OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 07:45:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Notes on Russian/Slavonic Grammar  (Read 1440 times) Average Rating: 0
вєликаго

Faith: Drevlepravoslavie (Old Orthodox) STRANNIKI
Jurisdiction: Lipovan

« on: June 09, 2010, 05:04:02 PM »

No. Not in Nominativus, anyway. And your nickname should be in Nominativus. We sign our names, "John," "Mary," "Vasiliy," etc., not "OF John," "OF Mary," "OF Vasiliy."  

My feelings are that you are using new, and, innovated Slavonic manuscripts -- All my manuscripts are Pre-Nikon. I will admit, however, that you may know your innovated Slavonic better then I know Slavonic -- unless I am mistaken altogether. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:05:49 PM by вєликаго » Logged

St. Meletius the Confessor – Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »

No. Not in Nominativus, anyway. And your nickname should be in Nominativus. We sign our names, "John," "Mary," "Vasiliy," etc., not "OF John," "OF Mary," "OF Vasiliy."  

My feelings are that you are using new, and, innovated Slavonic manuscripts -- All my manuscripts are Pre-Nikon. I will admit, however, that you may know your innovated Slavonic better then I know Slavonic -- unless I am mistaken altogether. 

You are mistaken altogether because you do not seem to understand what CASES are. There are seven cases in Old Church Slavonic (six in modern vernacular Russian). Names and nicknames should be used in the NOMINATIVE case ("вєликий" - or, even more appropriate if it refers to St. Basil the Great, "Bєликий," with the capital B). Using a nickname in a different case, other than nominative (in your profile, the genetive case is used, "вєлікАГО") - is simply nonsensical. It's like I am asking a man, "what is your name," and he says, 'belonging to John."

Love never fails.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:15:21 PM »

You are mistaken altogether because you do not seem to understand what CASES are. There are seven cases in Old Church Slavonic (six in modern vernacular Russian). Names and nicknames should be used in the NOMINATIVE case ("вєликий" - or, even more appropriate if it refers to St. Basil the Great, "Bєликий," with the capital B). Using a nickname in a different case, other than nominative (in your profile, the genetive case is used, "вєлікАГО") - is simply nonsensical. It's like I am asking a man, "what is your name," and he says, 'belonging to John."

This is somewhat hard for English native speakers to grasp.  Most European languages use cases, but English generally does not, though there are some vestigial instances (you, your, they, them, their, etc.).   If вєликаго has not studied Latin or Modern Russian, or even German, this will not make sense to him.  Other languages may have similar cases, but I have not studied them and cannot speak authoritatively on them.

вєликаго - Basically your nickname is incorrect.  It means "of the great".  It sounds as discordant to Heorhij as "all your base are belong to us" would to us.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »

Don't know about the Slavs, but among the Egyptians, ancient and modern, it is possible. One such name in Coptic Bapnoudi has passed into Russian (via Greek Παφνούτιος) as Пафнутий.  It means "belonging to God."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »

This is what we are talking about?

http://www.alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/adjectiv.html

Russian adjectives in the genitive case?

Wouldn't the proper translation be "The Great's?"

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »

If I understand this correctly, that would be like my username being "Salpy's."
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:18:10 PM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 11:44:04 PM »

I think the genitive case is the only case in English where nouns get marked ('s.)  Pronouns, as pointed out above, change much more according to case.  Adjectives, though, don't.  At least I don't think they do. 

Grammar is fun.   Smiley

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:54:17 PM »

Cool.  A whole thread on case endings. 

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 04:33:03 AM »

If I understand this correctly, that would be like my username being "Salpy's."

This is what we are talking about?

http://www.alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/adjectiv.html

Russian adjectives in the genitive case?

Wouldn't the proper translation be "The Great's?"

Salpy,

You are correct!  You get an A+.

Veliky should be his correct, in Russian "Bєликий". Church Slavic would be very similar, maybe slightly different letters, but basically the same idea.

Vekiago, you wrote:
вєликаго is the Old Church Slavonic used to refer to "Vasily the Great"!

Stashko says:
Serbs Use Великога Или  Велкагог When mentioning a Great Saint...It's the same, it seems For all the slavic peoples...

In Russian and Church slavic we say Vasiliy Veliky.

Maybe in Serbian they would say Vasiliy Velikago, although such a use of grammer in a slavic seems very odd to me, although I guess they kind do something weird.

After all, Bulgarian has the word "the" in its language- and puts it at the END of nouns!
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 08:43:04 AM »

It depends how one uses the word in a sentence....
We can say Veliki Svetitelj Vasilija...
Velikoga Svetitelja Vasilije.... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »

Of course it depends how the person's name is used in a sentence.

But if you just make a list of names with no sentence, do you use the genitive case?

For example, "the following saints are celebrated on this day:

1. Nicholas the Wonderworker

2. Vasily Veliky

3.  .....

And when people label their names on their mailboxes or doors in Serbia do they use the genitive?

Would anyone sign their name Vasiliy Velikago?

I really doubt it.

Here the person is signing their name as a username. Is it common for someone to sign it in genitive? I think not.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:24:54 PM by rakovsky » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »

we should never mention a Holy one ,unless you use sveti or svetitej ...
Sveti Vasilija Veliki.... Grin

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 03:16:43 PM »

there's your answer Вэликаго!

Your name is wrong in 3 languages. Russian, church slavic, AND serbian. You are thoroughly impeached

Cheesy laugh
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: