OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 01:24:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Charles visited a Cathedral in Prague  (Read 1235 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: March 21, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »

ON THE verge of crying, Camilla turns her head away as husband Prince Charles views harrowing images recording atrocities committed by the Nazis during the Second World War.

The Duchess of Cornwall, whose father, Major Bruce Shand won two Military Crosses for his bravery as an Army officer, joined Charles on an emotional visit to the Orthodox Cathedral of Saints Cyril and Methodius in the Czech Republic yesterday.

In 1942, the church in Prague was the scene of a last stand by seven Czech soldiers, who took refuge in the crypt after assassinating the senior SS officer and police general Reinhard Heydrich, known as the Butcher of Prague and once named as Adolf Hitler’s heir.

The soldiers were betrayed to the Gestapo, who sent 800 officers to surround the cathedral with orders to capture the group alive. The Gestapo were forced to storm the church and spent three hours attempting to smoke and flood the men out.

Three of the Czech patriots died defending the nave while the remaining four fought until down to their last ­bullets, which they used on themselves.

The killing lead to the so-called Heydrich Terror when, in a bid to quash national resistance, the Nazis razed the village of Lidice, 20 miles from the capital. All the men were shot, the women were sent to concentration camps and the children were all sent for adoption in Germany.

As well as viewing the memorial to the victims, the royal couple laid a wreath for the dead. The cathedral visit came as they neared the end of a nine-day tour of eastern Europe, which has already taken them to Poland and Hungary.

Crowds gathered outside Prague’s castle to greet them before their meeting with President Vaclav Klaus and his wife, Livia Klausova which was followed by an official dinner at Prague’s castle hosted by the president.

source

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:51:49 PM »

Great story. Didn't realize Vaclav Klaus was still the President. That's pretty cool.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 01:55:21 AM »

How many Czechs are Orthodox?  Were the soldiers ethnic Czechs or of Slovakian/Rusyn descent?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 05:27:33 AM »

How many Czechs are Orthodox? 

Low single digits.

Were the soldiers ethnic Czechs or of Slovakian/Rusyn descent?

Don't know, but St. Gorazd, the Archbishop who was also martyred, was Moravian i.e. Czech.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:57:53 PM »

I just read about it on Orthodox Wiki.  A very inspiring story.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 05:07:26 PM »

Very interesting story... Though I'd assume the focus would be on those innocents that were killed by the Nazis during the Heydrich Terror and not the soldiers themselves. Even if they were Orthodox, I wouldn't exactly call their deaths a martyrdom.
Lord Have Mercy on those innocents who were massacred by the Nazis...
Cantor Krishnich
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Pan-Orthodox Christianity

Mar Ahmed the Daftadar

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »

How many Czechs are Orthodox?  Were the soldiers ethnic Czechs or of Slovakian/Rusyn descent?

According to Orthodox Wiki, the Orthodox Church of the Czech and Slovak Lands has 71,000 adherents.
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Church_of_the_Czech_Lands_and_Slovakia
According to Wikipedia, it has 100,000 adherents.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_and_Slovak_Orthodox_Church

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »

I've been to that Cathedral but I didn't known about that story then.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: