certain occasions, but in every moment and every action of our lives.

I would also add that the palm branches do not bring us "good luck." Our Faith is not superstition. The blessed palm branches are sanctified and holy, and thus they will anoint our home with the spiritual power that all sacred things possess (such as icons, crosses, etc.)

OK, that's my understanding about the meaning of Palm Sunday. I hope I am not too off base. I'm sure others can correct me if I have made any errors.

Selam
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:33:36 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 06:36:33 AM »

Without delving into the spiritual meaning of the day...

Palm Sunday (one of the 12 Great Feasts of the Orthodox Church) is the day of Christ's Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem to prepare for His Passion, Death, and Resurrection.  The entry was triumphal because the crowds which had seen Him raise Lazaros from the dead went into Jerusalem and created a stir about Him and the great miracle He had performed.  Jerusalem was filling quickly in anticipation of the Jewish feast of Passover, which was to take place that week, so there was a great crowd present - Jews from the immediate area, and also from all around the Mediterranean world.  As Jesus approached the city, the people gathered at the entry-point to the city and shouted praise to Him, and waved and laid down branches of palm trees (and even their cloaks) on the road in front of Him.  "Hosanna in the Highest!  Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!" 

This triumphal entry, and all the "buzz" about Jesus' coming, also stirred up the Pharisees and Sadducees once again, who did not understand the popular devotion to Jesus, and did not like it.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: