OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 07:24:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Orthodox Street Mission?  (Read 2605 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: March 24, 2010, 10:36:55 PM »

xuxana -

Do you go here: http://www.orthodoxhawaii.org/ ?
no coz believe it or not, that parish is like a tiny room. and on top of that is a strip club.  

That actually could be quite a ministry for any priest who wanted the challenge of reaching out to people who accidently stroll in, confusing the church with the strip club.  It could be kind of like a mission.

This thread was split off from here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,10042.new.html#new
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:17:23 AM by Salpy » Logged

Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:52:59 PM »

xuxana -

no coz believe it or not, that parish is like a tiny room. and on top of that is a strip club.  

That actually could be quite a ministry for any priest who wanted the challenge of reaching out to people who accidently stroll in, confusing the church with the strip club.  It could be kind of like a mission.

Yeh, exactly what I was thinking.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »

xuxana -

That actually could be quite a ministry for any priest who wanted the challenge of reaching out to people who accidently stroll in, confusing the church with the strip club.  It could be kind of like a mission.
but... why would anybody want fornicators and alcoholics to walk in a holy place?  i would certainly not want to stand beside them.  perhaps it is me that needs to pray for tolerance but i see such things as distractions.

Ephesians 6:10-18
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:36:47 PM »

xuxana -

but... why would anybody want fornicators and alcoholics to walk in a holy place?  i would certainly not want to stand beside them.  perhaps it is me that needs to pray for tolerance but i see such things as distractions.

Heard of St Mary of Egypt, xuxana?  Smiley
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:43:10 PM »

but... why would anybody want fornicators and alcoholics to walk in a holy place?  i would certainly not want to stand beside them.  perhaps it is me that needs to pray for tolerance but i see such things as distractions.

Quote from: Matthew 9:11-13
And when the Pharisees saw it, they said to His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” When Jesus heard that, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.’ For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:45:28 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
xuxana
babygirl

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »

xuxana -

oh yeah! we had her @ last weeks sunday liturgy!!! yes. i do remember.  she's the one holding  2 loaves of bread in her icon. ok, im sorry i was wrong.  yes... dirty ppl can get god's grace too.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 11:52:31 PM »

Quote from: The Message, Matthew 9:13
Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders."

source

The author of The Message does not believe in organized religion because He places words in Christ's mouth saying that Christ desires mercy and not religion, any organized religion.  Plus, who are the insiders and who are the outsiders?  Is organized religion the insiders who are coddled?

If your GOA Church permits you to read The Message, which does not believe in organized religion and perceives organized religion as a group of coddled insiders, I have concerns about the Orthodox Christian witness in Hawaii.   Shocked
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:53:57 PM »

xuxana -

oh yeah! we had her @ last weeks sunday liturgy!!! yes. i do remember.  she's the one holding  2 loaves of bread in her icon. ok, im sorry i was wrong.  yes... dirty ppl can get god's grace too.

The Church was built for such as these whom you judge as "dirty" and "distractions".
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »

What do you think of St. Mary of Egypt based on today's standards?   Huh

I also notice that you don't like to answer questions.   Huh
xuxana
babygirl

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:58:58 PM »

What do you think of St. Mary of Egypt based on today's standards?   Huh

I also notice that you don't like to answer questions.   Huh
she'd be like a street hooker. but worse...coz she tried to solocit pigrims  stuff. got to go. its forfeast of the annunciation 2nite & my dad wants me to go.

toodles! ^_^

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:06:04 AM »

she'd be like a street .... but worse...coz she tried to solocit pigrims  stuff. got to go. its forfeast of the annunciation 2nite & my dad wants me to go.

Enjoy.   Smiley
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 12:08:40 AM »

she'd be like a street hooker. but worse...coz she tried to solocit pigrims  stuff.

Well, she didn't just try, she succeeded in seducing an entire boatload of pilgrims who did unspeakable things to her as a group. It's in the hagiography, folks.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 12:22:15 AM »

Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders."

source

The author of The Message does not believe in organized religion because He places words in Christ's mouth saying that Christ desires mercy and not religion, any organized religion.  Plus, who are the insiders and who are the outsiders?  Is organized religion the insiders who are coddled?

If your GOA Church permits you to read The Message, which does not believe in organized religion and perceives organized religion as a group of coddled insiders, I have concerns about the Orthodox Christian witness in Hawaii.   Shocked

Orthodoxy believes in organised religion?? That's news to me.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 12:25:54 AM »

xuxana -

That actually could be quite a ministry for any priest who wanted the challenge of reaching out to people who accidently stroll in, confusing the church with the strip club.  It could be kind of like a mission.
but... why would anybody want fornicators and alcoholics to walk in a holy place?  i would certainly not want to stand beside them.  perhaps it is me that needs to pray for tolerance but i see such things as distractions.

Heard of St Mary of Egypt, xuxana?  Smiley
oh yeah! we had her @ last weeks sunday liturgy!!! yes. i do remember.  she's the one holding  2 loaves of bread in her icon. ok, im sorry i was wrong.  yes... dirty ppl can get god's grace too.

All of us dirty 'ppl' thank you for letting us in your club.  Roll Eyes  Out of curiosity, do you know how to spell and incorporate punctuation and proper grammar?  You'll find your job prospects, and general standing in the community, will improve upon learning these things.  Not to put too fine a point on it.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:30:14 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 12:45:52 AM »

source

Some in the Protestant world view Orthodoxy as just one of many organized religions and write Bibles incorporating that belief system like The Message.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 01:19:01 AM »

source

Some in the Protestant world view Orthodoxy as just one of many organized religions and write Bibles incorporating that belief system like The Message.

But Orthodoxy is not a religion.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 01:33:22 AM »

source

Why are we having this discussion?   Huh
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 01:54:47 AM »

source

You tell me. You are the one that introduced some random Bible translation from the Protestants.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 02:10:19 AM »

Perhaps this thread needs to be split off now? I just want to get back to what everyone looks like. Sad

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
xuxana
babygirl

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 02:30:53 AM »

Perhaps this thread needs to be split off now? I just want to get back to what everyone looks like. Sad

Selam
agreed. i thought this was a pic thread? why r angry people posting out of nowhere? lolz!

lord have mercy.

yochanan
Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OMHKSEA (Philippines)

O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 03:01:46 AM »

source

Then what is it?  Shocked A club for True Christians?

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 04:37:59 AM »

"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member."
-Groucho Marx
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 12:34:36 PM »

source

You tell me. You are the one that introduced some random Bible translation from the Protestants.

Commentary was provided on verses from The Message cited by another poster.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »

agreed. i thought this was a pic thread? why r angry people posting out of nowhere? lolz!

lord have mercy.

Angry people?   Huh

Edited for content
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:49:41 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 01:17:06 PM »

xuxana -

Yes or tax collectors, the poor any sort of sinner...They often smell.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »

source

And certainly not very organized :-)

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 03:24:01 PM »

source

I believe it was Fr. Schmemmann of blessed memory who opined, "Religion is a disease and Orthodoxy is the cure."

Fr. Hopko also hates to use the word "religion" to describe Holy Orthodoxy, as he sees "religion" as Man's attempt to explain and commune with the Creator while Orthodoxy is God's revelation on how to glorify Him...or something like that.

Yes, it's a philosophical and oftentimes pedantic distinction, but a valid one, I think.  Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
yochanan

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 05:22:43 AM »

source

I believe it was Fr. Schmemmann of blessed memory who opined, "Religion is a disease and Orthodoxy is the cure."

Fr. Hopko also hates to use the word "religion" to describe Holy Orthodoxy, as he sees "religion" as Man's attempt to explain and commune with the Creator while Orthodoxy is God's revelation on how to glorify Him...or something like that.

Yes, it's a philosophical and oftentimes pedantic distinction, but a valid one, I think.  Smiley

If it's not a religion then what is it? Wink

sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 05:36:18 AM »

source

If it's not a religion then what is it? Wink

What is religion?  Huh

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 06:43:10 AM »

Actually, it was Fr. John S. Romanides of blessed memory:
http://www.romanity.org/htm/rom.02.en.the_cure_of_the_neurobiological_sickness_of_rel.01.htm

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 02:19:52 PM »

It all depends on what you mean by "religion." The problem is, most religions claim that they are not a religion. If a religious person is one who focuses on man's relationship with the Divine, then Christianity is most certainly a religion.

If religion refers to religious practices and ceremonies, etc., then Christianity is not a religion per se, but rather, religion is a part of Christianity. Indeed, could one be fully Christian without religion? Obviously, the Protestant answer is no.

I understand how "religion" can also be a neurobiological illness that excludes a true and living faith. I think it just depends on what we mean by "religion."

In Koine Greek, btw, there's several words that could translate to "religion":
eusebia = piety, living in a "religious fashion"
threskia = religion in the sense of worship (James 1:26-27)
deisidaimonia = fear of the gods, used twice in Acts, once refering to the Athenians out of the mouth of Paul, once refering to the Jews out of the mouth of a Roman, but still never used in a negative sense.

So, religion is fundamentally a good thing, according to scripture.
yochanan

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 11:43:44 PM »

It all depends on what you mean by "religion." The problem is, most religions claim that they are not a religion. If a religious person is one who focuses on man's relationship with the Divine, then Christianity is most certainly a religion.

If religion refers to religious practices and ceremonies, etc., then Christianity is not a religion per se, but rather, religion is a part of Christianity. Indeed, could one be fully Christian without religion? Obviously, the Protestant answer is no.

I understand how "religion" can also be a neurobiological illness that excludes a true and living faith. I think it just depends on what we mean by "religion."

In Koine Greek, btw, there's several words that could translate to "religion":
eusebia = piety, living in a "religious fashion"
threskia = religion in the sense of worship (James 1:26-27)
deisidaimonia = fear of the gods, used twice in Acts, once refering to the Athenians out of the mouth of Paul, once refering to the Jews out of the mouth of a Roman, but still never used in a negative sense.

So, religion is fundamentally a good thing, according to scripture.

But "religion does not save us" right? (That's what most Protestants say)  police

That is true although it gives some kind of negative connotation to ritualistic groups (e.g. RC, EO, Judaism, Islam, etc...). Religion (in the good sense of the word) is necessary for our salvation, the religion I am talking about is the practice of the Sacraments, the Divine Liturgy (Mass) and the piety we have for these things -- these things and actions bring us closer to the Holy Trinity, these things were given by God to us in order that we may be closer to Him. But it is not these things that save us but our God who is mighty to save.

In other words, Orthodoxy has a religion but it also has parts of it that is not religion -- that is not mere piety or practice but a unity with the One above.

Tags: missions strip clubs 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: