Author Topic: Deacon Joseph Pasquella: An Orthodox Who Became A Catholic - The Journey Home  (Read 723 times)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkwyLB6uqlU

"Deacon Joseph was baptized Catholic, at the insistence of his father, when he little. When he was four, his father died and his mother then brought him up in a Pentecostal Church. Later in life, he was received into the Eastern Orthodox Church. His realization of the need of the authority of St. Peter as it is exercised through his successor the Bishop of Rome brought his to full-communion with the Catholic Church where he was ordained a deacon."

Whaddya think?

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Spiritually homeless

"Deacon Joseph was baptized Catholic, at the insistence of his father, when he little. When he was four, his father died and his mother then brought him up in a Pentecostal Church. Later in life, he was received into the Eastern Orthodox Church. His realization of the need of the authority of St. Peter as it is exercised through his successor the Bishop of Romebrought his to full-communion with the Catholic Church where he was ordained a deacon."

Whaddya think?

sedevacantists, Palmarians, Pope Michael of Kansas, Call to Action...

that's what I think.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
I think I saw this a while ago.  I have to say, even though he feels that the authority of Peter rests solely in the bishop of Rome, he does not consider the Orthodox any less part of the Church.  So I am always confused by those who say that Petrine Primacy is important, but the Orthodox are also of the Catholic Church.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:20:33 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • You talkin' to me?
  • Faith: Catholic in communion w/ EP
  • Jurisdiction: Syosset (Fourth Rome)
I'm curious to watch this. The only Orthodox to Catholic conversion I've seen on The Journey Home until now is James Likoudis (womp womp).

In the meantime, there's been a thread on this guy before apparently:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=11550.0
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)
Blast from the past!  My memory served me right  8)
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
Christ is risen!

"Deacon Joseph was baptized Catholic, at the insistence of his father, when he little. When he was four, his father died and his mother then brought him up in a Pentecostal Church. Later in life, he was received into the Eastern Orthodox Church. His realization of the need of the authority of St. Peter as it is exercised through his successor the Bishop of Rome brought his to full-communion with the Catholic Church where he was ordained a deacon."

Whaddya think?

not much.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Avdima

• Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
Christ is risen!

Whaddya think?

not much.

Hate to laugh but I have seen this posted so many times on this forum. Its like a MEME now.  ;D

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Some people put other people on speed dial, Isa puts The Western Schism on speed dial.
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Spiritually homeless
Some people put other people on speed dial, Isa puts The Western Schism on speed dial.

Are you there, Benedict XIII? It's me, Isa.

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

Whaddya think?

Well, I'd be more concerned if there was a long line of Orthodox "returning" to Rome.  If he needed authority I guess Christ wasn't enough for him.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
His realization of the need of the authority of St. Peter as it is exercised through his successor the Bishop of Rome brought his to full-communion with the Catholic Church where he was ordained a deacon."

How's that authority been working out for the last few decades? The RCC has been engulfed in liturgical and doctrinal chaos for decades, dissidents are everywhere, there is open war between liberals and trads within dioceses, messages from Rome are conflicting, radical priests and bishops are being, or have been, condoned. The list goes on and on.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:00:14 PM by Cyrillic »
"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!"
-T.S. Eliot

Offline Czar Lazar

• Elder
  • Само слога Србина спасава
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Српскa Православнa Црквa
His realization of the need of the authority of St. Peter as it is exercised through his successor the Bishop of Rome brought his to full-communion with the Catholic Church where he was ordained a deacon."

How's that authority been working out for the last few decades? The RCC has been engulfed in liturgical and doctrinal chaos for decades, dissidents are everywhere, there is open war between liberals and trads within dioceses, messages from Rome are conflicting, radical priests and bishops are being, or have been, condoned. The list goes on and on.

^

Offline wynd

• High Elder
  • Transfiguration

On the one hand, what's the point of having supreme, universal ordinary jurisdiction if you can't or won't use it to clean up the Church when it needs it?

On the other hand, if you have to mandate tradition from on high, you've already lost.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian

I would smugly agree with you, but unfortunately, I expect to see a day when Orthodoxy is similarly embroiled with such problems. Lord, have mercy!
Guys! They're not intercoursing. It's just an unfortunate angle.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland

I would smugly agree with you, but unfortunately, I expect to see a day when Orthodoxy is similarly embroiled with such problems. Lord, have mercy!

Unlikely, but perhaps. I'm not being smug about it, I really do feel sorry for sincere RCs who have lost a great deal in the chaos of the last few decades, but my point was that all the authority of the Pope, which is apparently so necessary, hasn't been able to stop it to any meaningful degree, and has at times even furthered or ignored it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:20:55 PM by Cyrillic »
"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!"
-T.S. Eliot

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
I think I saw this a while ago.  I have to say, even though he feels that the authority of Peter rests solely in the bishop of Rome, he does not consider the Orthodox any less part of the Church.  So I am always confused by those who say that Petrine Primacy is important, but the Orthodox are also of the Catholic Church.

Yes, life is full of paradoxes, apparent paradoxes, and all manner of other things that may confuse us.  God will sort it all out in His own time, I reckon. :)
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
A need for Peter's authority? And this Peter is the guy who claims to be infallible and Vicar of Christ? I mean, seriously. I wonder when is Patriarch of Antioch going to claim his place in these papal claims. xD
You pushed away the severe storm!
You made us believe comrade Kim Jong Il!
We are unable to live without you
Our country is unable to survive without you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yne-IsHzne4

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
A need for Peter's authority? And this Peter is the guy who claims to be infallible and Vicar of Christ? I mean, seriously. I wonder when is Patriarch of Antioch going to claim his place in these papal claims. xD

Which Patriarch of Antioch? There's like 8 of them. And half of them are Catholics.

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder

Which Patriarch of Antioch? There's like 8 of them. And half of them are Catholics.

His holiness John the X. 

Offline converted viking

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Please explain.

Viking

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder

Please explain.

Viking

Patriarch of Antioch is direct successor of Apostle Peter, just like pope of Rome.

Offline ialmisry

• Hypatos

Actually, we're all Catholics, and the Vatican's wannabes don't count.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.

Offline ialmisry

• Hypatos
stick with the tried and true.

Offline converted viking

• Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Please explain.

Viking

Patriarch of Antioch is direct successor of Apostle Peter, just like pope of Rome.

Ahhh Yes.  Now I understand.   I don't think we have to worry about him making himself into a pope.    A joke from you I think.

Viking

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches

Yep, just a billion poseurs worldwide.  ::)

Offline qawe

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic

http://smsv.ca
Coptic priest teaches heresy and proclaims a FULL unity of FAITH with Evangelical Protestants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4sRZXYN7_Fo#t=5725

Honourable Coptic bishop exposes this heresy:
"This teaching about the ‘unity of diversity’ will not establish unity but on the contrary, will establish schisms and offenses.
These individuals do not serve the Lord Jesus Christ.
They are misleading and deceptive.
We must expose them
."
http://returntoorthodoxy.com/bishop-youssef-true-christian-unity/

This same priest was inexplicably 'invited' to lead a delegation just a few days ago to address the Pope, >10 bishops and 100s of clergy at a conference that is supposed to decide the future of the Coptic Church in the Land of Immigration.

http://stsachurch.org
By his own admission: "Fr. Anthony doesn’t exactly fit the mold of what you’d expect from an Orthodox priest"
http://stsachurch.org/who-we-are/about-our-priest/

Looks like they accidentally left the word 'Orthodox' out of their logo!

Offline ialmisry

• Hypatos

Yep, just a billion poseurs worldwide.  ::)
truth does not depend on polling, and a popular error errs still.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:26:31 PM by ialmisry »