Author Topic: An Unusual Visitor to Antiochian Village  (Read 1346 times)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
An Unusual Visitor to Antiochian Village
« on: March 14, 2010, 04:37:51 PM »

On March 3, 2010, an unexpected and out of the ordinary visitor arrived at the edge of the Antiochian Village property. A small black bear was sighted in a tree. A Game Comissioner was called in. He sedated the bear and gave it a mask to protect its eyes and mouth while being moved.

The Game Comissioner confirmed that this is out of the ordinary. After examination, it is clear that this young bear is ill and thin. He came out of hibernation early, and finding no food, he tried to locate some in the neighbor's garbage.

The Game Commission assured Mother Alexandra that sleeping beauty will be medicated, fed, and released somewhere good for bears.
source

Offline ms.hoorah

• High Elder
Re: An Unusual Visitor to Antiochian Village
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:54:30 PM »
Bears will continue to increase in number at Antiochian Village because the resorts south of them are trapping all of their bears, driving them up the highway, and dumping them out.   How do I know this?  While buying coffee in Sheetz, this guy asked if I wanted to see a 300 lb black bear in the back of his truck. He explained that he contracts with Nemacolin Woodlands and Seven Springs Resort to trap their bears.  (Apparently golfers don’t like bears with them on the golf course.)  After trapping them, he drives them north and releases them.   :o

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
Our Metropolis clergy were having a retreat at AV when this happened.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, we didn't see/interact with the bear.
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline ozgeorge

• I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
  • Hoplitarches
  • My plans for retirement.
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
After examination, it is clear that this young bear is ill and thin. He came out of hibernation early, and finding no food, he tried to locate some in the neighbor's garbage.
Poor little creature! He must be Orthodox- it looks like its been a rough Lent for him.
If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.

Offline alexp4uni

• Site Supporter
  • Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 10:37:58 PM »
Will this be the site for the future monastery for this jurisdiction? I mean near Antiochian village?

Offline Andrew21091

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:55:17 PM »
Will this be the site for the future monastery for this jurisdiction? I mean near Antiochian village?

Yeah, the monastery will be at the Village.

Offline arimethea

• Getting too old for this
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Does anyone really care what you think?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 01:15:18 AM »
More breaking news, a mouse was in my house but it did not survive.
Joseph