OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:15:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox viewpoint on the Virgen De Guadalupe  (Read 3823 times) Average Rating: 0
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« on: March 16, 2010, 10:24:08 PM »

I have been wanting to ask this question for awhile now.  What is the Orthodox viewpoint or is there a viewpoint on the Virgen De Guadalupe?  Do you think that RC may possibly venerate the Virgin Mary too much?  I'm just curious because I know what it is to venerate the virgin mary but I also see those that appear (assumption) to over venerate her, such as giving more thanks and praise to the her than Jesus Christ.  I am also from southern NM and this may play a significant role in this.  I am not intending to stir the pot or create problems, I am just curious.  Thanks,
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »

I have been wanting to ask this question for awhile now.  What is the Orthodox viewpoint or is there a viewpoint on the Virgen De Guadalupe? 

There really isn't one: nothing in the story contradicts Orthodoxy (opposed to Fatima and Lourdes), Juan Diego wasn't a communicant of the Orthodox Church, the bishop he saw wasn't Orthodox, the church on the spot wasn't consecrated as an Orthodox Church, the Orthodox Church doesn't have the image.

That being said, I've seen her in Orthodox Churches (interestingly, in the narthex) and didn't see anything out of place with that.

Do you think that RC may possibly venerate the Virgin Mary too much? 

Yes.

I'm just curious because I know what it is to venerate the virgin mary but I also see those that appear (assumption) to over venerate her, such as giving more thanks and praise to the her than Jesus Christ.  I am also from southern NM and this may play a significant role in this.  I am not intending to stir the pot or create problems, I am just curious.  Thanks,

No problem.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:04:54 PM »

Not anymore than the Eastern Orthodox who pray to the Virgin Mary, "Save us!"
I think that debating who honors her more is just silly because its a completely subjective and we will both have reasons to point at the other group. This is the kind of argument used by people who are just "anti-Catholic" and "anti-Orthodox". Its not the kind of argument used by people seeking truth.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »

I believe it is entirely possible that the apparition is legitimate. If I recall correctly, it was after the apparition that large numbers of natives abandoned paganism and human sacrifice for Christianity. While I don't think that RCism is the true Church, I really doubt that it was likely that random natives in rural Mexico were going to find out about Orthodoxy in the 1530s so I'm willing to believe that the Virgin Mary took an "executive" decision to appear to them to convince them to stop human sacrifice and paganism even though they didn't end up Orthodox (step in the right direction, etc.).

Just my personal opinion, and not official Orthodox teaching. I have seen the icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe in one OCA bishop's home though, for what it's worth.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »

Just my personal opinion, and not official Orthodox teaching. I have seen the icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe in one OCA bishop's home though, for what it's worth.
Very Cool. Was this in the Southwest where devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe is wide spread?

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:41:11 PM »

Very Cool. Was this in the Southwest where devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe is wide spread?

No, strangely enough, it was in New York, a few years ago!

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:47:33 PM »

Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us!

Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:59:43 AM »

Strangely enough, the icon of the Virgin of Guadalupe (if we are to believe the account of its origin) is the only acheiropoieton (Not Made with Hands) native to the New World.  I've heard secondhand that Abp. Dmitri (ret.) of the OCA has affirmed that it's a legitimate icon, from an Orthodox point of view.  And the account of its appearance (in classical Nahuatl) did much to preserve that language from total destruction along with the pagan Aztec literature.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 01:20:23 AM »

I believe it is entirely possible that the apparition is legitimate. If I recall correctly, it was after the apparition that large numbers of natives abandoned paganism and human sacrifice for Christianity. While I don't think that RCism is the true Church, I really doubt that it was likely that random natives in rural Mexico were going to find out about Orthodoxy in the 1530s so I'm willing to believe that the Virgin Mary took an "executive" decision to appear to them to convince them to stop human sacrifice and paganism even though they didn't end up Orthodox

at least not right away:
5,000 Indians Baptized Orthodox in Mexico
The conversation published below took place in early December 2009, during the visit of Metropolitan Jonah (OCA) to Russia to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Moscow representation of the Orthodox Church in America, and is devoted to the activities of the Church in Latin America.

- When was the Mexican Exarchate established?

- The Mexican Exarchate exists since the early 1970's. At that time, the bishop of the Mexican National Old Catholic Jose Church, Jose (Cortes and Olmos), got in touch with our Church, and together with his community came to Orthodoxy. Because of his work, hundreds of Mexicans penetrated the Orthodox faith.

Recently, 5,000 Indians from 23 localities in the State of Veracruz were baptized Orthodox. However, such a huge mass of parishioners have only one priest. In the Mexican Exarchate there are in general very few clerics. All of them Mexicans, including the ruling bishop - Bishop Alejo (Pacheco-Vera).
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/12/5000-indians-baptized-orthodox-in.html

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 02:54:58 AM »

I believe it is entirely possible that the apparition is legitimate. If I recall correctly, it was after the apparition that large numbers of natives abandoned paganism and human sacrifice for Christianity. While I don't think that RCism is the true Church, I really doubt that it was likely that random natives in rural Mexico were going to find out about Orthodoxy in the 1530s so I'm willing to believe that the Virgin Mary took an "executive" decision to appear to them to convince them to stop human sacrifice and paganism even though they didn't end up Orthodox (step in the right direction, etc.).

They say that on closer inspection, you can see the reflection of Juan Diego in the eyes of the image.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:56:10 AM by ChristusDominus » Logged

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
ignatius
Baptacathadox
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic > Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

My Son Aidan... :-)

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 08:51:57 AM »

Our family has a picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe in our home. It is very beautiful.

St Basil the Great (330-379 A.D.): “I think then that the one goal of all who are really and truly serving the Lord ought to be to bring back to union the churches who have at different times and in diverse manners divided from one another.”
NMHS
Site Supporter

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 11:16:12 AM »

I think that debating who honors her more is just silly because its a completely subjective and we will both have reasons to point at the other group. This is the kind of argument used by people who are just "anti-Catholic" and "anti-Orthodox". Its not the kind of argument used by people seeking truth.

Papist,  I have seen this question thrown out on discussion boards by people that are trolling or are being anti-??whatever, but I assure I am seeking truth and my question was asked in humilty.  

I am not intending to stir the pot or create problems, I am just curious. Thanks,

This is why I included this statement in my original post.  Forgive me if you I stated it in a wrong manner.

I such as giving more thanks and praise to the her than Jesus Christ.   Thanks,

This is just an observation I have had over several years and I felt I needed to add the question to seek further clarification on this topic since I am not very knowledgdable in this particular area.  Maybe it wasn't a question to be added to the OP but nonetheless I didn't insert for any particular reason other than to seek truthfullness.

Thanks for all the post, I appreciate it! Caleb
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:20:48 AM by NMHS » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 07:00:10 PM »

Some strange icons of Roman Catholic origin are already venerated and commemorated in the Orthodox Church. If some Central American Orthodox maintain a devotion to the Virgen de Guadalupe, I'm not going to raise a fuss about it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »

Some strange icons of Roman Catholic origin are already venerated and commemorated in the Orthodox Church. If some Central American Orthodox maintain a devotion to the Virgen de Guadalupe, I'm not going to raise a fuss about it.
The icon or image is from North America, not Central America.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:16:29 PM »

Papist,  I have seen this question thrown out on discussion boards by people that are trolling or are being anti-??whatever, but I assure I am seeking truth and my question was asked in humilty.  

I am not intending to stir the pot or create problems, I am just curious. Thanks,

This is why I included this statement in my original post.  Forgive me if you I stated it in a wrong manner.

I such as giving more thanks and praise to the her than Jesus Christ.   Thanks,

This is just an observation I have had over several years and I felt I needed to add the question to seek further clarification on this topic since I am not very knowledgdable in this particular area.  Maybe it wasn't a question to be added to the OP but nonetheless I didn't insert for any particular reason other than to seek truthfullness.

Thanks for all the post, I appreciate it! Caleb
I know that you are sincere in your questioning. I was only stating that perhaps those questions are not so productive because of their subjective nature. Just know that I know you are really trying to seek the truth.

NMHS
Site Supporter

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 11:18:21 PM »

Thanks!
Tags: Theotokos 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: