OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 09:37:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does it mean to be Egyptian?  (Read 1936 times) Average Rating: 0
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« on: March 22, 2010, 12:05:43 AM »

In regards to the identity, can someone tell me what it is to be Egyptian?

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:23:29 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

I'm hesitant to answer, only because I'm trying to understand the point of your question.

Today, being Egyptian holds a genetic diversity similar to saying "being American."  Sometimes some Egyptians look very Mediterranean, i.e. share similar features with Greeks and Italians, and some Egyptians seem to share features with Arabs, and then you have the more African/part African (i.e. darker skin, coarse hair, etc.) looking Egyptians.  Pretty much sometimes, you see someone and you are surprised to find this person is Egyptian, while other times you may believe someone might look Egyptian to you, while in fact he/she may be Spanish, Greek, Italian, Israeli, Iranian, even Indian.

So what does it mean to be Egyptian?  I don't know...speaking in an Egyptian accent of Arabic may be one clue, tracing your close ancestry to some time back in Egypt?  I'm not sure what your question alludes to specifically.

Here's one litmus test, if you see a dude named Mina...definitely Egyptian, specifically Coptic Christian (because as far as I know, only Egypt has Mina as male names).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:24:23 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 12:40:40 AM »

Here's one litmus test, if you see a dude named Mina...definitely Egyptian, specifically Coptic Christian (because as far as I know, only Egypt has Mina as male names).

Not quite. Mina as a male name is also found among Greeks.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 12:49:31 AM »

It means pronouncing the letter ﺝ ,'geem' instead of 'jeem'.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:50:15 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 01:03:53 AM »

Among Romanians as well, although no longer that common nowadays. anyway, St. Mina remains a very popular saint to whom one appeals to retrieve lost things, much like St. Anthony in the West.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:05:53 AM »

I thought it was "Minas"

If anything, the joke is if you go to a Coptic Church and you yell out Mina, probably between a third to half the Church's men will turn around.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:09:01 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 01:07:13 AM »

It means pronouncing the letter ﺝ ,'geem' instead of 'jeem'.  Wink

True for the Lower Egyptians;this rule doesn't apply for Upper Egyptians (Southern that is), i.e. the Sa'idi peoples, the butt of most Egyptian stereotypical, borderline "racist" jokes (ah, yes, yet another characteristic of an Egyptian; you're Egyptian if you know some Sa'idi jokes).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:13:10 AM by minasoliman » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 01:07:45 AM »

Among Romanians as well, although no longer that common nowadays. anyway, St. Mina remains a very popular saint to whom one appeals to retrieve lost things, much like St. Anthony in the West.

Interesting.  I know a few female Mina's from Romania.  But these are nicknames for Cosmina.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »

True for the Lower Egyptians;this rule doesn't apply for Upper Egyptians (Southern that is), i.e. the Sa'idi peoples.

Makes sense; the folks I know/knew were from Al-Qahira.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:38:12 AM »

I thought it was "Minas"

Minas is the nominative form. Mina is the form in all other cases. As an aside, the overwhelming number of diminutives of Russian male names end in -a, such as Misha (Michael), Grisha (Gregory), Sasha (Alexander), Alyosha (Alexius), Zhenya (Eugene), etc.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 05:00:24 AM »

True for the Lower Egyptians;this rule doesn't apply for Upper Egyptians (Southern that is), i.e. the Sa'idi peoples.

Makes sense; the folks I know/knew were from Al-Qahira.

That would be me, specifically a Shoubra Egyptian

Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 06:43:59 AM »

I'm also uncertain by what is meant here. Are you referring to ethnicity? I have heard that many Egyptians don't like being termed "Arabs" because of their Pharaonic heritage. Same with many Lebanese due to their Phoenician heritage, and many Maghrebis (Moroccans, Algerians & Tunisians) due to their Berber heritage.
xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 07:03:08 AM »

thats when you do this....

Ephesians 6:10-18
Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »

LOL Cheesy
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 11:25:10 AM »

I'm also uncertain by what is meant here. Are you referring to ethnicity? I have heard that many Egyptians don't like being termed "Arabs" because of their Pharaonic heritage. Same with many Lebanese due to their Phoenician heritage, and many Maghrebis (Moroccans, Algerians & Tunisians) due to their Berber heritage.

That's more of a Coptic thing (although I personally don't mind identifying myself as an Arab, since that's a loose term to identify); personally, Copts do this because of how they're disgruntled with the treatment by Muslims.  Arguably, if we lived in complete peace with Muslims, we probably would have the majority of Copts being proud of being Arab. 

Egyptian Muslims as far as I know don't have a problem being called Arab.  The official name of the nation of Egypt today is the "Arab Republic of Egypt" (ARE).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:27:04 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

I'm hesitant to answer, only because I'm trying to understand the point of your question.

Today, being Egyptian holds a genetic diversity similar to saying "being American."  Sometimes some Egyptians look very Mediterranean, i.e. share similar features with Greeks and Italians, and some Egyptians seem to share features with Arabs, and then you have the more African/part African (i.e. darker skin, coarse hair, etc.) looking Egyptians.  Pretty much sometimes, you see someone and you are surprised to find this person is Egyptian, while other times you may believe someone might look Egyptian to you, while in fact he/she may be Spanish, Greek, Italian, Israeli, Iranian, even Indian.

So what does it mean to be Egyptian?  I don't know...speaking in an Egyptian accent of Arabic may be one clue, tracing your close ancestry to some time back in Egypt?  I'm not sure what your question alludes to specifically.

minasoliman,
The point to my question is that I, a free Californian, don't know what an Egyptian is.  I'm starting to think that there is no such thing as an Egyptian anymore.  The current state of affairs does not take one iota away from the history of Egypt.  The term, Egyptian, lost it's meaning because Egypt lost it's identity, If an educated Coptic Orthodox Christian can't understand a simple question, then Egyptian identity is lost. 

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 10:40:17 PM »

If an educated Coptic Orthodox Christian can't understand a simple question, then Egyptian identity is lost. 

I think Mina and the others have really done their best to understand and answer your question.  The problem is that the question may be a little vague.  For example, why did you ask it in the OO section?  Did you intend it to be a question about what it is to be a Copt?  If so, you may want to look at this thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,23039.0.html

If, however, you meant Egyptian in a more general sense, the question may have been better placed elsewhere, since most Egyptians today are not Coptic. 

I get the feeling from the above responses that the Egyptian population is pretty diverse.  That doesn't mean, however, that they have lost their identity.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »

If an educated Coptic Orthodox Christian can't understand a simple question, then Egyptian identity is lost.

I think your problem is that you think "What does it mean to be Egyptian?" is a simple question. It's not. We're talking about millenia of history here. Just because the answers might be more complex than you would like doesn't mean that "there is no such thing as an Egyptian anymore."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 02:17:59 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

minasoliman,
The point to my question is that I, a free Californian, don't know what an Egyptian is.  I'm starting to think that there is no such thing as an Egyptian anymore.  The current state of affairs does not take one iota away from the history of Egypt.  The term, Egyptian, lost it's meaning because Egypt lost it's identity, If an educated Coptic Orthodox Christian can't understand a simple question, then Egyptian identity is lost. 

What's a Californian?

Eleos
Elder

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

minasoliman,

What's a Californian?
it was a stupid question in the first place on my part, excuse me.

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »

I teacher whom I liked once said that there are no stupid questions.  Yours was just a bit vague is all.  Perhaps you could just elaborate more on what you want to know.   Smiley

Tags: Egyptian 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: