OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 01:51:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: names, names, names!  (Read 1980 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: March 18, 2010, 09:01:33 PM »

I wa told to take a saint's name at chrismation.  I have just been asked who my patron is, and what my christian name will be.  when I said I thought they were the same thing, the person told me that my patron could be a saint, and my christian name would be that of a different saint.

please explain his, before I explode from confusion!
yochanan
Arch-laity of the Room of Supreme Awesomeness

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: OMHKSEA (Philippines)

O majestic aurora, how seeming did He fashion you!

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:09:45 PM »

I wa told to take a saint's name at chrismation.  I have just been asked who my patron is, and what my christian name will be.  when I said I thought they were the same thing, the person told me that my patron could be a saint, and my christian name would be that of a different saint.

From what I know your Christian name and your Patron Saint could be the same. My friend's saint is St. Matthias the Apostle (the one who took Judas' place) and his Christian name is Matthias, too.

Hmm.. But I'm wondering -- I want St. Katherine of Alexandria to be my patron saint (honestly, I do -- it seems I have a crush on her) and imagine my Christian name would be Katherine even if I'm male. LOL. How weird would that be?

I hope what the person told you was right.  angel

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us..." (Acts 15: 28)
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »

As I understand it, they are usually one and the same. And if you have a Christian name, you don't need to select another one.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:14:01 PM »

From what I know your Christian name and your Patron Saint could be the same. My friend's saint is St. Matthias the Apostle (the one who took Judas' place) and his Christian name is Matthias, too.

Hmm.. But I'm wondering -- I want St. Katherine of Alexandria to be my patron saint (honestly, I do -- it seems I have a crush on her) and imagine my Christian name would be Katherine even if I'm male. LOL. How weird would that be?

I hope so aswell :-)  .  I think that Tikhon of Moscow will be my patron, and my Christian name will be Michael.  it's my middle name.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:24:18 PM »

I hope so aswell :-)  .  I think that Tikhon of Moscow will be my patron, and my Christian name will be Michael.  it's my middle name.

I have never heard of this.

Please speak with your priest for further clarification.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
yochanan

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:27:17 PM »

But could I have a woman as a Patron? Even if I'm a man?

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:34:19 PM »

But could I have a woman as a Patron? Even if I'm a man?

Your priest would be the best one to direct you on this, but I don't see why not. I mean, the male name Panayiotis is in honor of the Theotokos, and the name Ionna (a female name) honors John the Baptist.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
PeaceSerenity

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:38:24 PM »

You can definitely have a patron saint of a different gender than you. My godmother's patron saint is St. Simeon the New Theologian and my mom's patron saint/patron person (?) is the Archangel Micheal.

Most people that I know are named after their patron saint, though, and if they have converted their Christian name is their saints name. If the Saint is of a different gender they usually change it: Simeon -> Simona, or something like that.

I'm trying to figure out Katherine though...In Romanian we have the name Catalin, but that doesn't work to great in English....Kather, Keith? I don't know, sorry!
yochanan

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:42 PM »

You can definitely have a patron saint of a different gender than you. My godmother's patron saint is St. Simeon the New Theologian and my mom's patron saint/patron person (?) is the Archangel Micheal.

Most people that I know are named after their patron saint, though, and if they have converted their Christian name is their saints name. If the Saint is of a different gender they usually change it: Simeon -> Simona, or something like that.

I'm trying to figure out Katherine though...In Romanian we have the name Catalin, but that doesn't work to great in English....Kather, Keith? I don't know, sorry!

I think Keith would be nice.  Grin

soufliotiki

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 02:57:27 AM »

Your Patron Saint is the Saint whose name you adopt at baptism, not everything requires "check with Spiritual Father" some things are just known, usually by the "cradles" because it has been part of their culture for hundreds and hundreds of years ... knowledge as old and as timeless as the Church Fathers with no disrespect intended by me by the way I said it.

We inherit some of the "properties" of the name and also the characteristics of the Saint who sanctifies that name.

This does not prohibit us from assuming "honourary" Patron saints ... some cultures adopt a Patron for the family household (usually this custom is to assume as Patron the Saint whose name the "Father" of the house holds) ... other cultures assume a secondary Patron Saint each year.

This honourary title of Patron should be discussed with your Spiritual Father, I guess but you would not be breaking any Canons and it certainly does not harm anyone to honour a Saint!

However, our true Patron is the Saint whose name we adopt because we "inherit" spiritual tendencies from.

Very simple Smiley
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 03:00:36 AM by soufliotiki » Logged

Guide my heart, O Blessed Wisdom, and my tongue will also be guided ...
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 04:00:10 AM »

My experience has been that your patron saint, is the saint associated with the name you are given at Baptism, "...inscribe him in the Book of Life, unite him to the flock of Thine inheritance..."  Certainly you may also be devoted to other saints, too.  That's why we have them.  The patron saint of your parish, for instance, is also your "protector."

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
soufliotiki

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 09:33:34 AM »

My experience has been that your patron saint, is the saint associated with the name you are given at Baptism, "...inscribe him in the Book of Life, unite him to the flock of Thine inheritance..."  Certainly you may also be devoted to other saints, too.  That's why we have them.  The patron saint of your parish, for instance, is also your "protector."

Yes, that is my understanding too ... the Patron is the one you are associated to through baptism. Next is your parish saint and next is a devotional saint for x,y,z reason ...

Smiley

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 11:04:23 AM »

My Saint's name, my given name, and the name I am called by the Church are all the same. If at all possible, choose as your patron the Saint for whom you were named. If you do not have the name of a Saint, then as an economy choose the name of a Saint to be called by the Church. But then, use that name in the Church. Having three names does tend to confuse others.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »

If you are still not sure, you might also consider looking at the saints who are commemorated on the day of your birth. There might be one of those you feel drawn to.  I received the name Seraphim, after St. Seraphim of Sarov because it was the reading of his life that convinced me I need to become Orthodox.
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 04:39:51 PM »

My given name is Owen; this is the Welsh form of Eugene.  At the time I was chrismated, I knew of now canonized Eugenes in the Orthodox Church, so I left it up to the parish priest to pick a name for me.  He chose Eugene of Cherson (Mar. 7), and I took that name and patronage as a matter of eccleesiastical obedience.  Only later did I learn that I might oave taken the name of St. Eugenia, or of St. Eugene of Carthage (both better known than my Eugene)--with a little nudging of the priest.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Thankful
Elder

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 07:53:58 PM »

Trevor, our family was baptized in January (our priest baptizes converts even if they've been baptized before) and as spoken above we just have one saint/name (they're the same), not a Christian name and a patron saint.  Our priest asked for suggestions on the name, but made the final decision.  Seven of us received the name we suggested; two didn't; and only the two littlest (too young to decide on their own) used names that were related to their given names even though several had names that are also the names of saints. 

HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 08:13:39 PM »

Your Patron Saint is the Saint whose name you adopt at baptism, not everything requires "check with Spiritual Father"

Considering their Spiritual Father would have to approve the name prior to Chrismation, yes, they would have to check with their Spiritual Father.

soufliotiki

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 03:50:27 AM »

Your Patron Saint is the Saint whose name you adopt at baptism, not everything requires "check with Spiritual Father"

Considering their Spiritual Father would have to approve the name prior to Chrismation, yes, they would have to check with their Spiritual Father.

You missed my point ... and that is largely due to poor grammatical expression on my behalf.

God Bless you.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: