OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 09:46:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I didn't think it was such a big deal.....  (Read 825 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 23, 2010, 10:47:37 PM »

Hello, all.

it is now 4 days till my chrismation.  I have been told by people at church, aswell as an Orthodox friend, that they want to get me something.  I didn't know it was a "gift-giving occasion".

I know I'm entering the church and that is a HUGE deal for me.  but,  didn't know it qualified as a gift-giving occasion.

converts:  was your baptism/chrismation like this?  I had no idea there would be gifts.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:52:31 PM »

Just accept whatever people give you humbly. If they give you money and you don't need it, put it in the offering when no one is looking. If you need the money, thank God for the blessing. If it is a non-monetary gift, put it to good use.

I didn't get a gift per se, but they put on a meal and cake for my wife and me when we were baptized.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:53:30 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:55:14 PM »

good advice, Fr. Anastasios.

I guess just joining Christ's church is the GREATEST gift God could ever give me.  gifts were the last thing I expected.

I have the smallist feeling that this is a silly thing to post about, but I'm just so very excited, and have so many questions

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:57:21 PM »

I certainly wasn't expecting anything from anyone aside from maybe an icon from my Godparents.  I ended up getting something from everyone in attendance.  People like to give gifts, especially icons, at chrismations.  It's a joyous time, for a prodigal has returned, so to speak!

I also echo the advice the good Fr. A has given.  

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:58:40 PM »

Giving a gift is often a way for others to share in your joy of the "Greatest gift"...."it's better to give than to receive."  Conversions are always quite exciting for everyone.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:03:16 PM »

Hello, all.

it is now 4 days till my chrismation.  I have been told by people at church, aswell as an Orthodox friend, that they want to get me something.  I didn't know it was a "gift-giving occasion".

I know I'm entering the church and that is a HUGE deal for me.  but,  didn't know it qualified as a gift-giving occasion.

converts:  was your baptism/chrismation like this?  I had no idea there would be gifts.

I forgot which ancient church historian it was....hmm I don't think it was Eusebius, There was a church historian after him.....but I can't think of his name. Hmm, But the giving of gifts is an ancient church custom. It goes way way way back.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:04:22 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 11:13:52 PM »

Think of it as your birthday--only better.
xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 12:25:04 AM »

what?!? they give u gifts? wow... can i get re-baptized? i want gifts too!

Ephesians 6:10-18
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 12:57:35 AM »

I remember my tonsuring as a monk back in the bad old days of Tito's Yugoslavia.   The holy monastery of Zica, a cold and snowy winter's night, Saint Sava's eve, 26 January.

The tonsuring was at the end of a long Vigil....it seemed to go on forever.... and afterwards everyone in the church came up to congratulate us (there were two of us new monks) and to kiss the Crosses we had been given.   And so many people, mainly the grannies, laid socks across our arms as presents.... and many of them said:  "From your mother who cannot be here."   It was quite an emotional time of gift-giving.

Enjoy it, Trevor, and may God richly bless your new life!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 01:01:56 AM »

I remember my tonsuring as a monk back in the bad old days of Tito's Yugoslavia.   The holy monastery of Zica, a cold and snowy winter's night, Saint Sava's eve, 26 January.

The tonsuring was at the end of a long Vigil....it seemed to go on forever.... and afterwards everyone in the church came up to congratulate us (there were two of us new monks) and to kiss the Crosses we had been given.   And so many people, mainly the grannies, laid socks across our arms as presents.... and many of them said:  "From your mother who cannot be here."   It was quite an emotional time of gift-giving.

Enjoy it, Trevor, and may God richly bless your new life!
what a heart-warming story!  May I ask, what part of Yugoslavia were you tonsured in?   

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 01:47:47 AM »

oops
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:49:23 AM by Irish Hermit » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: