OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 02:04:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: idiot, ,moron?  (Read 6376 times) Average Rating: 0
sunny

« on: March 09, 2007, 04:00:05 AM »

If an idiot has a mental quotient of 25 or less, and a moron has a mental quotient of 50-75, what is someone called who has a mental quotient of 25 to 50?
(I know this sounds like the beginning of a joke, but I was wondering if someone actually knew the answer to this question).
Thanks,
Sunny

NULL
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 04:28:00 AM »

Imbecile.

The cladssification was:
70-79....... Bordeline
50-69....... Moron
20-49........Imbecile
below 20....Idiot.

These terms are no longer in use though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 04:28:36 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
KostaNY

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:00:11 AM »

Really, I always thought an imbecile was lower than an idiot. Interesting.  Cheesy
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 08:38:34 AM »

No, an imbecile is smart enough to think he knows something. 

No, I'm not thinking of anyone in particular...*cough*
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:03:09 PM »

Imbecile.

The cladssification was:
70-79....... Bordeline
50-69....... Moron
20-49........Imbecile
below 20....Idiot.

Oh yeh?  Spend a couple of days with me at my job and you'll change your tune.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 06:35:06 PM »

I guess I should have qualified by saying: "No longer used in polite society." Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 12:41:52 AM »

Well, among the general public they are. Though most people seem to prefer "retarded". I may yet assault someone who uses that term (not necessarily a punch, but certainly some physicality would be involved). I'm probably sensitive to the issue because my mother was an LPN who cared for mentally handicapped and very elderly people, and because she was a single mother I sometimes had to go with her to "work," so I've seen that it's not trivial matter. I admit that I'm hypocritical in choosing this one word to get so ticked off about, when I myself use words like idiot... nonetheless...
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 09:00:54 AM »

At my work (well I was gonna work for the YMC- yes we got'em here in Canuck Land but now I work at my local food department store) people tend to say f*^%$# idiot and tend to say that wors before practically any other word. At first I was really shocked and dismayed but a year and a half later, my ears have shamefully grown accustomed to hearing it like it was hi there and how do you do...
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 10:00:08 AM »

At my work (well I was gonna work for the YMC- yes we got'em here in Canuck Land but now I work at my local food department store) people tend to say f*^%$# idiot and tend to say that wors before practically any other word. At first I was really shocked and dismayed but a year and a half later, my ears have shamefully grown accustomed to hearing it like it was hi there and how do you do...
It's a challenge, isn't it? Maintaining Christian behaviour, decorum and dignity when we work with colleagues who don't share our values; and who don't seem to share the values of polite society in general. Good manners and respect cost nothing, but they're priceless. I know someone who swears and uses insulting and abusive language in all social circumstances, and yet wonders why he can't find a girlfriend.....

Timos
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 09:52:29 AM »

Yeah Georgie it is really tough Smiley but seriously often I find that I myself fall into the trap of swearing just like them because you get to hear it so often that its shock value is diminished or often not there altogether. Then again I've visited  the youth groups of many Eastern and Oriental Orthodox churches and let me tell you that sometimes you can't tell the difference...they'll be running their mouths off even though theres a church right behind them...oh I do remember that once @ my GOYA group, during our greek dancing practise at the back hall of the parish, we were on a water break and some guy swore, so his friend said in a half-joking manner: "ella rai, theres eikones on the wall, have some respect!" (There are holy icons on the walls...) So the icons really do have an (positive) affect on the way people act. Somewhat of a tangent but I thought I'd share.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 10:10:41 AM »

some guy swore, so his friend said in a half-joking manner: "ella rai, theres eikones on the wall, have some respect!" (There are holy icons on the walls...) So the icons really do have an (positive) affect on the way people act. Somewhat of a tangent but I thought I'd share.
Actually, that's not really a tangent. If you go to the older villages in Greece and visit the local cafe or taverna, you will often see the Icon of the Eye of God painted on the wall near the tables with the words "OLA TA VLEPI O THEOS" ("God Sees All"), and the purpose is to remind the patrons that blasphemy, swearing and cursing will not be accepted.
Gerontissa Gavrillia of blessed memory used to say: "Always behave as though Christ were standing in front of you, because He is!"

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »

some guy swore, so his friend said in a half-joking manner: "ella rai, theres eikones on the wall, have some respect!" (There are holy icons on the walls...) So the icons really do have an (positive) affect on the way people act. Somewhat of a tangent but I thought I'd share.
Actually, that's not really a tangent. If you go to the older villages in Greece and visit the local cafe or taverna, you will often see the Icon of the Eye of God painted on the wall near the tables with the words "OLA TA VLEPI O THEOS" ("God Sees All"), and the purpose is to remind the patrons that blasphemy, swearing and cursing will not be accepted.
Gerontissa Gavrillia of blessed memory used to say: "Always behave as though Christ were standing in front of you, because He is!"

I like this idea.  Can anyone provide a link (or just paste it here) what the Icon of the Eye of God looks like?  Thanks.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »

You have it on the one dollar bill, at the top of the pyramid Wink
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »

If an idiot has a mental quotient of 25 or less, and a moron has a mental quotient of 50-75, what is someone called who has a mental quotient of 25 to 50?

Political comment removed -Pravoslavbob.  

(The archaic term you are looking for may = creton.)
You received a warning at the end of January for posting political statements on the public boards.  At the time, the moderator issuing the warning wrote: "You've been posting on the Politics board long enough to know that political statements belong there and only there."
With this in mind, I have decided to place you on post moderation for 30 days.  You may still post at this warning level, but every post you make will have to be vetted by a moderator before it appears in the pertinent thread.  If you disagree with my decision, please feel free to contact Fr George via PM.

Pravoslavbob, Non-Religious Topics Moderator
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:33:35 PM by Pravoslavbob » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:26:49 PM »

Political comment removed-Pravoslavbob. 

WOW  Shocked
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:29:37 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 08:51:42 PM »

The current term is intellectual disability, which hopefully has enough syllables that it won't become a perjorative.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 08:55:05 AM »

The current term is intellectual disability, which hopefully has enough syllables that it won't become a perjorative.
Oh dear! We might encounter people with an intellectual challenge, or who might be developmentally delayed, but to label someone with a "disability" just isn't done [tsk]smiley[/tsk].
monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »

The school I used to work at had a funny arrangement with us working there.  The vice president was a Ronald, our manager was a Ronald, our on site supervisor was a Ronald, and my secular name is Ronald.  So my on site supervisor said our office was an office of "more rons"...lol

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »

Imbecile.

The cladssification was:
70-79....... Bordeline
50-69....... Moron
20-49........Imbecile
below 20....Idiot.

Based on my general comments while driving in Los Angeles on any particular day, below-average IQ is not an impediment to receiving a California Driver's License, since it appears all of the above are on the roads in force.   Roll Eyes

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »

The school I used to work at had a funny arrangement with us working there.  The vice president was a Ronald, our manager was a Ronald, our on site supervisor was a Ronald, and my secular name is Ronald.  So my on site supervisor said our office was an office of "more rons"...lol

laugh  laugh  laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »

The island of Crete has in the past gained a reputation for mean and harsh people but this has changed with the advent of Christianity O' about two thousand years ago now. The term actually relates more with anger rather than IQ  of which the Cretans have plenty of. Shocked
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:31:30 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »

It's a challenge, isn't it? Maintaining Christian behaviour, decorum and dignity when we work with colleagues who don't share our values; and who don't seem to share the values of polite society in general. Good manners and respect cost nothing, but they're priceless. I know someone who swears and uses insulting and abusive language in all social circumstances, and yet wonders why he can't find a girlfriend.....

Here in small town Mississippi, the way to go is to say, "he (she) is a f*^%$# idiot," and then add, "bless his (her) heart.  Grin

Love never fails.
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »

Here in small town Mississippi, the way to go is to say, "he (she) is a f*^%$# idiot," and then add, "bless his (her) heart.  Grin

LOL. How do they get away with such cursing in the Bible Belt?  Shocked Grin

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 03:57:24 PM »

LOL. How do they get away with such cursing in the Bible Belt?  Shocked Grin

Easy, you don't do it around a church, preacher, or deacon.  Same with drinking   Wink

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »

(The archaic term you are looking for may = cretin.)

The island of Crete has in the past gained a reputation for mean and harsh people but this has changed with the advent of Christianity O' about two thousand years ago now. The term actually relates more with anger rather than IQ  of which the Cretans have plenty of. Shocked
Cretinism is an medical term describing slowed growth and sluggish mentality which occurs in children with hypothyroidism.  Please forgive if you thought I was insulting Greeks. Smiley
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/thyroid/thyroid_preg.html
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:27:21 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 10:32:28 AM »

Oh dear! We might encounter people with an intellectual challenge, or who might be developmentally delayed, but to label someone with a "disability" just isn't done [tsk]smiley[/tsk].
Sometimes we even meet people who treat mental illness with sarcasm. Shocked

"Mentally challenged" is an archaic term, and out of use due to its imprecision: Everyone can and should be challenged intellectually; at what level that challenge begins varies from person to person. "Developmentally delayed" is an entirely separate issue. People with an intellectual disability have an IQ at least two standard deviations below average. Children with a developmental delay usually have a normal IQ, but exhibit behaviours at a pace at least a year behind others of their age. For example, it is normal for children to learn to walk between 12 and 15 months. A child who is developmentally delayed may not walk until the age of 2. Likewise, a child may not learn to read until the age of eight or nine, or fail to comprehend long division until the age of 11 or 12. Of course, it is also possible to have a developmental delay and an intellectual disability concurrently.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »

"Mentally challenged" is an archaic term, and out of use due to its imprecision: Everyone can and should be challenged intellectually; at what level that challenge begins varies from person to person. "Developmentally delayed" is an entirely separate issue. People with an intellectual disability have an IQ at least two standard deviations below average. Children with a developmental delay usually have a normal IQ, but exhibit behaviours at a pace at least a year behind others of their age. For example, it is normal for children to learn to walk between 12 and 15 months. A child who is developmentally delayed may not walk until the age of 2. Likewise, a child may not learn to read until the age of eight or nine, or fail to comprehend long division until the age of 11 or 12. Of course, it is also possible to have a developmental delay and an intellectual disability concurrently.
You and I definitely agree on the point we're trying to make. I spent 30+ years teaching in the public school system and I gave up trying to keep track of the changing vocabulary. Every workshop I attended, every document I was expected to read, every administrator I worked under used all these words and more, with new ones introduced and old ones discarded on a nearly predictable basis. Many times, there would even be contradictions in what was expected. At one time, "developmentally delayed" definitely referred to lower IQ. I was also taught that no one has "disabilities", only different sorts of abilities. "Disability" was a taboo word in some circles during my career. My frustration with the confusion was one factor that led to my retirement a year before I should have taken it.
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »

You and I definitely agree on the point we're trying to make. I spent 30+ years teaching in the public school system and I gave up trying to keep track of the changing vocabulary. Every workshop I attended, every document I was expected to read, every administrator I worked under used all these words and more, with new ones introduced and old ones discarded on a nearly predictable basis. Many times, there would even be contradictions in what was expected. At one time, "developmentally delayed" definitely referred to lower IQ. I was also taught that no one has "disabilities", only different sorts of abilities. "Disability" was a taboo word in some circles during my career. My frustration with the confusion was one factor that led to my retirement a year before I should have taken it.

I for one never understood why "handicapped" fell out of favor and "disabled" was elevated into common use, either for mental or physical challenges.  Both my grandfathers suffer(ed) from being "differently able"  Roll Eyes , my father's father being blind and my mother's father was unable to use his legs.  I would never consider either one to be "disabled", as both have been extremely active and gladly overcoming any obstacles that might have come their way.  "Disabled" implies a complete inability, while "handicap" aptly implies a difficulty that can be overcome.  Grandpa's eyes might indeed be "disabled", but to Grandpa himself this is merely a handicap.  Sadly, Pop is now disabled, at least in this world, but while he was with us he never let his wheelchair disable him.  Likewise a few of my cousins who have various mental handicaps, but I have yet to see a "disability" in any of them.

I can certainly understand being frustrated with the public school system, having to keep up with an ever-changing "Newspeak" lest one be turned in to the thought police.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »

Good to hear. I started teaching in 2003, when the "challenged" series of term had already fallen into disuse, so I don't have the same gag reflex at the term disability.

I can certainly understand being frustrated with the public school system, having to keep up with an ever-changing "Newspeak" lest one be turned in to the thought police.
Right, because the field of psychology is exactly like a police state. Roll Eyes

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »

Right, because the field of psychology is exactly like a police state. Roll Eyes

I guess it depends on the psychologist  Smiley  Although I wasn't referring to psychology, I was referring to public schools, which more and more are starting to resemble a police state.  But I believe that's a discussion more in line with the politics thread, and so will not pursue it further.

With psychology the answer is simple- as with most sciences you guys HAVE to keep changing the terms, otherwise the general public might actually start to think we know what you're saying with all that techno-grok (I'd make a Douglas Adams reference, but I seem to have lost my copy of Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul).

Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 08:46:34 PM »

(The archaic term you are looking for may = cretin.)

Cretinism is an medical term describing slowed growth and sluggish mentality which occurs in children with hypothyroidism.  Please forgive if you thought I was insulting Greeks. Smiley
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/thyroid/thyroid_preg.html

I'm sure the word originated from this bible verse.

Titus 1:12
Even one of their own prophets has said, "Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons."

No offensive taken I'm not Cretan. laugh
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:47:50 PM by Demetrios G. » Logged

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 10:03:07 AM »

I guess it depends on the psychologist  Smiley  Although I wasn't referring to psychology, I was referring to public schools, which more and more are starting to resemble a police state.  But I believe that's a discussion more in line with the politics thread, and so will not pursue it further.

With psychology the answer is simple- as with most sciences you guys HAVE to keep changing the terms, otherwise the general public might actually start to think we know what you're saying with all that techno-grok (I'd make a Douglas Adams reference, but I seem to have lost my copy of Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul).
The public schools don't make up the terms, because we don't do any research. It's the research psychologists who name various illnesses, and we use the terms they use so as to keep everyone on the same terminology. It gets very confusing when there are six different names for the same condition.

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 11:27:05 AM »

The public schools don't make up the terms, because we don't do any research. It's the research psychologists who name various illnesses, and we use the terms they use so as to keep everyone on the same terminology. It gets very confusing when there are six different names for the same condition.
Or six different conditions that have the same name Grin !

Now what really irks me it that there is simply so much labelling. It gives people an excuse to avoid responsibility for their behaviour. I've had eight year olds say to me, "I behave the way I do because I have ....." or parents who excuse their children in the same way.

ALL of us have challenges, disabilities, or whatever your current term is. That's exactly what sin is. We are broken fallen creatures who need healing. How sad that so many people seem to think it's OK to sit and wallow in the muck of the pigsty. I'm not trying to ignore those people who really do need valid medical and psychological help, but I'm going to be quite politically incorrect and say that much of what is going on in the pop psychology world is complete hogwash! (Isn't that the perfect word to continue with my metaphor?) Our world has forgotten that "The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, And there is good understanding in all who practice it" Proverbs 1:7 (SAAS).
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 12:17:52 PM »

EDIT--Nevermind, forgot I can't disagree with a moderator publically... Wink
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:18:50 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 08:19:37 PM »

Sure you can. You just can't disagree with moderation publicly. If you want to disagree with a point I or any other moderator has said, please do. It gets boring if whatever we say is always taken as gospel truth.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »

Sure you can. You just can't disagree with moderation publicly. If you want to disagree with a point I or any other moderator has said, please do. It gets boring if whatever we say is always taken as gospel truth.

Sorry, I meant that (before I edited my post) I disagreed with the actions taken by a moderator with regard to ms.hoorah above. Then I remembered the rule about not doing that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:05:09 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 09:52:51 PM »

What's the difference between disagreeing with a moderator and disagreeing with said moderator's moderation?  How exactly would that work?  If Bobby Joe said, "I don't like the color blue."  And a moderator comes along and says, "You know we don't use the word 'blue' here, therefore you are formally warned."  If a third party came along and said, "In certain contexts, we've been allowed to use the word 'blue'.", that would technically be disagreeing with the moderator but necessarily the moderators' moderation.  But, based on past experience, it's almost always seen as disagreeing with the moderators' decision to moderate.  Don't mean to sound argumentative, I'm just confused. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2010, 10:09:46 PM »

Sorry, I meant that (before I edited my post) I disagreed with the actions taken by a moderator with regard to ms.hoorah above. Then I remembered the rule about not doing that.

IMO: if you feel strongly enough to almost say something publicly (and I'm glad you didn't), then you should probably send me a PM with your thoughts. Smiley

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2010, 10:17:44 PM »

IMO: if you feel strongly enough to almost say something publicly (and I'm glad you didn't), then you should probably send me a PM with your thoughts. Smiley

Bless, Father.

What do you make of the highlighted words above?  I'm a bit confused.

Reverencing your hand...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:18:18 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »

What's the difference between disagreeing with a moderator and disagreeing with said moderator's moderation?  How exactly would that work?  If Bobby Joe said, "I don't like the color blue."  And a moderator comes along and says, "You know we don't use the word 'blue' here, therefore you are formally warned."  If a third party came along and said, "In certain contexts, we've been allowed to use the word 'blue'.", that would technically be disagreeing with the moderator but necessarily the moderators' moderation.  But, based on past experience, it's almost always seen as disagreeing with the moderators' decision to moderate.  Don't mean to sound argumentative, I'm just confused.  

1. I think (and I could be wrong) that Mr. Y's comment was more along the lines of, "It is o.k. to disagree with what a moderator posts (i.e. non-official, not in green text, etc.) - that's what we have a forum for."

2. We certainly do understand that it can be difficult to distinguish disagreeing with a mod and disagreeing with moderation.  It is a tension that is not new here.  But we accept it, because we also don't like telling the mods to not post here, and because we also don't like forcing mods to have dual personalities (a la CAF) - but rather making every moderator/GM/Admin accountable for what they say.

3. #2 above is one big reason why we have the standard policy for mods that all official actions must be taken in green font (thus, the mods cannot "prosecute" for disagreeing with non-colored speech), and for everyone that any responses to green font speech should be made via PM.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 10:21:04 PM »

Gabriel,

Funny you should ask, as I was formulating my thoughts on that very question while you were typing.  I hope my answer makes sense to you.

May the Lord bless you with a good Lent and glorious Pascha!

---------------------
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 10:34:39 PM »

Gabriel,

Funny you should ask, as I was formulating my thoughts on that very question while you were typing.  I hope my answer makes sense to you.

Thank you, Father.  I think I get the gist of what you're saying, but if moderator is posting as a regular poster (i.e. non-official, not in green text, etc.), then technically, I'm not disagreeing with a moderator but simply just another poster (who also happens to be a moderator).  But in order for me to disagree with a moderator (i.e. official, in green text, etc.), well, it seems I'd be breaking OCnet policy.  Am I making sense?

May the Lord bless you with a good Lent and glorious Pascha!
Thank you, Father.  (Is this the proper response?) Smiley

PS.  I wish that whenever a moderator was speaking as a moderator, he/she would do so in moderatorial green text so as to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 10:38:53 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 11:03:17 PM »

Gabriel,

Funny you should ask, as I was formulating my thoughts on that very question while you were typing.  I hope my answer makes sense to you.

Thank you, Father.  I think I get the gist of what you're saying, but if moderator is posting as a regular poster (i.e. non-official, not in green text, etc.), then technically, I'm not disagreeing with a moderator but simply just another poster (who also happens to be a moderator).  But in order for me to disagree with a moderator (i.e. official, in green text, etc.), well, it seems I'd be breaking OCnet policy.  Am I making sense?
You're getting very close to a correct understanding.  The only correction I would make is that it's totally permitted to disagree with a moderatorial action via private message.  You would be breaking OCnet policy only if you disagree with a moderator's official green-text action in public (to include threads on the Private Forum).

PS.  I wish that whenever a moderator was speaking as a moderator, he/she would do so in moderatorial green text so as to avoid confusion.
For the most part, we already do.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:08:33 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2010, 12:43:21 PM »

That was pretty much my point.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: