Author Topic: relics of St. John the baptist?!  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
relics of St. John the baptist?!
« on: March 15, 2010, 01:37:59 AM »
Hello, all.  I have just found that there are three supposed heads of St. John the Baptist and his hand venerated as relics.  could this be so? 

i read it here:  http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/Holy_Relics/St._John_the_Baptist/

it shows three pictures, but I can't believe my eyes.  are one of these truly the head of St. John the forerunner?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: relics of St. John the baptist?!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:52:43 AM »
Hello, all.  I have just found that there are three supposed heads of St. John the Baptist and his hand venerated as relics.  could this be so? 

i read it here:  http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/Holy_Relics/St._John_the_Baptist/

it shows three pictures, but I can't believe my eyes.  are one of these truly the head of St. John the forerunner?

All three could be.  Have you ever taken multiple photos of the same thing, only from different angles? ;)
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:25:17 AM »
It's pretty obvious to me that these are three photos of the relic, and not three different heads.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »
they could all be pictures of the same one, but my priest did say that there were three heads, all venerated as the relics of St. John the Baptist.  I just wonder, who on earth saved it for all these years?

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:00:28 PM »
they could all be pictures of the same one, but my priest did say that there were three heads, all venerated as the relics of St. John the Baptist.  I just wonder, who on earth saved it for all these years?

You have probably misunderstood your priest. The Orthodox Church commemorates two feasts regarding the finding of the head of St John the Baptist: the First and Second Finding (Feb 25), and the Third Finding (May 25).
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?