OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 07:37:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tips on memorizing the creed?  (Read 3601 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 22, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »

Hello, All. 

I am home all week, and have alot of time to memorize the creed, which I must do by this Saturday (my chrismation)

may I have some tips on how to memorize it?  my priest said that if I can't remember it, he'll hold up a card that I may read from.  but, I think that this prayer will come in handy during my life, so I might as well memorize it now.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:18:41 PM »

Read it 5 times a day, including covering up the text as you go.

If you have a computer with sound, record yourself reading the creed without a text, and compare to the text after you finish to spot omissions.

Pray to the Fathers of the First 2 Ecumenical Councils for their help.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »

Read/say it out loud about 20 times today. Saying it out loud will engage more of your brain. After the tenth time, try doing it without glancing at the text unless you have to. Repeat every day.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:40:10 PM »

I think reading it five times a day as Fr. Anastasios suggested and eventually try saying it without looking at the text unless you really have to. Its easy to memorize and it will come natural in time. It will also help to study the Creed and make sure you understand what it really means and then that will also help with memorization and plus, you will be saying it with understanding and not just saying the words.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »

I think reading it five times a day as Fr. Anastasios suggested and eventually try saying it without looking at the text unless you really have to. Its easy to memorize and it will come natural in time. It will also help to study the Creed and make sure you understand what it really means and then that will also help with memorization and plus, you will be saying it with understanding and not just saying the words.
Wow, to truly understand the Creed...that's quite an undertaking. I still don't feel like I fully understand what it means for Christ to be "God of true God" or for the Holy Spirit to "proceed from the Father," or for that matter, what it means to be part of the "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church." But I know what you're saying, that the Creed should not be empty words. They are far from empty; in fact, one could spend a lifetime studying the Creed and still not fully know what it says.

As far as memorization goes, there's nothing like repetition. For me, I repeat it until I can say the passage I am trying to memorize backwards. So, for the Creed,

"Amen.
And the life of the world to come.
I acknowledge One Baptism for the remission of sins,
I believe in the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church," etc.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
drewmeister2
Elder

Jurisdiction: Hellenic Orthodox Traditionalist Church of America

Christmas at St Markella's Cathedral, Astoria, NY

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »

I have memorized the Creed by hearing it chanted over and over again, so maybe finding a recording of the Creed being chanted will help.

Orthodoxia i Thanatos

IC    XC      ...and in ONE HOLY CATHOLIC
    +                   and APOSTOLIC CHURCH...
NI    KA

www.hotca.org | www.YouTube.com/GreekOrthodoxTV
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:07:39 PM »

Wow, to truly understand the Creed...that's quite an undertaking. I still don't feel like I fully understand what it means for Christ to be "God of true God" or for the Holy Spirit to "proceed from the Father," or for that matter, what it means to be part of the "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church." But I know what you're saying, that the Creed should not be empty words. They are far from empty; in fact, one could spend a lifetime studying the Creed and still not fully know what it says.

As far as memorization goes, there's nothing like repetition. For me, I repeat it until I can say the passage I am trying to memorize backwards. So, for the Creed,

"Amen.
And the life of the world to come.
I acknowledge One Baptism for the remission of sins,
I believe in the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church," etc.

Yeah, um, some of that stuff is like M.Div. class-work lol.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:09:12 PM »

Read/say it out loud about 20 times today. Saying it out loud will engage more of your brain. After the tenth time, try doing it without glancing at the text unless you have to. Repeat every day.

And then you go to the church up the street and the translation is different.  lol, it happens.

Thankful
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 02:04:43 AM »

It helped me to step back and take a look at / memorize the overall flow.  At the first the Creed speaks of God the Father, and the act of creation.  Then it moves to speaking of Jesus Christ; this is the longest "section." First it covers several things about Him and His being; then moves through His life, death and resurrection.  Finally it addresses the end of the ages in relation to Christ.  Next of course it speaks of the Holy Spirit and a several things about Him. Then it finishes up with statements about the church, baptism, and what we look forward to when time ends. 

With writing this out, I'm not making light of the Creed in any way and hope it did not seem so.  Repeating it a lot helps most, but also having in your head the general flow as you move from topic to topic helps as well. 

Quinault
Protokentarchos

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:54:12 AM »

Singing the creed will help you remember it better if you are anything like me. My parish started out singing the Creed like the OCA (we are Antiochian), but then we were instructed to change over to reciting the creed. I still sing it in my head everytime I recite the creed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oMGgOozpXM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_Aak_iipk
(The person that put up the video above is a little weird, but the setting of the creed is nice and clear)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 12:04:30 PM by Quinault » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 12:04:51 PM »

They (i.e. priests)  used to beat the kids, in the older days, for not knowing the creed by heart.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 12:44:57 PM »

They (i.e. priests)  used to beat the kids, in the older days, for not knowing the creed by heart.

Same the world over. In the Protestant U.S., kids used to get smacked around for not knowing their Bible, a la Proverbs 23:13-14.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 12:57:08 PM »

Same the world over. In the Protestant U.S., kids used to get smacked around for not knowing their Bible, a la Proverbs 23:13-14.
There's too much smacking of children in the world these days.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »

My vote is with the singers/chanters.  Learn it to one of the simple tunes common in the Church.  Then when you say it, sing it in your head but say it normal with your mouth.

Another thing that might help is to write it out while you sing/practice a few times.  The idea is to engage as many avenues of memory as possible.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 10:30:59 PM »

I have memorized the Creed by hearing it chanted over and over again, so maybe finding a recording of the Creed being chanted will help.

You can download an mp3 from this site.

http://www.orthodoxtwopartmusic.org/otpl.html

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Transfiguration

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »

I think all but the shortest prayer rules I've seen include the Creed. Perhaps including it in your morning/evening prayers would help.
chrevbel
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 05:35:20 PM »

Best memorizing tip I've ever heard and used:  start by memorizing the last sentence (or portion, or whatever).  Once mastered, add the sentence before that one, then the one before that, etc.  That way, you're constantly "running into" material you've already mastered, reinforcing it.
deuteros

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 07:47:15 PM »

Is it typical for a parish to require a recitation of the creed from memory upon chrismation? My chrismation is probably 6 months away and I probably have about 25% of the creed memorized just by hearing it and trying to sing it in church, but I wasn't aware that I would have to recite it. I just figured I would be reading it out loud.
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 08:06:30 PM »

Is it typical for a parish to require a recitation of the creed from memory upon chrismation? My chrismation is probably 6 months away and I probably have about 25% of the creed memorized just by hearing it and trying to sing it in church, but I wasn't aware that I would have to recite it. I just figured I would be reading it out loud.

I have memorized the Creed over two months. I recite the Creed in my evening prayers, and I would gradually add a new line or two until I memorized the Creed.  I enjoy reciting a Creed that has been spoken by so many, and I feel the Creed is an important part of my prayers.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 11:18:10 PM »

yes, it is.  Well, I wimped out.  I said it from a card.  Butthe reasin behind it is to profess what you believe, therefor declairing that you believe in the teachings of the Orthodox Church (I Believe in one God the father etc. etc. etc.)

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 11:23:09 PM »

I still have to read the creed when reciting it in private and I've been reciting it(In some form) for my entire life! Tongue

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
deuteros

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 11:24:57 PM »

I still have to read the creed when reciting it in private and I've been reciting it(In some form) for my entire life! Tongue

Definitely much easier to remember it when it is being sung rather than just saying it from memory.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 11:25:50 PM »

They (i.e. priests) used to beat the kids, in the older days, for not knowing the creed by heart.

Ah, the good ol' days, in the authentic old world Orthodoxy. How I pine for thee, sacred motherland...
Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 11:27:07 PM »

I would say that  what your saying is true although I would say that it is easier to remember when said as a community because at my parish we recite the creed rather than chant it. Smiley

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 11:27:38 PM »

I can do it by heart these days, but I'm like you because of the Roman Catholic upbringing. All I had to do was learn to take out a few crucial words, and presto! Orthodox!
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2010, 11:31:29 PM »

I can do it by heart these days, but I'm like you because of the Roman Catholic upbringing. All I had to do was learn to take out a few crucial words, and presto! Orthodox!

I was so afraid to do it by  heart, because I'd been saying it when I said the rosery.  Glad I used a card after all.

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 11:32:48 PM »

Yeah I know that feeling

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 11:49:30 PM »

Definitely much easier to remember it when it is being sung rather than just saying it from memory.
Only the Russians sing it-a novel practice, I think.
All other Orthodox recite it. I never had a problem remembering it, even if recited.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 11:50:39 PM »

They (i.e. priests) used to beat the kids, in the older days, for not knowing the creed by heart.

Ah, the good ol' days, in the authentic old world Orthodoxy. How I pine for thee, sacred motherland...
My sentiments, exactly  Roll Eyes
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 11:51:28 PM »

my parish also sings it, and we are an OCA parish.  but, I guess we came from the Russian church so this makes sence

Altar Server
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 11:53:04 PM »

All other Orthodox recite it. I never had a problem remembering it, even if recited.
My Parish is OCA so technically russian in heritage so maybe it's just our priest

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »

My Parish is OCA so technically russian in heritage so maybe it's just our priest

My parish is under the Patriarchate of Bulgaria and we chant the creed. Although I have not been to other Bulgarian parishes to know if we are different from the others.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 12:16:17 AM »

My parish is under the Patriarchate of Bulgaria and we chant the creed. Although I have not been to other Bulgarian parishes to know if we are different from the others.

In Christ,
Andrew

how interesting!  I didn't know that there was a Bulgarian Orthodox Church.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 12:21:59 AM »

My sentiments, exactly  Roll Eyes

Just teasing; don't get your knickers in a twist!  Wink
Thankful
Elder

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 09:30:23 AM »

Required?  I don't think so, but can't say conclusively.  We weren't required to memorize it -- we just had after saying it so often during services and prayers.  If we hadn't known it we would have read it from the prayer book the Deacon was holding. 

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 09:43:34 AM »

A Christian is required to know: "Our Father", "Rejoice o Mother of God", The Creed, the ten commandments, the  Beatitudes and the nine commandments of the Church.
That's what all older priests taught us.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 11:42:09 AM »

What are "the nine commandments of the Church"?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:42:23 AM by mike » Logged
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »

My first "version" of the creed was the 1962 Canadian Book of Commmon Prayer. That, and the Tridentine Latin (!) are the ones I'm most familiar with. With a few tweaks here and there, I see the Antiochians adhere to the Cranmer text. I think their version comes closest to the BCP, even more so than the Jordanville. Makes it easier to remember, although one can get tripped up over "consubstantial with the father / consubstantialem patri" (Roman Catholic) vs "of one essence with the father" (Antioch, GOA) vs "being of one substance with the father" (BCP).
Tags: The Creed 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: