OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 10:17:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolia to OCA  (Read 1151 times) Average Rating: 0
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« on: January 09, 2004, 01:15:25 AM »

Does anybody have some links about the history of the OCA.  I am particularly intersted in their relationship with the MP and ROCOR in the first half of the 20th century.  Hopefully nothing too polemical, but if that is all that is out there that is fine too.

Thanks!

Nektarios
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 12:52:21 PM »

Here are a few links straight from the horse's mouth on the history of the OCA:  http://www.oca.org/pages/orth_chri/Q-and-A/index.html#oca

And on the relationship between the OCA and ROCOR:
http://www.oca.org/pages/orth_chri/Q-and-A_OLD/OCA-and-ROCOR.html

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 07:35:43 PM »

If you can find it, an out-of-print book called "Orthodox America 1794-1976" has good history (it was published for the Bicentennial of the US in 1976).  A newer book, Orthodox Christians in North America 1794-1994 has some good hx as well.
As someone who's been interested in this a lot in the past, I can tell you that most of the ROCOR-published material is vehemently anti-OCA, and much of the OCA material does not support the legitimacy of the ROCOR.  Not a bright spot in the history of Orthodoxy in America.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 07:43:21 PM »

The Truth About the Russian Church Abroad is a good resource, in my opinion. It was written by  M. Rodzianko, the brother of the now departed Bishop Basil Rodzianko of the OCA.

It's available in PDF format here: www.monasterypress.com/anonftp/pub/Rocatruth.pdf

It can also be ordered here:

http://www.holycross-hermitage.com/mall/BookStore/TruthROCA.asp
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 07:43:47 PM by Bogoliubtsy » Logged

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 07:47:48 PM »

You can also read a bit about it on the OCA's webpage(not much). Take a look at the 5th, 6th, and 7th All American Councils.

http://www.oca.org/pages/ocaadmin/documents/all-american-council/historyindex.html#s6

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 12:50:59 AM »

Thank you everybody...I will go through the material presented (it may take some time though before I can come back to comment as I suddenly have become very busy...).  What got me thinking about all this is a picture in Fr. Seraphim's Bio taken of a few monks at the Russian Monastery on the Holy Mountain - three of whom become bishops, one MP, one OCA, one ROCOR.
nicodemus

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 10:35:54 PM »

There is another book by Alexander Boglepov called Towards An American Orthodox Church that deals with some of the historical issues of Orthodoxy in America.  A lot of it has to do with canon law, but it is still an interesting read.  It is available through St. Vladimir's Orthodox press.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: