OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 03:02:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Easter Bunny *is* Welcome!  (Read 2852 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »

We Greeks had to do something with all those left over lambs the Jews no longer needed for sacrifice. laugh

Don't forget the extra goats left over from the lack of Temple rituals surrounding Yom Kippur! The High Priest would actually use a goat (scapegoat) for the atonement of sins, which, as the Epistle to Hebrews tells us, has been fulfilled by our High Priest, Christ. My favorite Paschal BBQs feature a lamb and a goat. The only question: Who gets the eyeballs? Now, that is the way of our forefathers. Wink

Funny!! Eye balls and brains are gross dude. As unbelievable as it seems I love Mageeritza and Koukouretzi though. Baby goat meat when slow cooked in the oven is unbelievably incredible tasting. Unfortunately because of all the fat a spring lamb has it can't be cooked any other way but the spit. No problem here as I have prepared lamb numerous times. My family back in Greece were/are sheep and Goat herders. If you need a hand let me know. Kali Anastasi!!  Wink
I agree, baby goat is much better than lamb. We used to kill one or two every Easter in Romania. It's hard to find it here.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 02:12:36 PM »

I agree, baby goat is much better than lamb. We used to kill one or two every Easter in Romania. It's hard to find it here.

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.gedaliascompany.com/wholegoat.aspx

Raised on a nice farm in Maine.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2010, 02:20:44 PM »

Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.gedaliascompany.com/wholegoat.aspx

Raised on a nice farm in Maine.

You, my friend, have made my day. Smiley Smiley Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2010, 12:56:18 AM »

\Don't forget the extra goats left over from the lack of Temple rituals surrounding Yom Kippur! The High Priest would actually use a goat (scapegoat) for the atonement of sins, which, as the Epistle to Hebrews tells us, has been fulfilled by our High Priest, Christ. My favorite Paschal BBQs feature a lamb and a goat. The only question: Who gets the eyeballs? Now, that is the way of our forefathers. Wink

Is there a Christian holiday that replaces Yom Kippur?
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »

\Don't forget the extra goats left over from the lack of Temple rituals surrounding Yom Kippur! The High Priest would actually use a goat (scapegoat) for the atonement of sins, which, as the Epistle to Hebrews tells us, has been fulfilled by our High Priest, Christ. My favorite Paschal BBQs feature a lamb and a goat. The only question: Who gets the eyeballs? Now, that is the way of our forefathers. Wink

Not really.  Some of the Protestant nut jobs celebrate "a day of atonement", but there really is not a functional equivalent in the Orthodox Church that I can tell.  If one were looking for a parallel, the closest that I could tell would be Great Lent, possibly the Holy Week in particular.  I think that our Pascha has probably combined the elements of Yom Kippur and Passover. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »

Punch,

Yes, I think you're right when you say:
Don't forget the extra goats left over from the lack of Temple rituals surrounding Yom Kippur! The High Priest would actually use a goat (scapegoat) for the atonement of sins,
Not really.  ...but there really is not a functional equivalent in the Orthodox Church that I can tell.  I think that our Pascha has probably combined the elements of Yom Kippur and Passover. 
, because in Christianity, like the sacrifice on the day of atonement, Christ's sacrifice cleansed our sins.

Pensateomnia drew the parallel accurately: "The High Priest would actually use a goat (scapegoat) for the atonement of sins, which, as the Epistle to Hebrews tells us, has been fulfilled by our High Priest, Christ."

Also, it sounds like you are right when you say: "If one were looking for a parallel, the closest that I could tell would be Great Lent, possibly the Holy Week in particular", because lent is a period of religious humility like the Day of Atonement.

It's funny when you write: "Some of the Protestant nut jobs celebrate "a day of atonement"., although I think they aren't really all nuts, just that they don't seem to value the Christian traditions and understanding. Since Christ played such a role as a sacrificial lamb as a sacrifice for sins that St Paul in Hebrews connects to the lamb in Isaiah 53, it appears that the Day of Atonement as a separate day of animal sacrifice for sin is superseded by Pascha. So it seems that in Christianity they should simply celebrate Paskha instead of a separate Day of Atonement, and that their problem is that they don't understand about the Day of Atonement being superseded.

But then again, this is just my opinion.

Regards.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: