OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 02:45:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An unholy Lent  (Read 1134 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: March 21, 2010, 04:04:12 AM »

I'm just realizing that this is the last week before Holy Week. Where has Great Lent gone? What have I done to grow in my prayer life or askesis? It seems like nothing. If anything, I've gone backwards.

Please pray for me, that I may perhaps at least keep these last few days of Lent with vigilance.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Knytshade
Newly Illumined 1-1-11

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Midwest Diocese

Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 06:48:19 AM »

Believe you me, I wholly understand all too well, and this is only my 1st Lent.

Lord have mercy and may God grant you the necessary strength, peace and guidance...

"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:42:33 AM »

Lord have mercy.

From the Paschal Homily of St. John Chrysostom:
"....If anyone has arrived even at the eleventh hour, let him not fear on account of his delay. For the Master is gracious and receives the last, even as the first; he gives rest to him that comes at the eleventh hour, just as to him who has labored from the first.... "

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 08:58:06 AM »

Lord, have mercy. Very understandable.

I recall a story: one guy asked a monk who lived in an Orthodox monastery, "what do you guys do all day in your monastery?" The monk answered, "ah, it's very simple: we fall down, and then rise up. Then we fall again, and rise again. Then fall, then rise..."

Love never fails.
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »

Lord have mercy, this is my first Lent as well.

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:44:16 PM »

Thanks all. This will be my third Lent as an Orthodox Christian.

Lord have mercy on all of us!

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 01:47:10 PM »

Lord have Mercy.
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »

I'm just realizing that this is the last week before Holy Week. Where has Great Lent gone? What have I done to grow in my prayer life or askesis? It seems like nothing. If anything, I've gone backwards.

Please pray for me, that I may perhaps at least keep these last few days of Lent with vigilance.

I feel exactly the same way!  Cry

Lord Jesus Jesus Christ Son of God have mercy on me a sinner
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:10:03 PM by Byzantine2008 » Logged

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
Byzantine2008
Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »

Lord have mercy.

From the Paschal Homily of St. John Chrysostom:
"....If anyone has arrived even at the eleventh hour, let him not fear on account of his delay. For the Master is gracious and receives the last, even as the first; he gives rest to him that comes at the eleventh hour, just as to him who has labored from the first.... "

A very uplifting quote.  Smiley

Let your will be done O Lord Jesus Christ through the intercession of you All Pure Mother and all the saints!
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »

Yes, the distractions are many. I know what you mean. Lord have Mercy!

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 07:06:30 PM »

Lord, have mercy. Very understandable.

I recall a story: one guy asked a monk who lived in an Orthodox monastery, "what do you guys do all day in your monastery?" The monk answered, "ah, it's very simple: we fall down, and then rise up. Then we fall again, and rise again. Then fall, then rise..."

A read a similar story about a despondent man who went to a monk and explained, "I have fallen so many times, and each time I get back up I only fall again." The monk looked at him and said, "My son, do not focus on how many times you fall; but rejoice instead that you always get back up."

"Lord have mercy on us."

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »

I stumbled upon this quote just yesterday and it was somewhat encouraging and yet scary:

Abba Xanthias said, 'The thief was on the cross and he was justified by a single word; and Judas who was counted in the number of the apostles lost all his labour in one single night and descended from heaven to hell. Therefore, let no-one boast of his good works, for all those who trust in themselves fall.'

Perhaps this can also be relevant.  Through the prayers of the right-hand thief, remember me oh Lord when You come into Your kindgom.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 09:00:46 PM »

Kyrie Eleison!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 10:33:08 PM »

Lord have Mercy!

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 06:44:29 AM »

Believe you me, I wholly understand all too well, and this is only my 1st Lent.

Lord have mercy and may God grant you the necessary strength, peace and guidance...

y'all need to do volunteer work @ ur parish.  i  volunteer my time at the parish bakery & we make pastries all day.  we feed our deacon, we pray, we stay connected. im the youngest one there.  on occasion,  there are some young folks there donating their time but not too often. most people spilt after liturgy & dont help out, or even ask the deacon/priest  where they can help.

i love the parish bakery. i really benefit from it because i get to hang out with old retired folks that fast & so their humility & patience rubs off on me. im so simultaneously exhausted & grateful  by the end of the day that when it comes time for me to do my compline... im so humbled.   i cant explain it but its like my prayers are so much more genuine & deep.  so i guess thats what saved my lenten experience.  being in church all the time keeps you immersed in it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:45:20 AM by xuxana » Logged

Ephesians 6:10-18
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 12:56:25 PM »

This presentation, entitled "Relying on the Mercy of God: What to Do When Great Lent Isn't So Great," given by Father Stephen Loposky, Director of Camp Nazareth, Mercer, PA on March 6th in Pittsburgh at a Lenten Retreat may help you.  http://www.acrod.org/multimedia/audio/conferences/2977
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Although I mentioned in another thread that I am delaying my catechism indefinitely, I have attempted to go through the rigours of Great Lent (the fast and the extra Liturgies). I have never, ever observed any kind of Lenten tradition before (even though surrounded by Catholic relatives) and--it's hard! My reasoning for doing this was, "If I can survive Great Lent, then maybe I can become an Orthodox Christian."

So persevere my friend. Run the good race and fight the good fight.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Although I mentioned in another thread that I am delaying my catechism indefinitely, I have attempted to go through the rigours of Great Lent (the fast and the extra Liturgies). I have never, ever observed any kind of Lenten tradition before (even though surrounded by Catholic relatives) and--it's hard! My reasoning for doing this was, "If I can survive Great Lent, then maybe I can become an Orthodox Christian."

So persevere my friend. Run the good race and fight the good fight.

Prayers for you as well!

And if it's any consolation, I don't think anyone has ever died from observing Great Lent! Wink

Lord have mercy on us all!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 07:52:01 PM »

Lord have mercy.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Tags: Lent 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: