OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 05:30:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope under pressure as abuse claims sweep Church in Europe  (Read 28570 times) Average Rating: 0
Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2010, 08:29:04 AM »

That sort of earth-shattering evil.

Are you being sarcastic here?
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2010, 08:53:21 AM »

Stanley 123

I like the way your, dealing with these child abuses from the catholic church,on this board . being a catholic faithful and all, your not glossing if over, or bringing up protestant abuses,Jewish ,and others  or directing  the attention elsewhere, but where it belongs ....

The pope is throwing the blame,the bishops ,cardinals ,also Ive read every excuse possible in the news that the catholic church can think of..Something is truly wrong with the catholic church when  prophylactic are considered a major sin if used to prevent  pregnancy,or aids than child molestations,,and the predatory clergy are still allowed to function as such for years and years,by being transferred to do more harm....Enough excuses the pope ,cardinals.bishops  should step down ....

See to your own house. 

I have never met a bully that did not whine when the shoe was on the other foot. 
It was noxious to hear.

So see to your own house.

Mary

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2010, 08:55:41 AM »

Actually I was seriously thinking about people who believe their priest is wrong to discipline them and who think that any discomfort or pain, even that which they bring on themselves, is a great and grievous evil wrought against them that should be removed!!

So there is irony there but there is also a reality in it that is worth noting.

Mary

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »

We forget that there was a time, and not all that long ago, when priests were regularly taken out and beaten up ....
Sounds like a pretty good idea when a priest has been having sex with children.

"Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do."

Don't let them abuse again, but don't beat them up, either.  Let's not discard Christ while we condemn others for discarding Christ.
This mercy business should only go so far in my opinion when children's lives are at stake. I go by the Holy Scriptures which talks of millstones about the neck of the offender.
But do you have the power to send them to hell?
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2010, 06:14:47 PM »

We forget that there was a time, and not all that long ago, when priests were regularly taken out and beaten up ....

Don't let them abuse again, but don't beat them up, either.  Let's not discard Christ while we condemn others for discarding Christ.
This mercy business should only go so far in my opinion when children's lives are at stake. I go by the Holy Scriptures which talks of millstones about the neck of the offender.

Millstones sound like just the thing.  An early form of home detention.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2010, 06:26:02 PM »

And after all these years listening to you compare the Good the Bad and the Ugly, I was sure you were going to suggest sending them to one of those Orthodox hospitals for the soul.

I guess that's only for the Good Sinners!!

To Hell with the Bad and the Ugly.

Mary

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2010, 06:57:40 PM »

And after all these years listening to you compare the Good the Bad and the Ugly, I was sure you were going to suggest sending them to one of those Orthodox hospitals for the soul.

Mary

This new presumptuousness is not becoming, Mary, not becoming at all.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2010, 07:03:35 PM »

Mary

She raises a good point.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2010, 07:12:34 PM »

Mary

No presumption at all necessary!!  Only thing I needed to do was read your lips....

Out of the heart the mouth speaks.

Mary

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2010, 07:24:23 PM »

Mary

No presumption at all necessary!!  Only thing I needed to do was read your lips....

Mary

May God remove all malignancy from our hearts.

I myself would not have minded a millstone - confined to the house, free from the overwhelming social requirements, free to read and to pray.   Now I have my own millstone in the affliction of my body which has given me this wonderful freedom.  (Although I am about to go out to lunch with a Catholic priest friend!  :-)
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »

Mary

Mary

May God remove all malignancy from our hearts.

I myself would not have minded a millstone - confined to the house, free from the overwhelming social requirements, free to read and to pray.   Now I have my own millstone in the affliction of my body which has given me this wonderful freedom.  (Although I am about to go out to lunch with a Catholic priest friend!  :-)

Then forgive me.  I read too much into your comment and ignored a part of it that did not at first make sense to me!!...I am sorry  Cry

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »

I myself would not have minded a millstone - confined to the house, free from the overwhelming social requirements, free to read and to pray.   Now I have my own millstone in the affliction of my body which has given me this wonderful freedom.  (Although I am about to go out to lunch with a Catholic priest friend!  :-)

Then forgive me.  I read too much into your comment and ignored a part of it that did not at first make sense to me!!...I am sorry  Cry

Of course I forgive you and hope you forgive me and that God forgives us both.  There truly is no malignancy in my heart.... I am burdened with a sense of facetiousness and also with a touch of irony which does not always translate well...  Couple those innate features with an aspiration to become an old curmudgeon and.... well, there's not much hope for me. laugh
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:09:54 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »

I myself would not have minded a millstone - confined to the house, free from the overwhelming social requirements, free to read and to pray.   Now I have my own millstone in the affliction of my body which has given me this wonderful freedom.  (Although I am about to go out to lunch with a Catholic priest friend!  :-)

Then forgive me.  I read too much into your comment and ignored a part of it that did not at first make sense to me!!...I am sorry  Cry

Of course I forgive you and hope you forgive me and that God forgives us both.  There truly is no malignancy in my heart.... I am burdened with a sense of facetiousness and also with a touch of irony which does not always translate well...  Couple those innate features with an aspiration to become an old curmudgeon and.... well, there's not much hope for me. laugh

It's ok. It wasn't you this time.  T'was me!!  This is not a good topic for me to engage in any event.  It hits all kinds of raw nerves.

What most people forget is that many times we are abused by people we love very dearly in some fashion...So it is very hard for the wounded to participate in or watch the hate fest that is going on at the moment.

That does not excuse me from reading you so badly however and I felt like a dirty dawg till I read your note here!!  Now I feel MUCH bedder!!

M.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2010, 12:18:25 AM »

What a stupid question. Of course not. I am only giving my personal opinion on it.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2010, 01:03:15 AM »

I found i believe, the cause of the catholic churches Illness....It Started From this  era above onward and hasn't stopped even in this time and place...
. Pope Sergius III (? – 911)

The son of a Roman noble and a member of the ultimately unsuccessful faction which opposed the policies of Pope Formosus, Sergius III must chiefly be understood through the biased writings of his enemies, since almost all sympathetic accounts have been destroyed.
Nevertheless, what we do have on Sergius suggests that he didn’t quite measure up to Christian standards for piety. He was accused of ordering the murders of his predecessor Pope Leo V and Antipope Christopher in prison. It is said that his mistress was the young Marozia (later to become a powerful Roman noblewoman), and it was their son who became Pope John XI in 931.
It gets weirder, though. Pope Stephen VI’s infamous Cadaver Synod had been declared void by succeeding popes, but when Sergius came to power, he voiced his displeasure with Formosus by annulling all of his recently reinstated ordinations. There is even a report that Sergius had the corpse of Formosus exhumed, tried, beheaded, and thrown into the Tiber – all over again!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:18:05 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #150 on: April 30, 2010, 01:06:24 AM »

More....

Le Pape Formose et Étienne VII ("Pope Formosus and Stephen VII"), 1870. Note the latter is now called Pope Stephen VI.
Little is known about Pope Stephen VI’s personal life and background, although he was a Roman and the son of a priest named John. The reason his name stands out in church history is because of his involvement in what is perhaps the most bizarre ecclesiastical trial of all time – the Cadaver Synod of January 897.
As the name reveals, this grotesque synod was convened to put a corpse on trial. Stephen ordered it for the sole purpose of passing judgment on the freshly-exhumed body of Formosus, who had held the papacy from 891-96. Due to activities in Bulgaria which compromised his duties as bishop of Porto, Formosus had been excommunicated by then-pope John VIII (872-882), but after John VIII’s death he had reassumed his bishopric in Porto and was elected pope in 891.
Political interests regarding rightful claims to the throne of the Holy Roman Emperor resulted in animosities that created a trickle-down effect and impacted later popes. Stephen VI and the Cadaver Synod are the most famous instance of reactions to Pope Formosus.
While it is not perfectly clear who exactly instigated the trial, the fact of the matter is that Stephen ordered Formosus’s body to be disinterred and seated on a throne in the Basilica of St. John Lateran in Rome. A deacon stood next to it to act as its spokesman while Stephen lambasted it with accusations.
The corpse was condemned for transmigrating sees, committing perjury, and acting as bishop after being deposed. As punishment, his body was stripped of its vestments, the three fingers of the right hand used for benedictions were cut off, and all his former ordinations were declared null. The body was then buried, exhumed again, and finally thrown into the Tiber River.

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #151 on: April 30, 2010, 01:11:10 AM »

And some more...
. Pope Benedict IX (c. 1012 – 1065/85)

Benedict IX, born Theophylactus of Tusculum, is known mainly for two things: 1) he held office on three separate occasions, and 2) he is the only pope who ever sold the papacy (to his own godfather, of all people).
Benedict became pontiff at a very young age, thanks to the political prowess of his father, who had managed to get the papacy reserved ahead of time for his son. With little actual training or preparation that qualified him to act as pontiff, Benedict led a highly immoral life, and was accused of various rapes, adulteries, and murders. According to St. Peter Damian, Benedict was “a demon from hell in the disguise of a priest,” and his carousing eventually caused him to be forcefully expelled from Rome.
Benedict managed to regain his throne, but then – surprise, surprise! – he was sidetracked by a prospective marriage (to his cousin) and sold the papal chair for a significant amount of money to his godfather, a priest who named himself Pope Gregory VI. His later repentance and attempt to resume his position created quite a controversy, forcing the German King Henry III to intervene. Benedict was subsequently excommunicated from the church.
“His life as a pope,” wrote Pope Victor III, “was so vile, so foul, so execrable, that I shudder to think of it.”

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2010, 02:06:59 AM »

Stashko,

Could you please provide links for the above three posts?  Send them to me in a PM, and I'll make sure they get added to your posts.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:07:51 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2010, 02:34:21 AM »

Stashko,

Could you please provide links for the above three posts?  Send them to me in a PM, and I'll make sure they get added to your posts.

Thank you.

I had them and more for awhile in my wordpad documents on my computer...ill try to find the link to them though....and post it here or pm them to you...

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2010, 02:56:49 AM »

More....

Le Pape Formose et Étienne VII ("Pope Formosus and Stephen VII"), 1870. Note the latter is now called Pope Stephen VI.
Little is known about Pope Stephen VI’s personal life and background, although he was a Roman and the son of a priest named John. The reason his name stands out in church history is because of his involvement in what is perhaps the most bizarre ecclesiastical trial of all time – the Cadaver Synod of January 897.
As the name reveals, this grotesque synod was convened to put a corpse on trial. Stephen ordered it for the sole purpose of passing judgment on the freshly-exhumed body of Formosus, who had held the papacy from 891-96. Due to activities in Bulgaria which compromised his duties as bishop of Porto, Formosus had been excommunicated by then-pope John VIII (872-882), but after John VIII’s death he had reassumed his bishopric in Porto and was elected pope in 891.
Political interests regarding rightful claims to the throne of the Holy Roman Emperor resulted in animosities that created a trickle-down effect and impacted later popes. Stephen VI and the Cadaver Synod are the most famous instance of reactions to Pope Formosus.
While it is not perfectly clear who exactly instigated the trial, the fact of the matter is that Stephen ordered Formosus’s body to be disinterred and seated on a throne in the Basilica of St. John Lateran in Rome. A deacon stood next to it to act as its spokesman while Stephen lambasted it with accusations.
The corpse was condemned for transmigrating sees, committing perjury, and acting as bishop after being deposed. As punishment, his body was stripped of its vestments, the three fingers of the right hand used for benedictions were cut off, and all his former ordinations were declared null. The body was then buried, exhumed again, and finally thrown into the Tiber River.

This one was mentioned awhile back on this forum and also the picture
was posted....where i don't remember....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:57:56 AM by stashko » Logged

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #155 on: April 30, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »

Deleted post
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:20:40 AM by Mickey » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2010, 09:51:36 AM »

Donatism works just as well in Orthodoxy as it does in the west.

Mary

lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2010, 10:20:58 AM »

Since the thread is now dominated by Stashko shenanigans, I am retiring from it.
Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2010, 10:27:42 AM »

I had them and more for awhile in my wordpad documents on my computer

What is the purpose of your posts?  I do not know what you are trying to show?  Huh
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »

Since the thread is now dominated by Stashko shenanigans, I am retiring from it.

Remember the Beatitudes and don't ever run from that which may feel uncomfortable.

Catholics do not run... Smiley

Mary

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2010, 11:13:33 AM »

Moses, Elder of Optina

If you suffer with one who is suffering you will be reckoned among the martyrs.

If you forgive one who offends you, you will receive not only the forgiveness of your sins, but will become a child of your heavenly Father.

If you confess your sins before God, you will receive forgiveness and reward. If you pray for salvation with your heart -if only a little- you will be saved.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2010, 11:16:36 AM »

What is the purpose of your posts?  I do not know what you are trying to show?  Huh

Be careful.  Unless you back stashko up on everything he posts re: the RCC, he'll say that you're really not Orthodox and just a crypto-Catholic wolf in sheep's clothing who is trying to infiltrate the Orthodox Church and make it go under the evil Pope in evil Rome.  Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2010, 11:22:31 AM »

Be careful.  Unless you back stashko up on everything he posts re: the RCC, he'll say that you're really not Orthodox and just a crypto-Catholic wolf in sheep's clothing who is trying to infiltrate the Orthodox Church and make it go under the evil Pope in evil Rome.  Wink

Bit early in the day for getting fuddled by your zymurgist pursuit?!  laugh
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »

Bit early in the day for getting fuddled by your zymurgist pursuit?!  laugh

It's never too early for small beer, Father! Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2010, 12:56:05 PM »

Brother...
Would you call what's going in the catholic church around the world ,at this time  a Healthy organization or is it ill from the top down ....I would say it's sick ,the medicine for it is Holy Orthodoxy......

Mickey
OC.net guru

« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2010, 02:14:27 PM »

Brother...
Would you call what's going in the catholic church around the world ,at this time  a Healthy organization or is it ill from the top down ....I would say it's sick ,the medicine for it is Holy Orthodoxy......

We are all ill, my brother in Chirst. We are all sinners.  I am so grateful that I have found the fullness of truth in Holy Orthodoxy--there is no other place for me and my family--and I will defend the Church to my dying breath. But we cannot point fingers at other people else we resemble the pharisee instead of the publican.

Pray for the victims of abuse everywhere--that they will forgive their abusers and heal--and pray for those who victimize others--that they might repent and ask for God's mercy.

Christ is Risen!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:15:26 PM by Mickey » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2010, 03:26:14 PM »

Moses, Elder of Optina

If you suffer with one who is suffering you will be reckoned among the martyrs.

If you forgive one who offends you, you will receive not only the forgiveness of your sins, but will become a child of your heavenly Father.

If you confess your sins before God, you will receive forgiveness and reward. If you pray for salvation with your heart -if only a little- you will be saved.

What a beautiful thought. You have made my day.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2010, 02:43:38 AM »

Legionaries of Christ

The just released Vatican report (1 May 2010) on the abusive activies of the founder of the Legionaries of Christ

http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/1343156?eng=y
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »

Maybe a touch of humour to lighten the thread?

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2010, 08:25:51 PM »

Like it ..... Grin

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2010, 10:01:26 PM »

More Bad New's On this subject....  Shocked

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100511/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_brazil_church_abuse#mwpphu-container

Brazil: Church to prepare anti-abuse guidelines.......

By STAN LEHMAN, Associated Press Writer Stan Lehman, Associated Press Writer – Tue May 11, 4:41 pm ET
SAO PAULO – The National Conference of Brazilian Bishops said Tuesday it will prepare a manual with guidelines to help bishops combat cases of child abuse committed by clergymen in the world's largest Roman Catholic country.
The manual will be prepared by a special commission comprising bishops, priests and psychologists, and church officials will begin distributing it within a few months, a conference spokesman, the Rev. Geraldo Martins, told The Associated Press.
Martins would not comment on the likely contents of the manual, one of several ideas to emerge at the bishops' annual meeting in the Brazilian capital, Brasilia.
Bishop Sinesio Bohn of the southern city of Santa Cruz do Sul was quoted by the newspaper Estado de S. Paulo on Tuesday as saying the church must study ways to avoid ordaining pedophiles.
"We must adopt scientific methods, with the help of psychologists," Bohn said.
Bishop Pedro Luiz Stringhini, from the city of Franca in Sao Paulo state, told the newspaper that child abuse committed by clergymen must receive a three-pronged treatment: "forgiveness for the sin, punishment for the crime and treatment for the pathology."
Several cases of priests allegedly abusing children have surfaced in Brazil in recent months.
Late last month, prosecutors charged a Roman Catholic priest, Father Jose Afonso, with abusing altar boys ranging from ages 12 to 16. Prosecutors said the alleged abuses occurred this year, in 2009 and in 2001 in Franca.
Also last month, 83-year-old Monsignor Luiz Marques Barbosa was detained in northeastern Brazil for allegedly abusing at least three boys after being caught on videotape having sex with a young man, a former altar boy. Barbosa is under house arrest while authorities investigate. Two other priests in the same archdiocese are also accused of abuses.
Last week, a Brazilian archbishop said adolescents are "spontaneously homosexual" and in need of guidance.
The newspaper O Globo quoted Archbishop Dadeus Grings of Porto Alegre as saying: "Society today is pedophile. That is the problem. So, people easily fall into it. And the fact it is denounced is a good sign."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:11:47 PM by stashko » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »

And some more Bad New's...on this subject....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_on_re_eu/eu_church_abuse_spainhttp://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_on_re_eu/eu_church_abuse_spain

Spanish order investigated for alleged sex abuse
AP – Wed May 12, 12:01 pm ET

MADRID - A Spanish court is investigating allegations that members of a Catholic religious order sexually abused disabled residents of a facility run by the congregation, a diocese spokesman said Wednesday. Full Story »

By CIARAN GILES, Associated Press Writer Ciaran Giles, Associated Press Writer – Wed May 12, 12:01 pm ET
MADRID – A Spanish court is investigating allegations that members of a Catholic religious order sexually abused disabled residents of a facility run by the congregation, a diocese spokesman said Wednesday.
Jose Juan Jimenez, spokesman for the diocese of Cordoba in southern Spain, said the diocese has been cooperating fully with the investigation since being informed of it a month ago by court officials.
Jimenez told the AP that the case involved possible sexual abuse and mistreatment of patients at a home for the disabled run by the Franciscan Brothers of the White Cross in Cordoba.
The newspaper El Pais said two members of the order were brought before a Cordoba court Wednesday and named as suspects. The paper said they were ordered to stay away from the center.
Jimenez said he had no details as to what had happened at the court, and calls to the court and the religious order went unanswered.
The Cordoba Diocese issued a statement saying that, since hearing of the allegations, it has acted "with the welfare of the victims always in mind and taking the necessary measures to clarify responsibility, should there be any."
El Pais and other media outlets said that, in a separate case, a lay worker at the home has been imprisoned for several months on charges of sexually abusing a patient, while the religious order paid the victim's family euro5,000 ($6,343) in compensation.
Spain has been largely spared in the church sex abuse scandal that has rocked other European countries such as Germany and Ireland, but this would be this month's second abuse case involving a religious order in Spain.
On May 4, the Barefoot Carmelites order said it had reported to prosecutors allegations that one of its monks abused a minor some years ago in the eastern town of Burriana.
Spanish media said it was the first time a Catholic Church group in Spain has acted on an appeal that Pope Benedict XVI issued in March for church officials to report abuse cases to authorities. The Spanish Bishops Conference declined to comment on the case.

Cosmos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

أيها الرب يسوع المسيح ابن الله, إرحمني أنا الخاطئ

« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2010, 12:39:39 AM »

Brothers and Sisters in Christ:

Please forgive me if I am speaking out of turn here, but it seems obvious to me that these deplorable abuses are but a reflection of the kind of ungodliness that was predicted long ago to become increasingly manifest as the time of Christ's Second Coming drew near. As such, perhaps these events are clear signs that it is much later than we think, and that the necessity for each of us to put our own spiritual state in righteous order is more urgent than we may like to think.  

More than 2 billion people worldwide confess themselves to be Christian, accounting for a full third of the overall human population on the planet. This is more than twice the number of those who claim to be Muslims, or Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist collectively, who are nearly tied in second and third place respectively. Approximately half of the world's Christians are...wait for it...yep, you probably guessed it...Roman Catholic!   

Should it be any great surprise then that Satan would again target those who represent the visible institutions of his greatest nemesis, Christianity, especially those associated with the world's largest Christian confession, the Roman Catholic Church? Go figure! Who would have expected such a thing, right?  

This is certainly not to say that the despicable actions that have been committed by some Roman Catholic clergymen, or the efforts of others within their church to conceal their crimes or to allow them to perpetuate same should be excused. I am not suggesting that the offending parties shouldn't be held to account for their sinful actions. But at the same time, however, I don't think this should be done by gang piling on the RCC at the expense of the many, many millions of decent, God fearing Roman Catholics, both laity and clergy, who bear no responsibility for the wrongful actions of a relatively few among them.  

As Christians, we are officially in the prayer and forgiveness business, as it were, and should thus earnestly pray for the spiritual healing of the innocent victims and their perpetrators alike. Out of compassion for our troubled and suffering brethren, we should implore Almighty God to mercifully bless both with an abundant share of His healing grace and restorative spiritual power, in the name of Jesus, for the sake of His Glory unto the ages of ages.

Perhaps in this way, the sinister temptations and evil machinations of Satan will ultimately be fully exposed and destroyed as a part of the final victory of good over evil that will culminate in Christ's triumphant return. I exhort everyone to join me in praying for this outcome in behalf of the greatest good of all.  

Cosmos

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:43:58 AM by Cosmos » Logged

Κύριε Ἰησοῦ Χριστέ, ἐλέησόν με!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2010, 05:50:38 PM »

Stashko,

Thank you.

I had them and more for awhile in my wordpad documents on my computer...ill try to find the link to them though....and post it here or pm them to you...

Stashko, it's been over two weeks since I made this request for sources.  Since you posted images and blocks of text from another Web site, and since the absence of any links giving credit to your sources makes you potentially liable for plagiarism, it is very important that you not forget my request.  You need to send to one of the moderators links to the Web pages from which you copied this material.  (See these posts:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26437.msg429327.html#msg429327, http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26437.msg429328.html#msg429328, http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,26437.msg429329.html#msg429329 )  Failure to do so within the next 72 hours will result in you being placed on Post Moderation for plagiarism.  This is not a game.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2010, 05:22:10 AM »

Link....Many Thanks !To Our Saintly Fr.Ambrose aka Irish Hermit ,For Finding the link  For me .It's been awhile visiting that web page.... Though the deeds are burned in my memory How Awful the western Appostolic succesors could be....http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-worst-popes-in-history.php
Might as well post the rest of them.....there in my wordpad documents....Watch this thread...

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2010, 09:41:08 AM »

Link....Many Thanks !To Our Saintly Fr.Ambrose aka Irish Hermit ,For Finding the link  For me .It's been awhile visiting that web page.... Though the deeds are burned in my memory How Awful the western Appostolic succesors could be....http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-worst-popes-in-history.php
Might as well post the rest of them.....there in my wordpad documents....Watch this thread...

You should start new thread.

But while you are having fun remember that Orthodoxy does accept the Apostolic Succession from the west, so watch those fingers pointing back at you.

And remember that only in your perfection will people who think like you ever find humility.

M.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2010, 10:02:31 AM »

But while you are having fun remember that Orthodoxy does accept the Apostolic Succession from the west,

Yes, it does, for Roman Catholics and Anglicans.  But that statement has to be nuanced considerably.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2010, 10:40:38 AM »

But while you are having fun remember that Orthodoxy does accept the Apostolic Succession from the west,

Yes, it does, for Roman Catholics and Anglicans.  But that statement has to be nuanced considerably.

I didn't know you brought Anglican clergy in by vesting and confession...That is very interesting but then you are glued at the hip to the WCC.  Glad we stayed far away from all that.  Tongue

M.

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »

Might as well post the rest of them.....
Please don't.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »

I didn't know you brought Anglican clergy in by vesting and confession...

Generally we don't although it was trialed, briefly and very unsuccessfully by the Greek Archdiocese of Australia at the time of the Anglican ordination of women.  So Anglicans are really always ordained, whereas Catholics may be received in their rank by economy which valourises their Catholic Orders or they may be received by baptism in which case they are devoid of priesthood.  The whole matter of reception in Orthodoxy is very fluid, and based on what is best for the individual converting and for the Church.

One of the wonderful things about Orthodoxy is that it is content to allow some things to remain in gray areas rather than nailing them down in black and white.   These gray areas allow room for the Holy Spirit to work freely within the Church, so that bishops may make decisions under His guidance (sometimes seemingly contrary decisions) so that in all things Christ may be glorified and salvation extended to the world.

Here is something from Metropolitan Anthony Khrapovitsky, one of Russia's eminent theologians prior to the Revolution, Metropolitan of Kiev, and later, the First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.

"Why Anglican Clergy Could Be Received in Their Orders"
 http://anglicanhistory.org/orthodoxy/khrapovitsky_orders1927.html

The conclusion:

"Thus the adoption of one or the other mode of reception for those of
 other confessions who enter the Church (that is, heretics or
 schismatics) depends on ecclesiastical economy, on the judgment of the
 local bishops and the Councils, and on the existence of the outward
 form of the sacraments of baptism, chrismation and orders in the
 communities from which the applicants come."

"Therefore, in our opinion, Anglicans may be admitted by the third
 rite, especially in view of the sincere and humble aspiration of many
 of them to be united to our holy Church."