OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 03:20:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dennis Hopper RIP  (Read 932 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« on: May 29, 2010, 02:53:21 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EZhc_YZ2fs&feature=related

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 03:04:13 PM »

He played the villain in Speed (w/ Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock), didn't he?  May his memory be eternal!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 06:24:13 PM »

Man, this is sad! Dennis Hopper was a great actor. One of my favorites. Some of my favorite performances of his were in:

Easy Rider

Hoosiers

Paris Trout

Blue Velvet

Giant

Apocalypse Now

Dennis Hopper was definitely a trip! 

"Memory Eternal!"

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 07:35:52 PM »

He played the villain in Speed (w/ Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock), didn't he?  May his memory be eternal!

He also played the villain in Waterworld and at least a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head.

He definitely had an acting style that will be missed.

Famous actor or not, may his memory be eternal.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:52:41 PM »

+Memory eternal.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:54:37 PM »

Let's all down a few Pabst Blue Ribbons in his name before the Apostles' Fast begins.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 11:15:31 PM »

Man, this is sad! Dennis Hopper was a great actor. One of my favorites. Some of my favorite performances of his were in:

Easy Rider

Hoosiers

Paris Trout

Blue Velvet

Giant

Apocalypse Now

"Memory Eternal!"

Selam

My favorite was his part in "Straight Shooter".  Only he could have played that role.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 02:10:49 AM »

Let's all down a few Pabst Blue Ribbons in his name before the Apostles' Fast begins.

Ha! Grin (Only true Dennis Hopper fans will get that. Wink)

Selam

“Lord, I say too many uncharitable things about people every day. I say them because they make me look clever. Help me to realize how cheap this is. I am stupid, quite as stupid as the people I ridicule. Help me to stop this selfishness, because I love You dear God." ~ FLANNERY O'CONNOR ~
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:11:45 AM »

Easy Rider

Hoosiers

Paris Trout

Blue Velvet

Giant

Apocalypse Now

"Memory Eternal!"

Selam

My favorite was his part in "Straight Shooter".  Only he could have played that role.

I don't think I've seen that one. What's it about?

Selam

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 04:59:30 AM »

Blessed Rest Grant Thy Servant Lord....Amen Amen
May His Memory Be Eternal.....Amen Amen

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 08:21:59 AM »

Selam
[/quote]

A German, formerly in the French Foreign Legion, has his daughter die from radiation sickness and his wife commit suicide.  He goes nuts and starts to assassinate all of the political officials who had anything to do with it.  The German police cannot catch the guy, so they bring in the man who trained him (Hopper) with the help of the CIA.  It turns out that Hopper made "Straight Shooter" into what he was in more ways than one, and Hopper starts to realize that all of this is his fault.

It is somewhat an anti-nuclear and anti-war film.  The daughter dies because of leakage from a nuclear reactor built pretty much next to a residential area.  Germany does not have vast tracks of nothing to put them in like we do over here.  It also shows how difficult it is for men who have spent their whole lives training and engaged in war to adjust to peace and civilian life.  One powerful part of the movie is after one of the assassinations, the prime minister looks around at the destruction and in shock and revulsion asks what kind of person does these things.  Hopper tells her that it is war.  It is implied that perhaps the politicians should get a good look at it, since they are the ones that cause it.

I liked the movie because, unlike the senseless violence for the sake of entertainment that is prevalent in most American movies, this one made me think and question many of my own beliefs.  Winston Churchill once said, paraphrasing Orwell, "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."  Orwell wrote of Kipling that Kipling's "grasp of function, of who protects whom, is very sound. He sees clearly that men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them."   Orwell also wrote, "Those who ‘abjure’ violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf".  This is a topic that has come up on this board.  The movie "Straight Shooter" somewhat asks the question as to what happens when one of these "rough men" forgets who he is supposed to protect.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »

My favorite was his part in "Straight Shooter".  Only he could have played that role.

Selam

From Punch
A German, formerly in the French Foreign Legion, has his daughter die from radiation sickness and his wife commit suicide.  He goes nuts and starts to assassinate all of the political officials who had anything to do with it.  The German police cannot catch the guy, so they bring in the man who trained him (Hopper) with the help of the CIA.  It turns out that Hopper made "Straight Shooter" into what he was in more ways than one, and Hopper starts to realize that all of this is his fault.

It is somewhat an anti-nuclear and anti-war film.  The daughter dies because of leakage from a nuclear reactor built pretty much next to a residential area.  Germany does not have vast tracks of nothing to put them in like we do over here.  It also shows how difficult it is for men who have spent their whole lives training and engaged in war to adjust to peace and civilian life.  One powerful part of the movie is after one of the assassinations, the prime minister looks around at the destruction and in shock and revulsion asks what kind of person does these things.  Hopper tells her that it is war.  It is implied that perhaps the politicians should get a good look at it, since they are the ones that cause it.

I liked the movie because, unlike the senseless violence for the sake of entertainment that is prevalent in most American movies, this one made me think and question many of my own beliefs.  Winston Churchill once said, paraphrasing Orwell, "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."  Orwell wrote of Kipling that Kipling's "grasp of function, of who protects whom, is very sound. He sees clearly that men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them."   Orwell also wrote, "Those who ‘abjure’ violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf".  This is a topic that has come up on this board.  The movie "Straight Shooter" somewhat asks the question as to what happens when one of these "rough men" forgets who he is supposed to protect.
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll have to try and watch it soon.

Looking at Hopper's filmography, I am amazed at how many of his movies I haven't seen.

Selam
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:13:00 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: