OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:44:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poor Sandra Bullock  (Read 1285 times) Average Rating: 0
xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« on: March 24, 2010, 12:32:26 AM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/comments_blog/2010/03/share-your-thoughts-jesse-james-sandra-bullock-media-bombshell.html

lord have mercy. i cant believe he would do that to her. he was a nobody & she... well she's sandra bullock! even america's sweetheart can get cheated on.

why do men cheat? i dont get it. she's like... a princess. why would anyone cheat on her? shame on you cheating husbands!!! shame, shame, shame!!!

Ephesians 6:10-18
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:56:30 AM »

I hate to break it to you, but it isn't just the men who cheat.
Mivac

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:58:30 AM »

I hate to break it to you, but it isn't just the men who cheat.

Recent studies have shown that the vast majority of men who cheat on their wives, cheat with women.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »

Before this thread continues into a debate encompassing scandal and gossip I would like to take a moment to offer some advice based on the bible.  Gossip is never good but yet we all partake in it. But it is something we should all strive to not participate in.  When it comes to people who are in the public spotlight somehow it is felt they owe society something above and beyond someone who isn't in the spotlight.  Matthew 12:36
"But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken."  Continuing; Proverbs 20:19
"A gossip betrays a confidence; so avoid a man who talks too much." Let us remember this when speaking of other people.  The media chose to make this married couple's secrets public but that doesn't give us a right to judge and gossip about it.  Rather spend the time praying for the marriage and for the people involved rather than participate in such idle chatter.  Just a little reminder from your section moderator, username!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:47:05 PM by username! » Logged

Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/comments_blog/2010/03/share-your-thoughts-jesse-james-sandra-bullock-media-bombshell.html

lord have mercy. i cant believe he would do that to her. he was a nobody & she... well she's sandra bullock! even america's sweetheart can get cheated on.

why do men cheat? i dont get it. she's like... a princess. why would anyone cheat on her? shame on you cheating husbands!!! shame, shame, shame!!!

When the Cheetah Woods scandal broke out I was talking about it with one of my secular guy friends, and I was like "but none of those girls are anywhere near as beautiful as his wife". And he gave me this reply: "A guy may have the sexiest most beautiful wife but eventually he gets fed up of her s___."

Not that I think this is a valid excuse for cheating (or any excuse for that matter), but it does demonstrate how these cheaters justify their actions.
xuxana
babygirl

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:41:07 PM »

When the Cheetah Woods scandal broke out I was talking about it with one of my secular guy friends, and I was like "but none of those girls are anywhere near as beautiful as his wife". And he gave me this reply: "A guy may have the sexiest most beautiful wife but eventually he gets fed up of her s___."

Not that I think this is a valid excuse for cheating (or any excuse for that matter), but it does demonstrate how these cheaters justify their actions.

yeah but why get married in the first place if ur gonna cheat? why not just date & stay friends?   when you commit to somebody like in marriage it should be for keeps.

wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »

yeah but why get married in the first place if ur gonna cheat? why not just date & stay friends?   when you commit to somebody like in marriage it should be for keeps.

I don't think most people get married with the intention of cheating.
xuxana
babygirl

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:54:03 PM »

I don't think most people get married with the intention of cheating.
in the book of hosea, his wife not only cheated on him, but went back to her old ways. but he still took her back.  i think taking someone back in spite of what they did is so difficult to do.  but because hosea was following god,  he had to honor his commitment to his wife.

zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:31:46 PM »

I doubt very much that Sandra Bullock is "poor".

John

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »

Why are we so concerned that this bad thing happened to Sandra Bullock?  Is she not permitted to have a private life just because she's a Hollywood celebrity?  Can we not let her work through this ordeal without us having to pry our noses into it?

IOW, where's that "give a damn" meter when we need it?
zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 08:20:29 PM »

W
Why are we so concerned that this bad thing happened to Sandra Bullock?  Is she not permitted to have a private life just because she's a Hollywood celebrity?  Can we not let her work through this ordeal without us having to pry our noses into it?

Permitted?   The laws of our land (USA) establish that which is done in public by any individual is open to public scrutiny.  Even the Lord asked, "Who do men say that I am.?"

john

Courteous is my name,
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:02:07 PM »

W

Permitted?   The laws of our land (USA) establish that which is done in public by any individual is open to public scrutiny.
Then scrutinize what she does in public.  Don't pry into what she does in the privacy of her home.

Even the Lord asked, "Who do men say that I am.?"
What does this have to do with the topic of discussion?
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:20:27 PM »

W

Permitted?   The laws of our land (USA) establish that which is done in public by any individual is open to public scrutiny.
Then scrutinize what she does in public.  Don't pry into what she does in the privacy of her home.

Ah, how predictable.  The usual senseless discussion trying to derail a ROCOR (or other conservative) poster.  Since you seem to be having a bit of a problem with the obvious, let's explain.  An actor is a public figure by choice.  They put themselves in the public eye to make their fortune, so there really is no such thing as the "privacy of their home".  It comes with the job.  Deal with it.  Just like I gave up my "right" to due process (random searches of my body and belongings) and my "right" to privacy (financial records gone through every five years, full background investigation and finger printing every three to five years) when I chose to handle nuclear material and carry firearms for a living, an actor gives up their "right" to privacy when they want to put themselves on display for money.  If they don't like it, they can quit.

Second, Jesus' quote has everything to do with your post, to which Zoar's comment was directed.  Even Jesus, as a public figure, seemed to wonder (or at least asked rhetorically, since He is all knowing) what the public thought of him.  Given your question, I certainly can see the sense in what was written in response.  Perhaps it would have made more sense to you if someone from another jurisdiction would have posted it instead.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 11:38:28 PM »

W
Why are we so concerned that this bad thing happened to Sandra Bullock?  Is she not permitted to have a private life just because she's a Hollywood celebrity?  Can we not let her work through this ordeal without us having to pry our noses into it?

Permitted?   The laws of our land (USA) establish that which is done in public by any individual is open to public scrutiny.
Then scrutinize what she does in public.  Don't pry into what she does in the privacy of her home.

Ah, how predictable.  The usual senseless discussion trying to derail a ROCOR (or other conservative) poster.  Since you seem to be having a bit of a problem with the obvious, let's explain.  An actor is a public figure by choice.  They put themselves in the public eye to make their fortune, so there really is no such thing as the "privacy of their home".  It comes with the job.  Deal with it.  Just like I gave up my "right" to due process (random searches of my body and belongings) and my "right" to privacy (financial records gone through every five years, full background investigation and finger printing every three to five years) when I chose to handle nuclear material and carry firearms for a living, an actor gives up their "right" to privacy when they want to put themselves on display for money.  If they don't like it, they can quit.
But when does an actor's private life have such a potential impact on public safety that we need to scrutinize them?  I can understand the public's need to scrutinize the private lives of those who possess or intend to possess such potential to impact our safety and the safety of our communities, since we're placing so much of our lives into their hands.  I don't see entertainers having this impact.  If we didn't have such a voyeuristic desire to know all the dirt on what our entertainers do behind closed doors, why would we even need to know?  They make themselves public figures solely for our entertainment, not because they're defending our safety.

Second, Jesus' quote has everything to do with your post, to which Zoar's comment was directed.  Even Jesus, as a public figure, seemed to wonder (or at least asked rhetorically, since He is all knowing) what the public thought of him.  Given your question, I certainly can see the sense in what was written in response.  Perhaps it would have made more sense to you if someone from another jurisdiction would have posted it instead.
Probably not.  If anyone from any jurisdiction had posted what zoarthegleaner posted, I would probably still have read it as I did.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:06:18 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 11:51:22 PM »

W

Ah, how predictable.  The usual senseless discussion trying to derail a ROCOR (or other conservative) poster.  Since you seem to be having a bit of a problem with the obvious, let's explain.  An actor is a public figure by choice.  They put themselves in the public eye to make their fortune, so there really is no such thing as the "privacy of their home".  It comes with the job.  Deal with it.  Just like I gave up my "right" to due process (random searches of my body and belongings) and my "right" to privacy (financial records gone through every five years, full background investigation and finger printing every three to five years) when I chose to handle nuclear material and carry firearms for a living, an actor gives up their "right" to privacy when they want to put themselves on display for money.  If they don't like it, they can quit.

Second, Jesus' quote has everything to do with your post, to which Zoar's comment was directed.  Even Jesus, as a public figure, seemed to wonder (or at least asked rhetorically, since He is all knowing) what the public thought of him.  Given your question, I certainly can see the sense in what was written in response.  Perhaps it would have made more sense to you if someone from another jurisdiction would have posted it instead.

Poppycock. 

The desire, however "legal" to delve into the life of another, especially one that we have personal interaction with, is nothing less than sinful and should be beneath anyone who is serious about being a Christian.  In all my reading of the Fathers and of holy elders, I have never seen one encourage such behavior.  The only, and I mean ONLY, appropriate response for an Orthodox Christian when we see anyone, public or private, going through something like Sandra Bullock and Jesse James are going through is, "Lord, have mercy!"

Period.

Do I fall short of this?  Of course.  The lives of celebrities has always intrigued me.  But I've learned not to try to justify this impulse. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »

Nobody here has scrutinized Sandra Bullocks "private home life."  She did however say publically that if she had been Tiger Woods wife, she would have kept hitting him with the golf club. 

john

Courteous is my name,
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »

Do you think St. John the Forerunner owes an apology to Herod?

John

Courteous is my name,
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »

Nobody here has scrutinized Sandra Bullocks "private home life."
Of course, but they want to stick their noses into it.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »

Do you think St. John the Forerunner owes an apology to Herod?

John
Herod was a ruler of the people.  Sandra Bullock and Jesse James are not.  So what's your point?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 05:10:45 PM »

Ah, how predictable.  The usual senseless discussion trying to derail a ROCOR (or other conservative) poster.

This is a ridiculous charge to make. I'm a "conservative" poster and I find this thread gossipy, pointless, and I think it should be closed.

Second, Jesus' quote has everything to do with your post, to which Zoar's comment was directed.  Even Jesus, as a public figure, seemed to wonder (or at least asked rhetorically, since He is all knowing) what the public thought of him.  Given your question, I certainly can see the sense in what was written in response.  Perhaps it would have made more sense to you if someone from another jurisdiction would have posted it instead.

I think the argument was weak, and also against the consensus of the Scriptures, and the Church Fathers.  Whether she is a public figure or not is pointless. We are not supposed to talk smack about other people's personal sins.  We can admonish people whom we know and love in private if our heart is towards pleading with them to come back from sin, but we cannot gossip and talk about people's secret sins, even if they "deserve" to be publicized (which I think is a separate topic for discussion).

Jesus saying "Who do men say I am" has to do with a Messianic confession of faith! It's a whole different league!  I expect as an Orthodox priest for people to question my confession of faith. This is the right thing for Orthodox people to do (within reason). I subject myself to this questioning every time I make a post. But if someone questions my personal faults in public, they are engaging in gossip.

My only regret is that I am not free from engaging in gossip from time to time. But I admit it's a sin, and I hope to overcome it. May we all be spared from justifying it!

Fr Anastasios
(The definition of a "conservative" poster here)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:12:34 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 06:02:34 PM »

As the moderator of Other Topics I concur with Father Anastasios (the administrator of oc.net) and his opinion that this thread should be closed.  It is gossipy and pointless.  We have bigger things to consider in our lives at the present moment.  This thread is closed. -username! section moderator

Tags: cheating husbands sandra bullock 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: