OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 12:00:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Role Models  (Read 2309 times) Average Rating: 0
The Caffeinator
Elder

« on: January 06, 2004, 09:34:26 AM »

Hello, I noticed that a lot of you have had some kind of dark period of unbelief, as I have. I wonder, who were your role models? Who first told you about prayer?

All of my grandparents were Catholic, and they helped put a good impression of the Faith on me. Also, I had an aunt and uncle who took me to their Methodist Church every now and then.

I think now that God has straightened out my life, my mom is a great role model for me.

I would love to hear your stories!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 10:47:58 AM by The Caffeinator » Logged
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 03:34:44 PM »

My Dad, I guess, he was elder and youth leader while I was growing up and I was priviliged to work with him for some years before I went to Bible College.

Now I have a few other cyber-friends who mean a lot to me and whom I can ask advice of, not all Orthodox, but all serious and little 'o' Orthodox.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 07:08:34 PM »

My former spiritual Father, a RC priest from Malta. He brought me out of a very low point in my life and is the reason I enjoy good health today. You can't go wrong with Maltese priests, thank God for 'em Smiley

Since I embraced Orthodoxy, a number of priests and nuns have provided the spiritual support I needed to understand what being Orthodox is all about and in reshaping my conception of the 'Church.'
amhalaba

St. Michael, defend us in the midst of battle.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 10:35:35 PM »

My mother was a fallen-away Catholic (birth control issues - my parents had six children, including a daughter with a serious birth defect), so I was raised with little religious structure. Whenever we traveled to the city, she would take us into cathedrals and spend time praying and lighting candles.

Once, as a know-it-all teen, I said something derogatory about the church, and in a very un-characteristic manner, she let me have it between the eyes. I think these experiences had a big effect on me... which says a lot about how powerful the smallest of actions and words can be.

Early in my conversion I met a woman who has been practicing EC, and studying more traditional RC and EO for years. She tosses me books, books and more books... and they all contain the stories and words of great Christian role models:  St John Chrysostom, Eckart, Chesterton, St Seraphim of Sarov, Katherine Doherty, Blessed Fr Seraphim Rose, the Optina Frs, St Terese of Lisieux and St Francis.

We've become close friends, and it's inspiring to see her struggle to live every day more and more according to Christ's teaching.

I found a Catholic Church in the next town with a truly wonderful priest who reminds me of John the Baptist.

The richness of role models, in body and in spirit, is beginning to make it hard to comprehend the world outside of Christianity.

"To live is to change, and to become perfect is to change often." - John Henry Neumann
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 11:02:05 PM »

That's beautiful.
Byzantine Christian

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 01:08:29 PM »

To Orthodoxy I would have to say a ROCOR Hieromonk that I know.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 01:11:41 PM by Byzantine Christian » Logged
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 04:14:22 PM »

To Orthodoxy I would have to say a ROCOR Hieromonk that I know.

Does he live in New Zealand?

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 08:53:59 PM »

Technically I'm not a convert, but Fr. Alexander Schmemann and his writings had & have a huge impact on me ---- if it weren't for them I probably would have gone for one of those protestant sects where people are superficially friendly.  Fr. Alexander helped me see the light in Christ and in His Church.  If it weren't for him I think I would have quit going to church long ago.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Byzantine Christian

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 02:21:31 PM »

No he doesnt, he lives here in the US.

In Christ
Daniel
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 10:54:14 PM »

My Mom - former Mennonite and former Seventh-Day Adventist - who converted to Greek Catholic and STEADFASTLY went to church, participated in the Divine Liturgy and other liturgical activities, and who ALWAYS dragged along the kids, no matter HOW COOL we became.

My Mom's father - a former Mennonite who converted to Seventh-Day Adventism - who was quiet, pious, and God-fearing.

My parish priest - Father Jaroslaw - who deeply feels and experiences his Christian faith ALWAYS (or so it seems to me), and tries hard to share his love.

Rev. Fr. W. Makarenko, who is a dynamic and moving speaker, educator, mover and shaker, and embracer.

Rev. Fr. A. Jarmus, who is a remarkable educator.

My friend, Sorin, who feels his Christianity deeply, and simultaneously feels deeply that he is the worst sinner of us all, much to my amazement.

St. John Chrysostom, whose writings move me whenever I read them.
OrthodoxCelt

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 10:40:50 PM »

Hieromonk Damascene from Brotherhood of St. Herman's. He wrote a wonderful book about Daoism and how that correlates to Orthodoxy. It was one of the first books I red on Orthodox Spirituality. When I was an inquirer I emailed him and he told me to visit the church that I currently go to St. John the Forerunner Orthodox Church.  

My Godfather Mike. He has the same christian background as I have. Him and his wife guided me with a great loving care. His is a true Christian father and husband.

My priest Fr. Aidan. His complete love for God and His Church inspired me to embrace the orthodox faith. Plus he has the best sense of humor I've ever seen in a pastor.

My Mom for always praying for me even when she thought I was going to hell for joining the wierd Orthodox church.

“It is later than you think!” Blessed Seraphim Rose
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: