OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:51:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Church of Czech and Slovak Lands  (Read 814 times) Average Rating: 0
filipinopilgrim

« on: March 22, 2010, 12:00:11 PM »

What calendar does the Orthodox Church of Czech and Slovak Lands employ?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:09:18 PM »

The revised Julian one. I've heard also that some Parishes are Finnish-like but I do not know anything in detail.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:12:12 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:55:37 PM »

I think that the practice may differ between eastern Slovakia (old calendar) and the Czech lands ( modified new calendar). As far as I know, I have not heard of any Finnish style Pascha dating since prior to the collapse of communism. I recall that for 'economia' there may be small parishes sharing the services of a priest which are on different calenders for the immoveable feasts. As an aside, the Greek Catholics are split between the old and new calenders but most observe Pascha with the west - a strange reversal of the common practice in the states for us Orthodox - a sort of modified/remodified calendar!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:57:59 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure that most of the parishes in Eastern Slovakia are on the Julian Calendar, because my grandfather-in-law (a Slovak of Slovak, Rusyn, German, and Jewish descent) watched a program on mainstream TV about Orthodox Christmas on January 7 and remembered to email us and congratulate us Wink

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
filipinopilgrim

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:14:44 PM »

I just saw this:

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/articles/2010/03/the-czech-orthodox-church-a-community-with-a-long-and-rich-history-in-bohemia-and-moravia/

Another challenge for members of the Orthodox Church is that its calendar is out of synch with the Catholic Christian calendar that prevails here. As a result Orthodox churchgoers have to adapt to public Christian-based holidays like Christmas and Easter being celebrated here on different days to those of their own church.

Igor Strelec, however, says that instead of this being a problem, he and his fellow Czech co-religionists can enjoy the best of both worlds:

EasterEaster “For me and my family – and I think for most Orthodox families in the Czech Republic – this is not a problem because we have twice as many celebrations. We celebrate both Christmases. I must say that we celebrate Christmas according to the Czech calendar like every family here because we love this celebration. And then we celebrate according to our Orthodox calendar in a more religious manner.”
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: