OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 09:10:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anglican Breviary and Monastic Diurnal  (Read 4885 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: March 21, 2010, 11:32:37 PM »

Anyone here use the Anglican Breviary or the Monastic Diurnal for their daily prayers?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:42:25 AM »

If anyone does, can they tell me what the primary differences are in the texts of the ordinaries? (I am not asking about the general difference btwn breviaries and dirnals; i know diurnals only contain the day offices)

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »

I would be happy to have someone tell me what a Diurnal is, since the mental image that I am getting is not pretty.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »

Here's a link to FAQ on the monastic diurnal:  http://www.westernorthodox.com/stmark/lion/lion2006-05

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:27:48 PM »

If anyone does, can they tell me what the primary differences are in the texts of the ordinaries? (I am not asking about the general difference btwn breviaries and dirnals; i know diurnals only contain the day offices)

The biggest difference is that the Anglican Breviary follows the 1911 reformed Roman usage of the Psalter, so that psalms are chopped up and arranged so that roughly an equal number of verses are said for each day. The Diurnal (and accompanying Matins volume) use the Monastic (i.e. Benedictine) Psalter.

The Benedictine (and, to an extent, the pre-1911 Roman) Psalter more clearly shows the links between the Western divine office and the Byzantine, with things like the little hours and Compline having (mostly) invariable psalms, Lauds beginning with Psalm 50 and ending with Psalms 148-150 (corresponding with the second half of Byzantine Matins), and Matins having two nocturns on feriae (two kathismata at Matins) and three on feasts (two kathismata + Psalm 118 / Polyeleos in the Byzantine).

Other differences in the ordinary are inherent to the variations between Roman and Benedictine usage, e.g. the Benedictine usage replaces the scripture readings at ferial Matins with a short lesson during the summer months, ferial matins has two nocturns rather than one, etc.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 01:04:17 PM »

I would be happy to have someone tell me what a Diurnal is, since the mental image that I am getting is not pretty.

A Diurnal, from the Latin diurnalis meaning "of the daytime", just has the daytime offices and skips Matins, which is as long and complicated in the Western rites as it is in the Eastern and is technically a "nightime" office.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: