OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:09:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Were Byzantine Catholic Bishops Thinking!?.  (Read 5477 times) Average Rating: 0
bkovacs

Faith: Byzantine Christian

« on: March 27, 2010, 10:42:40 AM »

From Rorate Caeli. March 27, 2010. No wonder they don't take part in Ecumenical Services with the Orthodox. They prefer this style of worship.

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/

Watch the ending of the ceremony. A great applause after a Pentecostal style Roman Mass.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RECongress#p/a/u/1/dO1iLNdQHaY

"We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth, for surely there is no such splendor or beauty anywhere on earth." The Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »

I'm confused, I didn't see any Byzantine Rite clergy in the first video. Did I miss something?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:23:42 AM »

To be fair to the Byzantine Catholics, I don't think this signifies a general ByzCath approval of this kind of "service." I don't know what specific circumstances got these bishops into it.

It's pretty atrocious though. I think it shows that there is even more that divides Rome from the Church than is on the surface. Supposing the big wigs at Rome decided to formally renounce their various heresies, can we still be confident that they are orthodox as long as this tomfoolery runs rampant?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »

I only have a few comments. First, you can not deny that it was impressive that there were 40,000 in attendance. Secondly, I do wonder what the Eastern bishops were thinking, as the very question was posed by the poster at rorate-caeli. Third, the production struck me as an attempt to counter the impact so-called Protestant 'mega-churches' have these days.(Given Pope Benedict's academic history with respect to Liturgics, I wonder what he would think? I have read commentary over the years that the Pope would be happier with a smaller Church that was more proper liturgically and spiritually.) I am curious if any Eastern Catholic faithful, particularly of the Byzantine or Ukrainian Greek Catholic Churches, were there and what their impression of the event was.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »

I'm confused, I didn't see any Byzantine Rite clergy in the first video. Did I miss something?

You can see them in the youtube video clip.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 02:45:08 PM »

This is gross. Way to worship with the nous. Maybe all of Western Christianity is experiencing burnout. They certainly have in Europe since long ago. I'm just glad it wasn't 'us' in those videos.
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 03:21:51 PM »

Augh!  I had to turn off the video of the beginning of that (which I dare not call a liturgy for risk of confusing that with Orthodox worship).  What were they thinking?!

The production itself is enough, but the play-by-play narration puts it way, way over the top.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 03:25:13 PM by Orual » Logged

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »

They are not Orthodox. So what do you expect? I did not like the Liturgy either, but who are we to judge? Those people were there to worship God. They probably don't know better.

Let's look at our own souls before we criticize others.

The words of the presiding bishop in the video:
The Father of mercies has given us an example of unselfish love in in the sufferings of His only Son. You believe that by His dying, Christ destroyed death forever! May you receive everlasting life!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 03:33:57 PM by samkim » Logged

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 04:46:54 PM »

They are not Orthodox. So what do you expect? I did not like the Liturgy either, but who are we to judge? Those people were there to worship God. They probably don't know better.

I agree that we must resist the temptation to judge the people involved. However, the Liturgy is part of the Sacred Tradition of the Apostles. It is not subject to personal preference any more than the Bible or the Creedis subject to personal preference.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 04:59:50 PM »

I agree that we must resist the temptation to judge the people involved. However, the Liturgy is part of the Sacred Tradition of the Apostles. It is not subject to personal preference any more than the Bible or the Creedis subject to personal preference.

Yes. But they are not Orthodox. It would be illogical to hold them to our own standards.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:00:30 PM by samkim » Logged

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »

Yes. But they are not Orthodox. It would be illogical to hold them to our own standards.

They were once.
wynd
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Transfiguration

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 05:56:27 PM »

True, but questions like this will have to be looked at in any serious attempts at reunion of the two churches.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 06:03:14 PM »

This same post was also started this morning on another Board dealing with the Eastern Catholic Church. I thought that this response from someone who had participated in the conference and worked with his Bishop was interesting and sheds some light on the question posed in the title as well as the feelings of an Eastern Catholic who was there. With his permission, I am posting his response from that Board for the readers of this forum. FYI, Bishop Gerald is the Bishop of the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of the Western United States.

Hi all,

A brief introduction, since it's my first post, before I comment on this thread.

I've been reading the forum for about a year or so now, but I just registered this past fall when I started in the St Stephen's program. I'm a cradle RC (pre-Vatican II), but left the Church when I was about 11, that was 1963 or so. I pursued a number of non-Christian spiritual traditions for almost 40 years. When I was living in Bulgaria (1996-2005), I returned to the Catholic Church, but in its Byzantine expression. Shortly after coming back to the US and becoming a member of a Ruthenian Catholic parish here, I canonically transferred to the Byzantine Ruthenian Church.

I wanted to share a little background with you about Bishop Gerald's presence at that conference. I cannot speak for Bishop, of course, but I can give you some context for what was going on. Last year, Bishop decided the eparchy would have a vendor booth at the conference, to disseminate information on the Eastern Catholic Churches to the conference attendees. Bishop Gerald, one of our Basilian sisters, the pastor of my local parish, and myself went. We had a booth with many books on Eastern Christianity, plus icons, prayer ropes, etc. We also had lots of free literature about the history and spirituality of the Eastern Catholic Churches. Over the course of the 3 days, we had the opportunity to talk to hundreds of people who stopped by our booth. Some of these conversations were of real depth. Also, Fr Pipta from our church in San Diego gave a talk on Eastern Catholicism at one of the sessions on the conference schedule.

At the end of the conference, I did (hesitantly) attend the concluding Mass. It was pretty much the same as what they seem to have done this year. I have very little post VII RC experience, and so I was stunned and even horrified by what I saw. I cried for a bit as I sat there. And, yes, in some ways, it seemed very much like a Protestant mega-church service. To some of us, it felt more like a performance than a worship service. However, at the moment of the consecration, I understood that Our Lord was present, just as He is in the Byzantine liturgy I so love. For me, the form of that Mass was tragic and caused me great sorrow, but I believe that it is still a Mass.

For this year's conference, Bishop decided we would again have a booth, and the eparchy was also able to arrange to have a Byzantine liturgy on the conference schedule. Bishop Gerald concelebrated the liturgy with several priests of the eparchy. We had deacons, servers, choir, etc. We didn't know how many people would show up, but 1200 conference attendees came to our liturgy in a transformed hotel ballroom! Fr Rankin, the pastor of St Melany's here in Tucson, gave a talk to the attendees just prior to the start of the liturgy, explaining what they were about to see, and giving them some background and context for it.

I wasn't able to go this year, but when I inventoried the books that came back (our entire little bookstore had gone on the road to the conference), I discovered that we had sold almost every copy of every title we had that related to the Byzantine liturgy. I'm sure this was a direct result of people having attended our liturgy, as last year, not a single title on Byzantine liturgy sold.

I know that last year many of the people who came by our booth expressed how glad they were that there was an Eastern Catholic presence at the conference. And many catechists who came by took materials to share with their students.

While I don't always agree with all the decisions and policies of the Byzantine Ruthenian Church in the US, I do think there was a good purpose served both years in our being at this conference. We were like a little oasis, and there were people who came to drink of our water.

Hope you're all having a blessed and fruitful Great Fast,

Jaya
bkovacs

Faith: Byzantine Christian

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »

Just because Latin American Catholics are becoming more attracted to Pentecostalism, is no justification to altar the Roman Rite, to make it look and feel more like a Pentecostal service, just to keep them Catholic. Not justified one bit!. Hope and pray that these groups don't start embracing Orthodoxy with an agenda to make it more Pentecostal like.

"We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth, for surely there is no such splendor or beauty anywhere on earth." The Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 02:33:21 AM »

Since all Eastern Catholics are in union with the Pope in Rome, they must therefore accept all the theological decrees that have come from him and his predecessors.  This includes the RCC's permission and even endorsement of charismatic Pentecostalism (for those who wish to participate in this movement, it isn't forced on anyone).  This means that, while EC bishops and priest do not have to partake in these types of services they must still except their validity as a legitimate charism of the Catholic faith.  This also means that they can participate in charismatic services and masses if they so choose, as can all EC faithful (this bishop included).  

If he were OC then that would be a different story (although I'm sure that there have been OC clergy who have participated in pentecostalism before, somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:35:08 AM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »

I watched the Video and I all I can say is "ughhhhhh".

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 01:15:39 PM »

Robb, that abominable display in Los Angeles is a grave violation of the liturgical norms, not "approved." It violates every conciliar and papal canon on the liturgy I can think of. Unfortunately Cardinal Mahony is an embarrassment to his office, and I thank God that he will be retiring next year. May God have mercy on his soul for what he has done to the Church of Los Angeles in 25 years.
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 03:49:27 PM »

Well, it may be a gross violation of the Roman norms, but it has still been permitted (in the archdiocese of a Cardinal, no less).  The Vatican is free to lay down the law and stop liturgies such as this, but I seriously doubt that they will considering that the charismatic movement is officially approved by the RCC.  If they were to step in and stop such practices then they risk offending millions of charismatics who have relied on them for support for so many years (which the Vatican has always given them).

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 04:03:01 PM »

It being Holy Week for all of us, I think it is appropriate for us to stop our speculation about what another Church should or shouldn't be doing with respect to her liturgical norms or aberrations as the case may be. At first I couldn't understand why the Byzantine Catholic Bishop Gerald was involved, but after re-reading Jaya's post, I can see where His Grace saw an opportunity to expose a large number of western Catholics to the beauty and solemnity of the Liturgical expressions of the Christian East - that is the beloved Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom which we Orthodox honor along with our separated Eastern Catholic brothers and sisters. God works in strange ways and great indeed are His mysteries. I for one, am grateful that Bishop Gerald used his opportunity to participate in the conference to allow some light to shine in the direction of the Christian East in the face of what we Orthodox may regard as an odd, to say the least, celebration as portrayed on the videos in question.
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »

Where is the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom in this excess  Huh  Not on their YouTube channel....
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »

There are Orthodox Churches in all traditions that violate Liturgical and Disciplinary canons - I don't see why we need to be judgmental about RC/EC's when we've got plenty of in-house cleaning to do, first.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »

Where is the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom in this excess  Huh  Not on their YouTube channel....

You missed my point, I was not stating what you infer. In the post by Jaya she speaks of a separate Liturgy attended by 1200 in the hotel ballroom, conducted by her Bishop and several of their priests - not the youtube video:

"For this year's conference, Bishop decided we would again have a booth, and the eparchy was also able to arrange to have a Byzantine liturgy on the conference schedule. Bishop Gerald concelebrated the liturgy with several priests of the eparchy. We had deacons, servers, choir, etc. We didn't know how many people would show up, but 1200 conference attendees came to our liturgy in a transformed hotel ballroom! Fr Rankin, the pastor of St Melany's here in Tucson, gave a talk to the attendees just prior to the start of the liturgy, explaining what they were about to see, and giving them some background and context for it."
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 06:28:16 PM »

Well, Mahony is the Archbishop of Los Angeles. He can do what he likes, but he will answer to God for every faithless act. I sometimes wish the Pope would go ultramontanist on Mahony's [rear], but recent popes have been careful to not treat other the bishops as mere functionaries (a good thing overall). But not sacking Mahony does not mean that monstrous display is approved. It violates all liturgical canons all the way up to Vatican II's Sacrosanctum Concilium. God will be the judge of Cardinal Mahony, but Pope Benedict is doing an overall fine job of making sure Mahonys no longer become bishops.   
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »

There are Orthodox Churches in all traditions that violate Liturgical and Disciplinary canons - I don't see why we need to be judgmental about RC/EC's when we've got plenty of in-house cleaning to do, first.

True, but you will never see any clown liturgies or pizza used for communion bread. I think we are very fortunate that we only have to worry about things like truncated prayers or plastic spoons.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 06:48:29 PM »

True, but you will never see any clown liturgies or pizza used for communion bread. I think we are very fortunate that we only have to worry about things like truncated prayers or plastic spoons.

Well, how about the millions of people who have excommunicated themselves (according to a few canons) by going to Liturgy and not receiving the Body and Blood of Christ?  Yes, we have different liturgical traditions (i.e. Greek vs. Slavic, Kollyvades-influenced and not) - but we also have Apostolic and Patristic and Synodical canons that state that if you go to Liturgy and don't receive, or if you miss 3 Liturgies in a row, that you are excommunicated.  We don't talk about it too much, because it is an issue that needs resolution from the highest (or lowest, depending on your POV on the Episcopacy) levels.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 07:14:04 PM »

Well, how about the millions of people who have excommunicated themselves (according to a few canons) by going to Liturgy and not receiving the Body and Blood of Christ?  Yes, we have different liturgical traditions (i.e. Greek vs. Slavic, Kollyvades-influenced and not) - but we also have Apostolic and Patristic and Synodical canons that state that if you go to Liturgy and don't receive, or if you miss 3 Liturgies in a row, that you are excommunicated.  We don't talk about it too much, because it is an issue that needs resolution from the highest (or lowest, depending on your POV on the Episcopacy) levels.

With great respect, Fr George, Iconodule is right. If there was even a hint of the use of "liturgical dance", groovy music, or routine use of altargirls or laymen/laywomen distributing the Eucharist in an Orthodox church, it doesn't take much imagination to work out what would happen next, or, how quickly. If an Orthodox bishop were to drag his heels on the perpetration of such nonsense, the laity would justifiably rise up like the proverbial stones before he could blink. There are many, many RC who are justifiably mortified by the silly excesses which have infected sections of their church in the name of being "modern" and "relevant", yet, in many cases, such frivolity is condoned by the bishops themselves. Ewwww.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 07:30:33 PM »

O Lord and Master of my life...

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 07:45:21 PM »

Yes, we have different liturgical traditions (i.e. Greek vs. Slavic, Kollyvades-influenced and not) - but we also have Apostolic and Patristic and Synodical canons that state that if you go to Liturgy and don't receive, or if you miss 3 Liturgies in a row, that you are excommunicated. 
I was at an Orthodox liturgy recently and at this Church few people received. So you say that all of those who did not receive at Communion time were automatically excommunicated from the Orthodox Chiurch?
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 08:09:27 PM »

There is a distinct lack of humility here as we are in Holy Week. When I was a child and went to Sunday School at my Orthodox Church, we were taught not to boast or brag or take pleasure in the problems of others. 

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk.
But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant.
Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 09:21:03 PM »

There is a distinct lack of humility here as we are in Holy Week. When I was a child and went to Sunday School at my Orthodox Church, we were taught not to boast or brag or take pleasure in the problems of others. 

What about pity? That's honestly what I feel for traditional Catholics when I watch this.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »

With great respect, Fr George, Iconodule is right. If there was even a hint of the use of "liturgical dance", groovy music, or routine use of altargirls or laymen/laywomen distributing the Eucharist in an Orthodox church, it doesn't take much imagination to work out what would happen next, or, how quickly. If an Orthodox bishop were to drag his heels on the perpetration of such nonsense, the laity would justifiably rise up like the proverbial stones before he could blink. There are many, many RC who are justifiably mortified by the silly excesses which have infected sections of their church in the name of being "modern" and "relevant", yet, in many cases, such frivolity is condoned by the bishops themselves. Ewwww.

I'm not advocating ignoring things - just taking care of our own problems before we become too critical of others. 

---------------------
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »

Yes, we have different liturgical traditions (i.e. Greek vs. Slavic, Kollyvades-influenced and not) - but we also have Apostolic and Patristic and Synodical canons that state that if you go to Liturgy and don't receive, or if you miss 3 Liturgies in a row, that you are excommunicated. 

I was at an Orthodox liturgy recently and at this Church few people received. So you say that all of those who did not receive at Communion time were automatically excommunicated from the Orthodox Chiurch?

Well, technically there's no "automatically excommunicated" in Orthodoxy, so no, that's not what I'm saying. 

But there are canons of the ancient Church which state that we're supposed to be ready for and receiving Holy Communion every week - so if someone wanted to make a case before a bishop or ecclesiastical court that people should be excommunicated, well, they technically have the ammunition - and it comes directly from the Saints and Fathers of the Church.

I was only bringing it up as just one small example of how we are quite guilty ourselves of Liturgical problems - and that we should spend our energy working out these problems before we waste ink/time/electricity chastising those with whom we are not even in Communion.

---------------------
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 09:59:24 PM »

My Orthodox friends, we are effectively going through our own Iconoclastic crisis, though thank heaven the diabolical rebellion is not now being led from Rome.

Please pray for us. Though the tide has turned, it will likely take a generation to restore liturgical sanity to many circles of the Catholic Church. I recall fondly the fine homily on this subject given by His All-Holiness Bartholomew at Mass during the Holy Father's visit to the Phanar in 2006.

May we Catholics heed those words from EP Bartholomew (as well as those expressed by Pope Benedict) as we work to restore the Roman rite in all our parishes. 
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »

You missed my point, I was not stating what you infer. In the post by Jaya she speaks of a separate Liturgy attended by 1200 in the hotel ballroom, conducted by her Bishop and several of their priests - not the youtube video:

I was at the Library looking at the YouTube channel for this Diocese of LA Religious Congress when I posted my initial comments.  I was looking for the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom officiated by the Eastern Catholic Bishops which apparently never existed.  I apologize for my haste in posting.   angel
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 01:47:48 AM »

If every Orthodox Christian was automatically excommunicated for not being canonically correct, then their probably be few OC's in good standing with the Church around today.  I feel that, like it or not some things do need to change from time to time.  The world of the Apostles and Fathers was a radically different one then we live in today.  The Churches members were more fervent in their faith (plus people were a lot tougher back then and could take all kinds of rigors and self discipline more easy then our more weaker populace).

Also, I am sorry to here that there are even some Orthodox who would consider forcing people to receive communion every week if they do not choose to do so.  One of the reasons that attracted me to the OC was that they did not believe in the practice of frequent communion (something that the RC's try to force everyone to do with often times disastrous consequences).  I have always believed that most men should only receive three or four times a year (women are more spiritual people so they can receive more).  Since this seems to be the practice in most OC parishes I've heard about, I just assumed that it always was the case (at least in recent times).  I really hope that they don't start changing things and becoming more strict about discipline the moment I step on board (God knows I've had more then enough religious fundamentalism thrown at me in recent times).

-- Gustave Flaubert
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 08:47:04 AM »

.... I have always believed that most men should only receive three or four times a year (women are more spiritual people so they can receive more)....
Please explain - especially the "more spiritual" part.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 10:33:13 AM »

.... I have always believed that most men should only receive three or four times a year (women are more spiritual people so they can receive more)....
Please explain - especially the "more spiritual" part.

Yeah, what exactly are you saying?
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »

If every Orthodox Christian was automatically excommunicated for not being canonically correct, then their probably be few OC's in good standing with the Church around today.  I feel that, like it or not some things do need to change from time to time.  The world of the Apostles and Fathers was a radically different one then we live in today.  The Churches members were more fervent in their faith (plus people were a lot tougher back then and could take all kinds of rigors and self discipline more easy then our more weaker populace).

Also, I am sorry to here that there are even some Orthodox who would consider forcing people to receive communion every week if they do not choose to do so.  One of the reasons that attracted me to the OC was that they did not believe in the practice of frequent communion (something that the RC's try to force everyone to do with often times disastrous consequences).  I have always believed that most men should only receive three or four times a year (women are more spiritual people so they can receive more).  Since this seems to be the practice in most OC parishes I've heard about, I just assumed that it always was the case (at least in recent times).  I really hope that they don't start changing things and becoming more strict about discipline the moment I step on board (God knows I've had more then enough religious fundamentalism thrown at me in recent times).

I understand that you can't hold even close to everyone to the standards of the early Christians--a devout life is a choice, and you cannot "get" someone to be a better Christian. You can and must help them, but you cannot make them.

However, I disagree with the idea that today's people are inherently weaker. Ancient Jewish/Roman society was much more violent than today's (stoning sinners, frequent civil wars, etc.), but the early Christians were basically pacifists--they resisted the violence of their society. Cannot today's Christians struggle equally hard to resist the laziness of society?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 11:10:31 AM »

I echo Lubeltri's sentiments. We in the Catholic Church definitely have some cleaning to do. Please pray for us.

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 11:27:14 AM »

The Church was founded in lands that were hostile to the faith and killed those who professed it. God's truth is eternal and does not "change with the times." We honestly cannot say people were more or less pious back then, as most writings were written by pious people. Since the masses were illiterate and Gallop polls had not been invented yet, we do not know how pious the general population was.

God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. So too, are the beliefs of His Church.

The only person qualified to tell you how often you should receive communion is your Spiritual Father, for he knows what is best for you. For some individuals, it is beneficial to receive every week. For others, less often.

We should not judge who is and who is not in line for communion on Sunday's, but rather pray that we are in fact worthy to receive the gifts when we stand in line.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 12:59:14 PM »

I echo Lubeltri's sentiments. We in the Catholic Church definitely have some cleaning to do. Please pray for us.

You all have had my earnest and heartfelt prayers for sometime and I will continue to keep you all in my prayers. It broke my heart to see things like that when I was RC and it still hurts to see that.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2010, 04:54:38 PM »

Women are more spiritual people then men, that's why they have a more religious nature to them (and even a connection to the supernatural as well).  This is why women tend to be drawn more to religion and attending church then men.  Maybe it has something to do with the ability to become mothers and create human life?

Also, I do believe that people today are far weaker and less able to withstand harsh punishment's inflicted by themselves or others (at Least, in our Western society) then they were in the days of the Roman empire.  Life back then was very violent and harsh with the average person living into their 3O's.  The more more weaker individuals died in either infancy or childhood, so society was made up of those who were and more able to endure through the harshness of those times.  Nobody can seriously compare today's modern men with the types they had back then without overlooking the obvious differences in lifestyle, mortality, and social structuring.

While God and his rules may not change, the way we, as a Church or a society interprets them does.  Today's Christians, even the most devout, do not live in the exact same world that the early Church inhabited.  We have a much more broader understanding of things like psychology and genetics then they did in those times.  We know that some people just are not built, whether mentally or psychically for a rigorous life (this would include most of today's Western men and women).  This is why the Church has the Oeconomia, the principle that you can loosen up the rules if a greater good will come out of doing so.  This is exactly what our soft, yet good hearted society needs today, less discipline and rules, more love and forgiveness.

-- Gustave Flaubert
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 05:56:47 PM »

Women are more spiritual people then men, that's why they have a more religious nature to them (and even a connection to the supernatural as well).  This is why women tend to be drawn more to religion and attending church then men.  Maybe it has something to do with the ability to become mothers and create human life?

Also, I do believe that people today are far weaker and less able to withstand harsh punishment's inflicted by themselves or others (at Least, in our Western society) then they were in the days of the Roman empire.  Life back then was very violent and harsh with the average person living into their 3O's.  The more more weaker individuals died in either infancy or childhood, so society was made up of those who were and more able to endure through the harshness of those times.  Nobody can seriously compare today's modern men with the types they had back then without overlooking the obvious differences in lifestyle, mortality, and social structuring.

While God and his rules may not change, the way we, as a Church or a society interprets them does.  Today's Christians, even the most devout, do not live in the exact same world that the early Church inhabited.  We have a much more broader understanding of things like psychology and genetics then they did in those times.  We know that some people just are not built, whether mentally or psychically for a rigorous life (this would include most of today's Western men and women).  This is why the Church has the Oeconomia, the principle that you can loosen up the rules if a greater good will come out of doing so.  This is exactly what our soft, yet good hearted society needs today, less discipline and rules, more love and forgiveness.

The twelve apostles and the Son of God were men.

Men and women are both in the image of God, equal. In Christ, there is neither male nor female. Your assertion that women are more spiritual is about as Orthodox as purgatory, and your previous statement that women are more worthy to receive Communion is simply false. Robb, No one is worthy to receive Communion, but we receive it anyway. There is absolutely no precedent in the Sacred Tradition for what you have said.

Also, if people are weaker today, then they need the Holy Mystery more frequently, not less frequently.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:59:32 PM by Rufus » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2010, 05:57:17 PM »

My Orthodox friends, we are effectively going through our own Iconoclastic crisis, though thank heaven the diabolical rebellion is not now being led from Rome.  
I don't think that this is true. The post Vatican II liturgical revolution came directly from the Vatican.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »

I don't think that this is true. The post Vatican II liturgical revolution came directly from the Vatican.
The abuses you see are not from the Vatican. A Novus Ordo mass, properly celebrated, is very beautiful and reverent.

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 06:17:03 PM »

The abuses you see are not from the Vatican. A Novus Ordo mass, properly celebrated, is very beautiful and reverent.

I have to agree, I have been to a couple Novus Ordo masses in Europe, including on Easter, and it was always very reverent and proper, although I have never seen a Tridentine mass for comparison.
Jake C
Catechumen

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 06:19:01 PM »

Lord have mercy!

That youtube video practically looks as if a pentecostal group decided to play dress-up as Catholics...Lord have mercy on me if that was judgmental.

And while I have never seen a Novus Ordo mass, I attended a Tridentine Mass several years ago, and it was beautiful!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:19:52 PM by Jake C » Logged

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »

I have to agree, I have been to a couple Novus Ordo masses in Europe, including on Easter, and it was always very reverent and proper, although I have never seen a Tridentine mass for comparison.

If you ever get a chance, you should go to a Tridentine High Mass. It is absolutely heavenly. But, be sure to have an english translation with you.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:28:35 PM by Papist » Logged

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »

If you are saying that women are generally more sentimental and emotional, then I agree. By emotional, I mean its good sense - that women are more likely to display an appropriate emotion with the ability to verbalize about it. But sentimentality does not equal spirituality.
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »

If you are saying that women are generally more sentimental and emotional, then I agree. By emotional, I mean its good sense - that women are more likely to display an appropriate emotion with the ability to verbalize about it. But sentimentality does not equal spirituality.

Well, women do tend to be more religious then men (as n going to Church on a regular basis, praying more, etc...).  This ties into emotionalism, I guess.  Women just seem to be more interested in religion, spiritual things then  do men (who seem mostly interested in more worldly concerns, making money, machismo). 

Also, Forgive me if I sound a bit raving about this topic.  I grew up with a nasty, verbally abusive stepfather who made my young life non too pleasant by always berating me about every little thing.  Years later, I became involved with a sect/cult which warped my mind and has caused me all sorts of emotional problems.  These experiences sort of tough me that we do not need to practice exterior penances and self denial so much because, for some of us anyway, these things seem to be built into our lives and re surface from time to time. I have a very hard time dealing with these particular issues (which have scarred both my mind and soul). Orthodoxy attracts me because it preaches that God is loving and merciful, not a cruel tyrant who wishes to pounce on us for every little infraction we make.  I cling to this concept of God for my sanity and sometimes get a little touchy when someone seems to put a muh harsher face on the Almighty then I try to think of him as.

-- Gustave Flaubert
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2010, 03:08:37 AM »

Partly true, but mostly not true. The Vatican introduced all kinds of novelties with the New Mass and this can be seen by looking at some of the Masses celebrated by the Pope and other clergy in Africa and elsewhere. This flows from the liberalisations introduced in Rome at Vatican II and its aftermath. There would not be such a Mass as we see here today in Los Angeles if it had not been for the Vatican II Council. So Rome is completely responsible and it makes no sense to blame any one else  such as Martin Luther, Calvin, the Baptists, the Orthodox, the Jews, the Buddhists,  the Hindhus, the atheists, or anyone else.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »

That's why I said "not now". Of course the liturgical reform turned out to be disastrously imprudent. I wish we could just go back in time, but such is not possible.

Happily the current papacy is leading the way toward the rehabilitation of both forms of the Roman rite.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 06:17:15 PM »

Partly true, but mostly not true. The Vatican introduced all kinds of novelties with the New Mass and this can be seen by looking at some of the Masses celebrated by the Pope and other clergy in Africa and elsewhere. This flows from the liberalisations introduced in Rome at Vatican II and its aftermath. There would not be such a Mass as we see here today in Los Angeles if it had not been for the Vatican II Council. So Rome is completely responsible and it makes no sense to blame any one else  such as Martin Luther, Calvin, the Baptists, the Orthodox, the Jews, the Buddhists,  the Hindhus, the atheists, or anyone else.
This is just silly. The reforms are not directly responsible for what you see. The reforms called for continued reverence. These abuses do not. Your accusations are analogous to blaming God for our sins since he created us.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 07:20:56 PM »

This is just silly. The reforms are not directly responsible for what you see. The reforms called for continued reverence. These abuses do not. Your accusations are analogous to blaming God for our sins since he created us.
Like I said, I do not blame Martin Luther, Calvin, the Baptists, the Orthodox, the Jews, the Buddhists, the Hindhus and I also do not blame God.  The reforms all came in as a result of Vatican II and let's not forget  that Cardinal Mahony operates with the full support and endorsement of the Vatican.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »

Like I said, I do not blame Martin Luther, Calvin, the Baptists, the Orthodox, the Jews, the Buddhists, the Hindhus and I also do not blame God.  The reforms all came in as a result of Vatican II and let's not forget  that Cardinal Mahony operates with the full support and endorsement of the Vatican.
The reforms came as a result of Vatican II. The abuses came as a result of people misusing their free will.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »

The reforms came as a result of Vatican II. The abuses came as a result of people misusing their free will.
I don't think that Cardinal Mahony would agree that the Masses he has been celebrating for all of these many years or that the Masses at his LA Congresses are abuses. And as far as I know, Cardinal Mahony operates with the full support of Rome. After all, who appointed and supports Cardinal Mahony?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 02:12:02 PM »

I don't think that Cardinal Mahony would agree that the Masses he has been celebrating for all of these many years or that the Masses at his LA Congresses are abuses. And as far as I know, Cardinal Mahony operates with the full support of Rome. After all, who appointed and supports Cardinal Mahony?

So you want to Pope to go ultramontanist on him? Is that what you are asking for?

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »

So you want to Pope to go ultramontanist on him? Is that what you are asking for?
I think that Rome supports Cardinal Mahony and in general supports the post-Vatican II liturgical renewal. 
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »

It IS kind of hard to believe Rome's ultramontanist claims that the Church needs a strong centralized head with supreme authority when she refuses to use that supreme authority to prevent things like this. What's the point of claiming such authority if such incidents just get ignored?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »

It IS kind of hard to believe Rome's ultramontanist claims that the Church needs a strong centralized head with supreme authority when she refuses to use that supreme authority to prevent things like this. What's the point of claiming such authority if such incidents just get ignored?
What's the point in you criticizing the Catholic Church for having a strong central authority if you think it should be used?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »

What's the point in you criticizing the Catholic Church for having a strong central authority if you think it should be used?

You're missing the point, which is that the claims that Papal supremacy ensures unity, order, and doctrinal coherence in the church are false.

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2010, 11:02:08 PM »

I would like to point out that in the Orthodox Church, which does *not* have centralized hierarchy, an abuse such as this one:
   a) would never happen in the first place; and
   b) would result in swift action by the hierarchy, and whoever was responsible for the act would certainly be deposed.

The Vatican could clean this mess up in a heartbeat. Why don't they?
wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2010, 11:08:11 PM »

You're missing the point, which is that the claims that Papal supremacy ensures unity, order, and doctrinal coherence in the church are false.

I would like to point out that in the Orthodox Church, which does *not* have centralized hierarchy, an abuse such as this one:
   b) would result in swift action by the hierarchy, and whoever was responsible for the act would certainly be deposed.

I've had internet troubles all day so I haven't had a chance to reply, but I see I have no need to. These posters hit the nail on the head.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2010, 11:04:20 AM »

I think its because the Pope doesn't believe in treating the Bishops as mere figure-heads.

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2010, 11:11:03 AM »

Your synods couldn't prevent the Icons from getting smashed or Iconodules from getting imprisoned, killed or exiled. Remember that?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »

Your synods couldn't prevent the Icons from getting smashed or Iconodules from getting imprisoned, killed or exiled. Remember that?

Did I miss something? Is there an imperial army enforcing this liturgical abuse?

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »

Big news out of LA today:

Pope Benedict XVI has named Archbishop Jose H. Gomez of San Antonio, Texas, as Coadjutor Archbishop of Los Angeles. The appointment was announced today, April 6, in Washington, D.C., by Archbishop Pietro Sambi, apostolic nuncio to the United States.

As Coadjutor, Archbishop Gomez, 58, will automatically become head of the three-county Archdiocese of Los Angeles upon Cardinal Roger Mahony’s retirement at age 75 on February, 27, 2011. A Mass of Reception for Archbishop Gomez is scheduled for May 26.

Cardinal Roger Mahony will introduce Archbishop Gomez today, Tuesday, April 6 at a 10 a.m. press conference inside the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.

http://www.archdiocese.la/news/story.php?newsid=1169

-

So Cardinal Mahony's 25-year reign in Los Angeles ends next February.

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles includes more than 5 million faithful.

And the Pope's replacement? A Mexican-American Archbishop of San Antonio, Texas, and a numerary of Opus Dei. By all accounts he is orthodox. I know from my own experience with Opus Dei that their priests celebrate the Sacred Mysteries with reverence and dignity.

Deo Gratias.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:01:53 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »

I'm trying to imagine someone celebrating a "Mariachi Choir Mass" with reverence and dignity...

http://www.sfcathedral.org/aboutus_massshedule.html

Looks like the Catholic traditionalists are grasping at straws on this one.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 03:30:10 PM »

Big news out of LA today:

Pope Benedict XVI has named Archbishop Jose H. Gomez of San Antonio, Texas, as Coadjutor Archbishop of Los Angeles. The appointment was announced today, April 6, in Washington, D.C., by Archbishop Pietro Sambi, apostolic nuncio to the United States.

As Coadjutor, Archbishop Gomez, 58, will automatically become head of the three-county Archdiocese of Los Angeles upon Cardinal Roger Mahony’s retirement at age 75 on February, 27, 2011. A Mass of Reception for Archbishop Gomez is scheduled for May 26.

Cardinal Roger Mahony will introduce Archbishop Gomez today, Tuesday, April 6 at a 10 a.m. press conference inside the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels.

http://www.archdiocese.la/news/story.php?newsid=1169

-

So Cardinal Mahony's 25-year reign in Los Angeles ends next February.

The Archdiocese of Los Angeles includes more than 5 million faithful.

And the Pope's replacement? A Mexican-American Archbishop of San Antonio, Texas, and a numerary of Opus Dei. By all accounts he is orthodox. I know from my own experience with Opus Dei that their priests celebrate the Sacred Mysteries with reverence and dignity.

Deo Gratias.

Deo Gratias!

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »

I'm trying to imagine someone celebrating a "Mariachi Choir Mass" with reverence and dignity...

http://www.sfcathedral.org/aboutus_massshedule.html

Looks like the Catholic traditionalists are grasping at straws on this one.

Hey, I never said he was a traditionalist. But he IS orthodox, and he is tolerant of diverse liturgical expressions, especially the traditional Roman (and Anglican Use) liturgy. Cardinal Mahony welcomes anything as long as it isn't traditional (which he actively impedes).

San Antonio was in a pretty bad state when Archbishop Gomez arrived five years ago---it takes time to rebuild after years of damage. The Saturday evening "Mariachi Mass" is probably a holdover from before his arrival---though at least it doesn't look quite as terrible as I feared:

LOL, I'll take traditional Mariachi music over Marty Haugen at Mass---if I had no other choice.

I'll place bets that His Excellency doesn't celebrate that Mariachi Mass. He has been wonderful for vocations in that archdiocese---the number of seminarians has doubled since he was installed archbishop.

Well, either way, I'm happy to see an Opus Dei archbishop in Los Angeles---things will gradually change out there with new leadership at the helm.

John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 09:43:23 PM »

It's being interpreted on NBC news as a signal that the future of Catholicism in the US is Hispanic. Out with the liberal English-speakers and in with the more traditional-minded Spanish-speaking kind is one way to look at it. My own view is that "American" English-speaking Catholicism is a lost cause and will eventually be reduced to an "orthodox" rump which can witness to the faith. Through attrition alone, one can imagine the number of Novus Ordo parishes to Anglican-use or Latin parishes starting to decrease, with the latter producing more vocations.

There's a picture of him distributing the Eucharist at an Anglican-use parish - I visited the parish link and the priest indicated that they were unhappy with the decision to send him to Los Angeles.. . because he didn't want him to leave Texas!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:44:25 PM by John Larocque » Logged
Hamartolos
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 10:13:42 PM »

I really have to comment on that video.  Seeing it really made me realize something about being Orthodox...  This type of 'worship' is now foreign to me!  Hoorayy!

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »

I really have to comment on that video.  Seeing it really made me realize something about being Orthodox...  This type of 'worship' is now foreign to me!  Hoorayy!
Its foreign to me too buddy.

Hamartolos
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 10:22:24 PM »

I'm glad you don't have to put up with that when you attend mass.  Hopefully when the third edition of the Roman Missal is implemented, liturgical abuses in Catholicism will stop.

Formerly known as "mctavix"
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 10:28:58 PM »

I'm glad you don't have to put up with that when you attend mass.  Hopefully when the third edition of the Roman Missal is implemented, liturgical abuses in Catholicism will stop.
Agreed. Keep us in your prayers. Smiley

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2010, 12:08:07 AM »

This whole situation is truly unfortunate. I wonder how different my impressions might have been of this communion if I had grown up with something besides a "campfire Mass" (acoustic guitars playing hippie music, whitewashed walls, et cetera). I'm not even wondering about the Traditional Latin Mass, although growing up with that would have been incredible, but even just a very dignified and reverent celebration of the Novus Ordo would have done. I never experienced anything like that growing up. It's funny, because another friend of mine who grew up in a southern diocese in Alabama was thoroughly catechized and knew all of the traditional practices that I never learned, like kneeling before entering the row of pews, and other general rules of decorum. He even used to ask Francis of Assisi to pray for him. I was never encouraged to have an active relationship with the saints, aside from learning the "Hail Mary."
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2010, 01:46:19 AM »

It's being interpreted on NBC news as a signal that the future of Catholicism in the US is Hispanic. Out with the liberal English-speakers and in with the more traditional-minded Spanish-speaking kind is one way to look at it. My own view is that "American" English-speaking Catholicism is a lost cause and will eventually be reduced to an "orthodox" rump which can witness to the faith. Through attrition alone, one can imagine the number of Novus Ordo parishes to Anglican-use or Latin parishes starting to decrease, with the latter producing more vocations.

There's a picture of him distributing the Eucharist at an Anglican-use parish - I visited the parish link and the priest indicated that they were unhappy with the decision to send him to Los Angeles.. . because he didn't want him to leave Texas!

So is the Vatican going to drop any concern whatsoever for all the "gringo" Catholics in the U.S. who will just be written off as a lost cause and replaced with Hispanics like something out of an assembly line?

My poor grandparents came off a boat and paid through their teeth to support their parish churches, only to have them closed down or handed over to other ethnic groups.  Now their poor scion will be "freezed out" of the faith which their forefathers so lovingly supported for centuries in Europe because some theological nuts in the 60's started to make changes which caused a complete downward spiral for the RCC which is now counting on mass transplantation of populations in order to survivie in this country?

Sad. 

-- Gustave Flaubert
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2010, 09:43:23 AM »

Robb, that's just my point of view. But it's hard not to view the concept of "American Catholic" as an experiment which has failed. The fundamental assumptions of this group is that "we're just as American as other people in this country" which in 21st century terms means their faith is just cultural and they're just as secular and materialist and "modernist" as their neighbours. There's nothing for their children to hold on to, so their parishes are caught in a death spiral.
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »

I understand that the RCC in America (at least among whites) is slowly dying.  However, it is a shame that the Catholic hierarchy has just decided to abandon the souls of millions of people just because they don't care to try and either fix things or just get them back into their churches.  Instead they choose to depend upon millions of Hispanic immigrants (many of them illegally residing here) to fill their parish pews and pay their bills.  This whole mentality that has been adopted by the RCC in the U.S. relating to Hispanic immigrants seems very sinister to me.  It's almost as if they viewed their faithful as mere drones who, when they became too uppity could easily be replaced by foreign flocks (almost as if they were using Hispanics as a type of scabs against  these perceived parish "strikers"). 

I'm glad that the OC hierarchy, whatever one could say about them still treat their faithful with far more respect and love then do the RCC bishops here in America.

-- Gustave Flaubert
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2010, 05:22:05 PM »

I understand that the RCC in America (at least among whites) is slowly dying.  However, it is a shame that the Catholic hierarchy has just decided to abandon the souls of millions of people just because they don't care to try and either fix things or just get them back into their churches.  Instead they choose to depend upon millions of Hispanic immigrants (many of them illegally residing here) to fill their parish pews and pay their bills.  This whole mentality that has been adopted by the RCC in the U.S. relating to Hispanic immigrants seems very sinister to me.  It's almost as if they viewed their faithful as mere drones who, when they became too uppity could easily be replaced by foreign flocks (almost as if they were using Hispanics as a type of scabs against  these perceived parish "strikers").  

I'm glad that the OC hierarchy, whatever one could say about them still treat their faithful with far more respect and love then do the RCC bishops here in America.

http://catholicism.org/baltimore-archdiocese-confirms-1090-converts-during-easter-vigil.html

Baltimore certainly isn't "depending on foreigners," as you put it.  Even in the height of the recent scandal, they're calling back the lapsed and doing some serious evangelization here in Baltimore.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:23:05 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »

I understand that the RCC in America (at least among whites) is slowly dying.  However, it is a shame that the Catholic hierarchy has just decided to abandon the souls of millions of people just because they don't care to try and either fix things or just get them back into their churches.  Instead they choose to depend upon millions of Hispanic immigrants (many of them illegally residing here) to fill their parish pews and pay their bills.  This whole mentality that has been adopted by the RCC in the U.S. relating to Hispanic immigrants seems very sinister to me.  It's almost as if they viewed their faithful as mere drones who, when they became too uppity could easily be replaced by foreign flocks (almost as if they were using Hispanics as a type of scabs against  these perceived parish "strikers"). 

Where do you get this stuff?

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »

Where do you get this stuff?

I must agree. Perhaps he misunderstands?

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: