OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 12:11:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needing book recomendations  (Read 3110 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« on: April 27, 2004, 05:12:40 PM »

Well folks, every summer I try to read extra stuff to keep my mind sharp (and avoid going out in the hot sun Grin), so I need your recomendations for books to read.  I am already reading Law of God and Orthodox Alaska, but any other suggestions you have would be really helpful.  I have access to InterLibraryLoan (dad's a librarian).

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 05:41:22 PM »

Have you read "The Screwtape Letters" by C. S. Lewis?  No, he wasn't EO, but he has some very clear sighted things to say.  It's written as a series of letters from a senior devil to a young tempter trying to work on a human.

Then again, do you mean just Serious things or could I recommend some lighter fiction along the lines of 'all work and no play... eventually makes everything tired."

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 05:45:42 PM »

Give a list of what you have already read.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 05:51:17 PM »

Ebor--fiction is my favorite reading Wink

Tom--In terms of Orthodox Books, The Law of God, Orthodox Alaska, and The Orthodox  Church (the first edition) are the only ones that were really major or weren't e-books.  In terms of what else I've read--It's impossible to give a list of all that I have read.  My personal library contains thousands of books (literally).  Not that I have read them all yet, but I have them.  Wink

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 05:53:47 PM »

OH, I've read a few other EOx books but I can't remember the titles.

Joe Zollars

TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 06:11:55 PM »

Okay. But remember I am coming from aProtestant background.

Fr. Seraphim - "Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future"

Schmemann - "For the Life of the World"
Schmemann - "Church, World, Mission"

Bishop Ware - "The Inner Kingdom

And a small book that I just am now reading which is very good "Growing in Christ" by Mother Raphaela

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 06:21:33 PM »

Thanks!

Joe Zollars

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 07:07:39 PM »

I've picked up a used copy of Orthodox Spirituality (A outline of the Orthodox Ascetical and Mystical Tradition)by A Monk of the Eastern Church and find it very informative for a short 103 pages. I usally will read a book 3 times to get the subject matter to sink in .

james
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 07:09:05 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 07:20:38 PM »

I recommend:

Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works

Anything by or about Elder Paisios of Mt. Athos

For the Life of the World - Fr. Schmemann

Father Arseny- Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father

C.S. Lewis- almost anything! Screwtape Letters, Mere Christianity, The Great Divorce, The Weight of Glory, The Abolition of Man, etc.

Those are just some of my personal favorites.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 11:26:39 PM »

I really like the already mention Father Seraphim Rose biography....anything by Metr. Hierotheos Vlachos of Nafpatkos is awesome.  Ask your spiritual father for recomendations though.
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 01:22:26 AM »

In addition to what has already been suggested, I reccomend a novel, Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry.  It touches on many religious themes that are agreeable to Orthodox theology, takes place in a southern community, and is one of the best pieces of literature I've ever read.   If you look back in this forum, I've created a thread about it.

Also, C.S. Lewis as others have suggested is very good(especially The Screwtape Letters and Till We Have Faces), Father Arseny is a must read, and perhaps Ascending the Heights by Fr. John Mack followed by The Ladder of Divine Ascent.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 03:19:02 AM »

Christos Anesti!  Christ is Risen!

I'm really enjoying "The Orthodox Way" by Bishop Kalistos Ware

John.
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 10:13:26 AM »

Joe, why not ask your priest to recommend something?  There might be something he would really like you to read, especially since you are just starting out.  Also, this keeps you from reading something that you aren't ready for yet.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 10:18:50 AM »

I plan on asking him.  But first I have to finish the book he loaned me a couple weeks ago.

Joe Zollars

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 10:35:44 AM »

Ebor--fiction is my favorite reading Wink

Tom--In terms of Orthodox Books, The Law of God, Orthodox Alaska, and The Orthodox  Church (the first edition) are the only ones that were really major or weren't e-books.  In terms of what else I've read--It's impossible to give a list of all that I have read.  My personal library contains thousands of books (literally).  Not that I have read them all yet, but I have them.  Wink

Joe Zollars

If you like fiction, Joe, then you can't go wrong with Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov, and The Idiot.

I also recommend a collection of two short novels by Solzhenitsyn called We Never Make Mistakes. The stories in it are An Incident at Krechetovka Station and Matryona's House.

A warning about that last one: it'll make you cry.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 10:44:20 AM »

It might be not quite for you yet, but Lewis' "A Grief Observed" written after his wife died is a powerful book.  "Til We Have Faces" is excellent and Lewis iirc considered it his best fiction.

For fiction, do you like Science Fiction or Mysteries? Space Opera vs CyberSF?  I don't do Horror or really gruesome mysteries.

Oh yes, combining mysteries and Christianity: Dorothy L. Sayers.  She wrote the "Lord Peter Wimsey" mysteries as well as  "The Mind of the Maker" (very good) and a couple of other books on Christianity that I'll have to dive into the basement bookshelves to find the titles.

Then there are some classics.   Have you read Dantes "Divine Comedy"?  or "Don Quixote"?

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004, 12:52:33 PM »

Thanks Ebor.

I really like SciFi, but nothing way too far fetched.  Stargate-SG1 is my favorite television show if that tellls you anything.  I'm also looking forward to Stargate-Atlantis but don't know if I will like it as much because it won't have as many illusions to history.

Joe Zollars

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004, 02:24:08 PM »

I thought the Idiot was a little to... um... soap-opera like... with all the mixing and matching of the guys and girls, and the betrayals and tricks and whatnot... but that's just me Smiley Prince Myshkin was certainly an interesting character, though.

Joe, I'd recommend Orthodox Faith and Life in Christ by St. Justin Popovich.

Lt. Ray Makonnen: "You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and the best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful. If you just take the time to look at it."

Capt. Frank Chapman: "You're some guy, Makonnen."
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2004, 03:12:21 PM »

Joe, I'd recommend Orthodox Faith and Life in Christ by St. Justin Popovich.

I agree. Forgot about that one.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: