OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:29:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terri Schiavo Mocked on FOX's Family Guy  (Read 1448 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: March 27, 2010, 03:20:08 AM »

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/mar/10032315.html

Terri Schiavo Mocked on FOX's Family Guy

TODAY'S HEADLINES   |   SEND NEWS TIPS   |   DONATE
SHARE:  E-MAIL   PRINT     

ST. PETERSBURG, FL, March 23, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) -- On March 21, 2010, Fox aired a prime time episode of The Family Guy, which featured a satire about Terri Schiavo, the disabled Florida woman who was starved to death by court order in 2005 after a lengthy court battle.

The sketch was titled "Terri Schiavo: The Musical." 

In the sketch, Schiavo was mocked and portrayed as being on a number of mechanical life support systems. She is also referred to as a vegetable. The sketch ends with characters calling for pulling the plug.

But, as the Schindler-Shivo Foundation has pointed out, not only is it demeaning to label Schiavo a "vegetable," but she was not even on life support at the time of her death - instead, she simply received her food and water through a tube, since she could not eat normally.

Schiavo died after a court ordered that her feeding tube be removed, in accord with the wishes of her husband, who was living with another woman by the time she died, but against the desires of her family.

Terri's brother, Bobby Schindler stated, in response to the Family Guy episode: "My family was astonished at the cruelty and bigotry towards our beloved sister, and all disabled people that we witnessed in this show. My first thought was how this attempt at satire must have been enormously difficult and painful for my mother.

"After further thought, I realized that using my deceased sister as fodder for satire also validates what our family has been saying for many years. There is growing, deep-rooted prejudice against people with brain injuries and other cognitive disabilities. This sort of bare-faced bigotry is dehumanizing to those with disabilities and cruel to those who work tirelessly to ensure that people with disabilities are provided the proper care, protection and respect. People are not vegetables."

"The depiction of Terri in The Family Guy episode on March 21 is not only inaccurate," stated Schindler, "it seems to take the position that certain people are simply not worthy of receiving medical care because they are viewed as burdens on the health care system."

Schindler said he also believes it is not a coincidence that the episode aired 10 days prior to the five year anniversary of Terri's death (3/31/05), and just weeks before the foundation's first ever Terri's Life and Hope Concert featuring Randy Travis and Collin Raye, slated for April 11th in Indianapolis, Indiana.

The Foundation is calling on all disability rights organizations and pro-life organizations to join them in admonishing the producers and writers of The Family Guy. It will also begin pursuing the sponsors and advertisers of The Family Guy, urging them to stop advertising with the program. 

The Terri Schindler-Schiavo Foundation was established by the surviving family members of Terri Schiavo to protect the rights of people with disabilities.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 04:37:44 AM »

There is a simple solution:
Get up off the sofa, walk over to the TV and unplug it.
There once was a Emperor called Julian who apostatized from the Faith and tried to get his Christian subjects to return to worshiping the pagan gods and idols. The day before the Fast began, he ordered that all the food in the market place should be sprinkled with the blood of animals that had been sacrificed to idols, so that the Christians would be defiled. That night, St. Theodore Tyro appeared in a dream the Archbishop of Constantinople, Eudoxios and told the Bishop to tell the Faithful not to eat the food in the market, but instead to eat "Kollyva". When the Archbishop asked what "Kollyva" were, the Saint replied: "Kollyva is what we call boiled wheat in Euchaita" (the area where the Saint had lived). Archbishop Eudoxios did as instructed and ordered the Faithful not to buy the food in the market place, but to eat boiled wheat instead. The result being that the food in the marketplace went rotten since nobody bought it, and the sellers regretted listening to the Apostate Emperor. This, effectively, was the first boycott.
Similarly, if we Christians would stop tuning in to things which defile us on TV and other media, and instead seek those things which are good and profitable for our lives and our souls, the power of the media to harm would be removed. And if enough people do it, then producers and publishers and bloggers etc would get the message that it is not worth producing rubbish. But as long as people log on to Perez Hilton's blog for the latest gossip, then Perez will keep churning it out.
No one- not even the producers of Family Guy, have any more power over us than what we give them.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 07:16:12 AM »

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 07:35:09 AM »

Great, give the makers of this lame show the manufactured controversy and attention they crave.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 07:40:40 AM »

Oh, goodness - we could have a million threads on this forum saying "__________ Mocked on FOX's Family Guy."  Is anyone (anyone in the US, at least) surprised that Family Guy has pushed the limits of public acceptance in their desire to poke fun at society?  They have nearly literally made fun of every group, opposing pair, and situation possible in the (insert number here) seasons they've been on air.  Heck, in the same episode they'll poke fun at African-Americans & bigots, or white-collar & blue-collar workers & the unemployed, uber-rich and very poor, etc.  I sincerely doubt that this is the most offensive episode they've put on - they've already had one where they made fun of Jews and Nazis at the same time.

Either don't watch the show at all, because they're going to make jokes in bad taste every week, or don't be surprised.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:43:59 AM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 08:34:39 AM »

You know a show is irrelevant when you have to hear about their latest episode on the news.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 09:09:06 AM »

Unfortunately, it is a fact of commercial life that the entertainment divisions of media corporations only broadcast programming which make money and controversy can be an engine for increased ratings and a greater return for broadcast executives and shareholders. Change the channel if you don't like the program.
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »

Oh, goodness - we could have a million threads on this forum saying "__________ Mocked on FOX's Family Guy."  Is anyone (anyone in the US, at least) surprised that Family Guy has pushed the limits of public acceptance in their desire to poke fun at society?  They have nearly literally made fun of every group, opposing pair, and situation possible in the (insert number here) seasons they've been on air.  Heck, in the same episode they'll poke fun at African-Americans & bigots, or white-collar & blue-collar workers & the unemployed, uber-rich and very poor, etc.  I sincerely doubt that this is the most offensive episode they've put on - they've already had one where they made fun of Jews and Nazis at the same time.

Either don't watch the show at all, because they're going to make jokes in bad taste every week, or don't be surprised.

They've also made fun of God and Jesus Christ as well, and this was long before this episode.  Family Guy is one of those programs that just tries to push the limits of what is acceptable (sort of like "All in the Family" was in the 70's).  I started watching years ago because I liked the way they mocked our society and thought that the show had some smart social commentary.  However they have really gone overboard of late.
I also think that, after all that Family Guy has done over the years, for this skit to cause such an uproar is suprising (Sort of like Don Imus comments about Rutgers basketball players being the "final straw" for some people after years of his irreverent humor being ignored by everyone).  This skit didn't cause any shock to me, bu the followers of the Terri Schiavo cult of almost a religion unto themselves and the fanatical devotion they show towards their cause may be poored out upon the Family Guy like a libation.  If only these people would put all their energy into defending God and Christ when they were mocked on this show years ago, then maybe it's creators would not have felt the liberty to move onto satirizing even more sensitive subjects then these.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 05:26:53 PM »

Actually, this show is kind of telling of how American society views human life--you're worth as much as you can do. Terry Schiavo can't do anything, so she's not worth anything. Same thing with abortion. Hooray for hyper-individualism and consumer capitalism. It's fanatical, and it's fanatical because it's a lie.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »

They've also made fun of God and Jesus Christ as well, and this was long before this episode.

Easily the episode I was least comfortable ever seeing was the one where "Jesus comes back" (Peter discovers him working at a record store) - and goes to Hollywood parties, etc.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 12:22:17 AM »

Oh, goodness - we could have a million threads on this forum saying "__________ Mocked on FOX's Family Guy."  Is anyone (anyone in the US, at least) surprised that Family Guy has pushed the limits of public acceptance in their desire to poke fun at society?  They have nearly literally made fun of every group, opposing pair, and situation possible in the (insert number here) seasons they've been on air.  Heck, in the same episode they'll poke fun at African-Americans & bigots, or white-collar & blue-collar workers & the unemployed, uber-rich and very poor, etc.  I sincerely doubt that this is the most offensive episode they've put on - they've already had one where they made fun of Jews and Nazis at the same time.

They've also made fun of God and Jesus Christ as well, and this was long before this episode.  Family Guy is one of those programs that just tries to push the limits of what is acceptable (sort of like "All in the Family" was in the 70's).  I started watching years ago because I liked the way they mocked our society and thought that the show had some smart social commentary.  However they have really gone overboard of late.
I also think that, after all that Family Guy has done over the years, for this skit to cause such an uproar is suprising (Sort of like Don Imus comments about Rutgers basketball players being the "final straw" for some people after years of his irreverent humor being ignored by everyone).  This skit didn't cause any shock to me, bu the followers of the Terri Schiavo cult of almost a religion unto themselves and the fanatical devotion they show towards their cause may be poored out upon the Family Guy like a libation.  If only these people would put all their energy into defending God and Christ when they were mocked on this show years ago, then maybe it's creators would not have felt the liberty to move onto satirizing even more sensitive subjects then these.
"That act was terrible.  Let's watch it again."  - Waldorf or Statler
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:22:30 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 06:38:45 AM »

They've also made fun of God and Jesus Christ as well, and this was long before this episode.  Family Guy is one of those programs that just tries to push the limits of what is acceptable (sort of like "All in the Family" was in the 70's).  I started watching years ago because I liked the way they mocked our society and thought that the show had some smart social commentary.  However they have really gone overboard of late.
I also think that, after all that Family Guy has done over the years, for this skit to cause such an uproar is suprising (Sort of like Don Imus comments about Rutgers basketball players being the "final straw" for some people after years of his irreverent humor being ignored by everyone).  This skit didn't cause any shock to me, bu the followers of the Terri Schiavo cult of almost a religion unto themselves and the fanatical devotion they show towards their cause may be poored out upon the Family Guy like a libation.  If only these people would put all their energy into defending God and Christ when they were mocked on this show years ago, then maybe it's creators would not have felt the liberty to move onto satirizing even more sensitive subjects then these.
"That act was terrible.  Let's watch it again."  - Waldorf or Statler

Waldorf and Statler:
"That act wasn't half bad."
"No - it was all bad!"

---------------------
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 12:59:37 PM »

As usual Robb just needs attention...change the channel..its a free choice we must all make
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »

Well, why can't I just watch this show without having to view such over the top blasphemy?  Shouldn't the network be expected to use some type of discretion considering that this is an open to all channel and not some private, pay network like HBO?

Can't we just have some basic common sense and public decency restored to our airwaves?

-- Gustave Flaubert
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 03:52:31 PM »

Well, why can't I just watch this show without having to view such over the top blasphemy?  Shouldn't the network be expected to use some type of discretion considering that this is an open to all channel and not some private, pay network like HBO?

Can't we just have some basic common sense and public decency restored to our airwaves?
They do use discretion. They discern what is the most appropriate show for a time slot based on what will make the most money there. The problem is that no one watches basic common sense and public decency. Instead, they watch cheap laughs produced for shock value.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »

As usual Robb just needs attention...
You have anything better to do than launch ad hominems at other posters?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »

I think the Simpsons is a lot more serious in its attempt to satirize our culture than Family Guy, although I think once it's gone no similar show will replace it because it is too tame (funny how when I was a kid, though, people had campaigns against it).

I liked the Simpsons episode where I think Lisa asks Homer why people don't notice that Fox News is conservative and yet the Fox network broadcasts disgusting, licentious reality trash shows.  Homer then starts flipping back and forth. "D*** liberals!" as he watches Fox News; "woo!" as he sees some licentious image broadcast.

It's all about the money, IMO.  Boycotts and letter-writing campaigns won't do any good if the network knows that 2x as many people will watch the show because they like the filth.

I'm more with ozgeorge. Just turn the thing off. But if you want entertainment without being exposed to what you consider morally bad, then get a DVR or TIVO and record shows that you have researched in advance on various educational channels and solely watch those (pre-screening). That is pretty much what I do.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 04:36:35 PM »

excellent advice Father...I too can remember when The Simpsons were considered the bane of Western Civilization.almost as bad as Elvis Presley's gyrating hips!
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 09:57:25 PM »

Hahaha I haven't watched TV since the superbowl!!!! Wink Wink Wink Grin Grin

Honestly, just don't watch it. You'll also be setting a good example for the people around you.
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 01:51:46 AM »

Oh, the show isn't that offensive to me.  Besides, I have no children to worry about so this kind of stuff rolls right off my back.

If I did have a family though, I might have some qualms with kids watching a program like Family Guy (unless they were mature enough to handle it).

-- Gustave Flaubert
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 03:50:19 AM »

Oh, the show isn't that offensive to me.
Then why are you complaining?
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 08:04:45 AM »

If I did have a family though, I might have some qualms with kids watching a program like Family Guy (unless they were mature enough to handle it).

That's the problem with Family Guy- once you're mature enough to handle it, you're too mature to watch it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 09:28:52 AM »

But if you want entertainment without being exposed to what you consider morally bad, then get a DVR or TIVO and record shows that you have researched in advance on various educational channels and solely watch those (pre-screening). That is pretty much what I do.
Excellent advice, Father. We have invested in a DVR and it's wonderful. Every so often we'll see (even on network TV) a commercial with sexual innuendo or other material we consider inappropriate for our kids. Even at their young ages, they pick up on more than most would expect. So it's wonderful to be able to skip the commercials and get on to the programming we already deem appropriate.

There are a couple of fringe benefits with DVR, too. One is that the pause feature allows us to engage in conversation without fear of missing anything or having to talk over the TV. If something interesting comes up during a program (pretty often since we tend to watch PBS or one of the other educational channels), we can talk about it. It's turned the television back into a gathering place for family.

The other benefit is that we can record a couple of episodes of our daughter's favourite shows, and if she just has to watch Word World, she can, even if it's 7 pm. Or if it's not a good time or if she's watched too much already, we can say no. It gives us control over what, and how much, the kids watch--and again, we can skip the commercials so they're not inundated with sugared cereal ads.

Tags: Family Guy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: