OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 01:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Akathist to Jesus Christ for a Loved One who has Fallen Asleep  (Read 3324 times) Average Rating: 0
xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« on: March 15, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »

http://www.monasteryproducts.org/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=94

this booklet is so beautiful. my mother passed away a few years ago and i have been looking for devotions for the dormition of loved ones. about the closest thing i could find was a catholic prayer book called Treasury of Novenas. in it contains the prayers to the souls in purgatory. since we orthodox don't have a purgatory, i didn't know if it would be appropriate for me to do.  i went ahead  and did it anyway and it actually felt ok & flowed well and made sense to me.

however, i just recieved the Akathist to Jesus Christ for a Loved One who has Fallen Asleep booklet last night in the mail & i'm over them moon about it. the devotion itself is so beautiful and it's most definitely orthodox in tone.  i did it last night and almost cried at the wordings used.  i'm also doing the Inexhaustible Cup Akathist to the Theotokos in this series to help me overcome my depression issues.  it takes some getting used to for me because i'm a jordaville prayer book loyalist & i use the theotokos akathist there on the daily.

God Bless you all. ^_^

Ephesians 6:10-18
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »

That akathist really is nice for reposed Orthodox loved ones. The general akathist for the departed (in the Jordanville Akathist Book vol. 1) is also good, but I do that one when I pray for the non-Orthodox reposed. The latter is online, but the former is not, which is a shame.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
KevinOrr

Faith: United Methodist

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:35:03 PM »

Where can you find that general akathist online?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:45:13 PM »

http://www.orthodox.net/akathists/akathist-for-those-who-have-fallen-asleep.pdf

i use this on the anniversary of the death of my departed ancestors.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 12:31:10 AM »

http://www.monasteryproducts.org/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=94
Akathist to Jesus Christ for a Loved One who has Fallen Asleep

Are these the same?  If not, is the latter available in booklet form?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »

I know the one I linked to is available in the Book of Akathists published by Jordanville.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 02:04:18 AM »

http://www.orthodox.net/akathists/akathist-for-those-who-have-fallen-asleep.pdf

i use this on the anniversary of the death of my departed ancestors.

Big Thanks on this one Schulz. Truly beautiful and (un)fortunately incredibly fitting.

Used some of the other suggestions in the other thread, but this was the meat of the matter.

Really thanks again. Can't say how . . . don't have the words. I can say someone who was there, who is an nominal atheist, was very moved and had more than a few questions about the Church and is interested in coming to see what goes on inside an Orthodox parish.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: