OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 01:48:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Easter Bunny *is* Welcome!  (Read 2840 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »

Dear Mr. Easter Bunny,

Contrary to what you've been told, just because I converted to the Orthodox Church some years ago, you have not been banished from our holiday celebration.

In fact, you are welcome to come over on the joyous day. We can't let you in for the service (animals, except for cats, are not allowed in Orthodox Churches), but we have a special way to make that up to you.

Around 1pm in the afternoon, you will be the guest of honor at our outdoor barbecue. You see, ever since I met Greeks, I discovered that you serve more than the purpose of just a) being a pet and b) giving little kids chocolate eggs once a year.

So around 1 pm on Sunday, April 4, please feel free to hop on over to my backyard. If you arrive early, hop right on up to the grill and get a whiff of all the fresh vegetables we will have cooking already (we had plenty of them left over from Lent).

Please don't be late though--we can't start the party without you!

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:17:49 PM »

Awesome. We have some friends who raise rabbits, and they always bring one to Pascha.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »

Today as I was traveling through the metro area I passed a sign advertising for an upcoming Spring Egg Hunt event; which just happens to fall on Western and Eastern Easter this year.

john

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »

Around 1pm in the afternoon, you will be the guest of honor at our outdoor barbecue
Nice story father. Are you going to cook him?

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:25:36 PM »

Well, I probably won't cook the Easter Bunny this year, more likely ham (I'd love to cook a pig or lamb on a spit like they do in many of our established parishes), but if he hops into my back yard, I might have to reconsider.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 10:36:06 PM »

Well, I probably won't cook the Easter Bunny this year, more likely ham (I'd love to cook a pig or lamb on a spit like they do in many of our established parishes), but if he hops into my back yard, I might have to reconsider.

Be sure to marinate Bunny in milk for a few hours first, and cook him slowly in plenty of tomato or other sauce or liquid with lots of onion, or he'll be real tough. Dutch ovens and pressure cookers are great for this sort of thing.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:45:51 PM »

And don't forget the Bunny Cake!

laugh  laugh  laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »

laugh  laugh  laugh

I can't tell if this video is making fun of us or not.  Sure seems that way.   Undecided

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 11:03:37 PM »

Be sure to marinate Bunny in milk for a few hours first, and cook him slowly in plenty of tomato or other sauce or liquid with lots of onion, or he'll be real tough. Dutch ovens and pressure cookers are great for this sort of thing.

Thanks for the tip!  My wife's mother loves the pressure cooker (she is from Slovakia, and they seem to use it a lot more than my American family ever has). I think it's great.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:04:41 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »

I don't know. I grew up in Ukraine, which was back then a part of the former USSR, and, on the other hand, a land where the Orthodox traditions were really strong. I have never, but never, heard about any Easter bunnies growing up. I have heard about Easter vigils, Easter feasts, Easter dress, Easter eggs etc. - even having grown up where I have been growing up; and once, in 1975, being arrested by the Soviet police and detained overnight for standing at night next to the St. Volodymyr cathedral in Kyiv, two blocks from my parents' apartment in the then-deeply-Sovietized city of my birth. But I never, ever, ever heard about any rabbits; and now, as I have learned about Eastre being a pagan goddess of fertility and rabbit-style fornication, - I don't really think I WANT to learn... even though I am very much against the numerous taboos on marital sex voiced by our dear... hm... Fathers... Smiley

Love never fails.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 11:17:05 PM »

I don't know. I grew up in Ukraine, which was back then a part of the former USSR, and, on the other hand, a land where the Orthodox traditions were really strong. I have never, but never, heard about any Easter bunnies growing up. I have heard about Easter vigils, Easter feasts, Easter dress, Easter eggs etc. - even having grown up where I have been growing up; and once, in 1975, being arrested by the Soviet police and detained overnight for standing at night next to the St. Volodymyr cathedral in Kyiv, two blocks from my parents' apartment in the then-deeply-Sovietized city of my birth. But I never, ever, ever heard about any rabbits; and now, as I have learned about Eastre being a pagan goddess of fertility and rabbit-style fornication, - I don't really think I WANT to learn... even though I am very much against the numerous taboos on marital sex voiced by our dear... hm... Fathers... Smiley

This has nothing to do with THAT Easter bunny though...it's all about good eatin'!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:22:17 PM »

laugh  laugh  laugh

The voice sounds so much like the narrator of the Orthodox Word podcast, makes me wonder if he produced it.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 01:02:51 AM »

I don't like rabbit or hare meat; too sweetish from what I remember.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 01:24:30 AM »

laugh  laugh  laugh

I can't tell if this video is making fun of us or not.  Sure seems that way.   Undecided

It's meant to be funny, I'm sorry you find it offensive.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 01:26:47 AM »

I too, as a Ukrainian, am outraged at this talk of bunnies on Easter.

After all, everyone knows you eat ham and kielbasa on Pascha, not Rabbit!!!  Shocked  Wink

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 01:30:17 AM »

So, Ukrainians don't eat lamb?
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 01:59:58 AM »

So, Ukrainians don't eat lamb?

Not to my knowledge.

Everyone I know always has ham, kielbasa, and cabbage rolls on Pascha.

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 04:14:43 AM »

There is a Serbian man in our parish that roasts a pig every year for Pascha.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 06:52:18 AM »

laugh  laugh  laugh

LOL! That is so hilarious!  Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 08:18:29 AM »

laugh  laugh  laugh

Delightful! Gave me a good laugh!
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 02:22:57 PM »

A Catholic priest wrote a child's book about the 1st Easter bunny:  http://www.amazon.com/Easter-Schaper-Englot-Illustrator-Lewandowski/dp/0964643928

Its real cute.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 05:03:11 PM »

It seems kind of odd to be celebrating the Resurrection of Jesus, who was Jewish, with pork...

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »

It seems kind of odd to be celebrating the Resurrection of Jesus, who was Jewish, with pork...

Oh, but its sooo good.   Grin

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »

May I recommend for those interested in rabbit to try a nice wine stewed rabbit? Better than grilled. My Dad used to love that dish.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »

That's up for debate. Paschal lamb seems much more fitting and still honours Jesus, who was, after all, Jewish, and wouldn't have eaten pork.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 05:33:56 PM »

That's up for debate. Paschal lamb seems much more fitting and still honours Jesus, who was, after all, Jewish, and wouldn't have eaten pork.

But in many northern countries, lamb was, in the past, very hard to get, but pork was readily available.
nouno

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »

laugh  laugh  laugh

The voice sounds so much like the narrator of the Orthodox Word podcast, makes me wonder if he produced it.

It is the narrator of the Orthodox Word podcast (me). The video was intended to be funny. I made it a couple of years ago for my Godson and his family. I usually spent Holy Week and Pascha with his family and we always had a bunny cake on Pascha. The year I made the video was the first year in nearly a decade that I couldn't be there because my wife had just given birth to our daughter. My Godson's mother sent me all the pieces and parts to make the cake and I made the video as a way of saying thank you.  I was just trying to pretend that our decade long tradition was a much older tradition.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »

But in many northern countries, lamb was, in the past, very hard to get, but pork was readily available.

Jews lived in Eastern Europe and yet they managed to live without pork somehow...

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »

laugh  laugh  laugh

Interesting video, and amazing how anything can be used for the purpose of giving a spiritual object lesson-even Bunny Cake! Very ingenious! I laughed a bit at one of the comments though, "Yes.This is beautiful. We are Orthodox Christians but we are not peasants to slaughter lambs or bake cakes."  Shocked Er, I get the part about slaughtering the lambs, but the cake baking? Only "peasants" bake cakes?  Shocked What is the world coming to??

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 06:14:53 PM »

laugh  laugh  laugh

It is the narrator of the Orthodox Word podcast (me). The video was intended to be funny. I made it a couple of years ago for my Godson and his family. I usually spent Holy Week and Pascha with his family and we always had a bunny cake on Pascha. The year I made the video was the first year in nearly a decade that I couldn't be there because my wife had just given birth to our daughter. My Godson's mother sent me all the pieces and parts to make the cake and I made the video as a way of saying thank you.  I was just trying to pretend that our decade long tradition was a much older tradition.
Well done! And welcome!

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »

I've eaten lamb and rabbit's meat only once.

Pork is cool.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 07:07:35 PM »

laugh  laugh  laugh

That is awesome Sir! THANK YOU for giving me and my friends a good laugh! Smiley

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »

Yes, but as Peter's dream in the Book of Acts reveals, the old Law is dead, and Bacon rules!  laugh

I don't know why we eat ham and kielbasa, I don't question it, I just accept it and love it. Smiley

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 09:52:07 PM »

We eat lamb in different forms; of its tripe plus green onions, green garlic and eggs we prepare "drob".
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »

Yes, but as Peter's dream in the Book of Acts reveals, the old Law is dead, and Bacon rules!  laugh

I don't know why we eat ham and kielbasa, I don't question it, I just accept it and love it. Smiley

Sheep would freeze to death in Ukraine? I bet the soil is good for just letting some pigs loose and they find their own food, good soil which they can fish for little things to eat with their snout. Just a theory.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Punch
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2010, 12:41:16 AM »

I can't think of a better way to show that we are not Jewish and no longer under the curse of the Law.  Perhaps it is the former Lutheran in me, but I would not even for a moment consider eating anything other than pork on Easter, and for the very reason I initially stated.  I am not saying this facetiously or to be contrary, but this is what I have honestly believed and have been taught.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 02:13:21 AM »

Pork is cool.
Unless you're a vegetarian like me. Smiley

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 02:58:13 AM »

It is the narrator of the Orthodox Word podcast (me). The video was intended to be funny.

LOL.  I was going to chime in with "insider information" that the two narrators were indeed the same person - but you had to beat me to it.  Welcome, "nouno."

+ Fr. George

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »

I can't think of a better way to show that we are not Jewish and no longer under the curse of the Law.  Perhaps it is the former Lutheran in me, but I would not even for a moment consider eating anything other than pork on Easter, and for the very reason I initially stated.  I am not saying this facetiously or to be contrary, but this is what I have honestly believed and have been taught.

We Greeks had to do something with all those left over lambs the Jews no longer needed for sacrifice. laugh

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »

In my family, it was always the tradition to have lamb for Easter. But I'm a vegan now, so not sure what it will be...

Punch
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »

We Greeks had to do something with all those left over lambs the Jews no longer needed for sacrifice. laugh

I will have to rethink my stance based on this new information Smiley

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 11:38:41 AM »

Don't forget the extra goats left over from the lack of Temple rituals surrounding Yom Kippur! The High Priest would actually use a goat (scapegoat) for the atonement of sins, which, as the Epistle to Hebrews tells us, has been fulfilled by our High Priest, Christ. My favorite Paschal BBQs feature a lamb and a goat. The only question: Who gets the eyeballs? Now, that is the way of our forefathers. Wink

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 11:44:09 AM »

Greeks + lamb = this

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 12:01:11 PM »

Don't forget the extra goats left over from the lack of Temple rituals surrounding Yom Kippur! The High Priest would actually use a goat (scapegoat) for the atonement of sins, which, as the Epistle to Hebrews tells us, has been fulfilled by our High Priest, Christ. My favorite Paschal BBQs feature a lamb and a goat. The only question: Who gets the eyeballs? Now, that is the way of our forefathers. Wink

Funny!! Eye balls and brains are gross dude. As unbelievable as it seems I love Mageeritza and Koukouretzi though. Baby goat meat when slow cooked in the oven is unbelievably incredible tasting. Unfortunately because of all the fat a spring lamb has it can't be cooked any other way but the spit. No problem here as I have prepared lamb numerous times. My family back in Greece were/are sheep and Goat herders. If you need a hand let me know. Kali Anastasi!!  Wink

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 12:28:47 PM »

No rabbit this year (although it has been pencilled in for next!).  The menu, so far:

Leg of lamb (not sure what I'm doing with it yet)
Ham roast (MMMM...HAMMMMMM)
Indian lentils w/ fried spices
Roasted potatoes...with LEMON!
Fake tacos (made w/ Quorn) (for the year-round vegetarian who is attending)
Assorted sides

But next year...rabbit.  Mmmmmm....

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: