OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 01:22:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An English speaking Orthodox church in the San Francisco bay area.  (Read 1156 times) Average Rating: 0
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« on: March 25, 2010, 11:31:28 PM »

isn't there an Orthodox church with services completely in English, in the sf bay area?
I can't stand how ethnic these churches are. Can't they just have 2 services,  one in «ethnic» language and the other in English? like how the Roman catholics hold their services?
I feel like my grammar is wrong here someone please correct.

Why couldn't the Apostles have written the Bible in «English» or «Esperanto» instead, they're so much easier, than Greek.  Roll Eyes

Ethnic Ethnic Ethnic Ethnic.........
Κύριε Iησού χριστέ, Υιέ τού θεού ελεησόν με τον αμαρτωλόν.

Greek is insanely difficult, and you orthodox aren't helping me.
I've asked for your help to learn «God's language».

p.s. I've been to several orthodox churches in a few weeks. the Greek one was the least ethnic and actually had the services printed in English and in Greek so I could understand, unlike that Arabic orthodox church.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:39:19 PM by Christianus » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:39:04 PM »

You need a serious attitude adjustment.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:50:11 PM »

Christianus, have you considered that you might receive many more answers, and more positive answers, to your questions if you learn how to word them so you don't cause so much offense to your readers?  There's an old proverb that says you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:50:36 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Christianus
Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 11:50:54 PM »

διά τι μοι τοῦτο λέγεις ;
μιλλώ λιγάκι ελληινικά,«η γλωσσα τού Θεού»
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:52:08 PM »

Can you translate this to English for me.  Thank you.  (Yes, I am speaking as a moderator, so I expect a response.)
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »

It was my understanding that there are EO churches in the Bay Area that have English liturgies.  I know the OO churches there don't have English liturgies, but I was under the impression that you could find an English liturgy at the EO churches there.  I seem to recall that there is an OCA church there with English services.

Christianus
Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 11:56:15 PM »

Christianus, have you considered that you might receive many more answers, and more positive answers, to your questions if you learn how to word them so you don't cause so much offense to your readers?  There's an old proverb that says you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
ἴσως.
Christianus
Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:57:01 PM »

Can you translate this to English for me.  Thank you.  (Yes, I am speaking as a moderator, so I expect a response.)
why are you saying that to me?
I speak a little Greek «the language of God».
Christianus
Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:58:24 PM »

It was my understanding that there are EO churches in the Bay Area that have English liturgies.  I know the OO churches there don't have English liturgies, but I was under the impression that you could find an English liturgy at the EO churches there.  I seem to recall that there is an OCA church there with English services.
cool, finally someone answers my post without calling me offensive, this guy is a true loving tolerant orthodoxos in my eyes.
Where were they?
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 12:00:13 AM »

Here you go:

http://www.holy-trinity.org/index.html

I'm pretty sure their services are in English.  I clicked onto some of their recorded hymns they have on their site and they are in English.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »

why are you saying that to me?
I speak a little Greek «the language of God».
Thank you.  Just a note for future reference that, outside of the Foreign Language boards, English is the default language of this forum.  Therefore, whenever you post text in a language other than English on any thread outside of one of our Foreign Language boards, you need to also post an English translation of your words.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 12:02:36 AM »

cool, finally someone answers my post without calling me offensive, this guy is a true loving tolerant orthodoxos in my eyes.
Where were they?
The thing is:  I didn't call you offensive.  I just voiced a suggestion on how you could make your words less offensive.  There is a difference. Wink
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 12:04:30 AM »

Can't they just have 2 services,  one in «ethnic» language and the other in English? like how the Roman catholics hold their services?

Just so you know, we generally only do one service a day. This is to encourage everyone to be there together as a family at the same time.
Christianus
Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »

Can't they just have 2 services,  one in «ethnic» language and the other in English? like how the Roman catholics hold their services?

Just so you know, we generally only do one service a day. This is to encourage everyone to be there together as a family at the same time.
You're Serbian right? in your country you actually have the liturgy in your language or OCS, which is related to your Slavic language.
I don't so I need the divine liturgy in my language, to be understood.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 12:18:27 AM »

It's actually a hard-and-fast rule in the Orthodox Church that the Divine Liturgy can be celebrated no more than once on one altar in one day.  Anything else is seen as dividing the eucharistic community of the local church into factions.  We who make up the local parish are one community; therefore, we celebrate the Sacramental Mystery of our community, the Holy Eucharist, only once on a Sunday or feast day.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 12:38:25 AM »

You're Serbian right? in your country you actually have the liturgy in your language or OCS, which is related to your Slavic language.

I go to an all English speaking parish under a Serbian bishop in the USA.

Your posts had simply come off as rude and as if you were criticizing the churches you had visited, but it seems I misread you, so forgive me.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 12:41:43 AM »

It's actually a hard-and-fast rule in the Orthodox Church that the Divine Liturgy can be celebrated no more than once on one altar in one day.  Anything else is seen as dividing the eucharistic community of the local church into factions.  We who make up the local parish are one community; therefore, we celebrate the Sacramental Mystery of our community, the Holy Eucharist, only once on a Sunday or feast day.

By "we" I actually meant the whole Orthodox Church, rather than simply my own parish or something like that. I know there are some cathedrals with exceptions, like in Washington D.C. where the OCA has an English liturgy and a Russian one every Sunday, but I don't know if they've constructed multiple altars to justify it, or if they simply serve on the same one.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 12:45:26 AM »

And its just not possible to be present in Church, follow along in a prayer book, pray with others, and after a few months, be able to understand the Liturgy in another language.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 07:56:53 AM »

Why couldn't the Apostles have written the Bible in «English» or «Esperanto» instead, they're so much easier, than Greek.  Roll Eyes

Greek was the English or Esperanto of the time of the Apostles.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 09:27:10 AM »

Dear to Christ, Christianus

I am sorry that you have had a hard time finding an Orthodox Parish who utilizes English. Such is the case when you are in a country who is seen as being in a diaspora state. My conversion  and my first 5 years were spent in a Greek Orthodox Church where Greek was utilized  in the beginning solely as the language of the service until the priest realized that even his readers were phonetically reading Greek and did not know what they were saying, when he realized that English became the primary language of the services. I then moved to another area and was in a Russian Orthodox Church  in which Church Slavonic was used mixed with English. They made a special effort to use English translations, Thanks to Reader Issac Lambson (I Think), for vespers that really opened my eyes to the doctrines of the Church. When I moved to my current job and city, I started to attend  an Antiochian Church comprised largely of converts that uses English as the primary language and has introduced some  Church Slavonic due to recent Russian immigrants who have married into the parish.

I am sorry that you have had problems finding a parish that utilizes English, however such is the case in much of the United States. In the San Francisco area there are many Orthodox Churches. In my area I have to travel 100miles roundtrip to attend any service (my small Central Texas city of 60,000 does not have an Orthodox Church closer than 54 miles away). As I said I entered the Orthodox Church through a non-English speaking parish, utilizing my priest and side by side Greek-English service books---once in the parish I began to locate like minded people who went as a group to the priest to request English and English eventually became the parish language. Sometimes asking a priest if he is aware of a Parish that utilizes English will be more effective in locating  the right parish as most Orthodox Priests are in contact with and fellowship with the other priests in the urban region. If not get close to the priest and he will likely be happy to help you in understanding the services and even the language.

Thomas

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: