OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 12:15:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin's Creed II (spoilers): any opinions?  (Read 909 times) Average Rating: 0
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« on: March 12, 2010, 12:32:02 PM »

I'll be irresponsible here by starting this thread and not writing about the topic for now while not in the best mood to do so, but I would like to throw it out to anyone who would like to comment.  Has anyone else just have this to say concerning the final revelation and the plot: *GROAN*!!!  (Did they learn nothing from the fatal mishap that was the last Indiana Jones film?!)  Rant away on my behalf.

As for the excessively preachy tone particularly in the codices, you can just tell that Ubisoft Montreal was intent on injecting some of that Revolution Tranquille fever, courtesy of Quebecois malcontents.

Well, at least the mistranslated, horribly pronounced Arabic motto of the Assassins afforded me a chuckle.

*sigh*  So sad to see games with so much potential shipwreck themselves.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:32:58 PM by SamB » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »

Yeah, I should have known that in a post-Dan Brown world, the Pope will henceforth be the centre of every conspiracy ever. This series has some great potential, and through repetitive gameplay (the first one) and bad writing (both games) what could be a masterpiece is only so-so. I must say that ACII was much more fun to play than ACI, but only just so.

After buying ACI and being sorely disappointed (I sold it within a couple of weeks), I made this one a rental. Good choice.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:55:21 PM »

Everything you need to know about this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QBe43tyVM

The game is very badly written and the incoherent "philosophy" is a sad emblem of intellectual laziness, but... it's really fun. I'd say the major flaw in the new game is the lack of replayability- if you want to replay old missions, you have to start from the beginning again.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 12:00:12 PM »

And to add to that lack of replayability, the savegame file is stored in the Ubisoft servers and not in the hard drive, and most bizarre of all, the P.C. version of the game requires a constantly open Internet connexion to play, meaning you own this game only for as long as Ubisoft decides to keep its servers up and running for it.  By the way, your video is like the game itself: the concept has winning potential but is ultimately disappointing--could he not have tried to free-run and knock people over? <grin>

Ytterbiumanalyst, the tedious idea of a pope behind a conspiracy is one thing, and then there's that of suddenly turning a quasi-religious plot set in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance involving secret societies and more fitting in with the supernatural if with anything fantastic into a Raelian nutter's wet dream distorting the entire scope and context of the two games and morphing these into things concerning extra terrestrials and man's ultimate origins--this is Zak McKracken on speed.  I do enjoy the theme ('70s fad?) of lost advanced civilisations of prehistory from distant eras lost from Man's memory, but it belongs elsewhere and certainly without the pollution of sci-fi or aliens.

What you both said, re: writing, intellectual laziness, and incoherent philosophy.  Incidentally, an historical organised band of dedicated Nizaari Isma`ilis being a brotherhood of nihilists who recognise that nothing is true? Even in fiction, that's tenuous.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:08:09 PM by SamB » Logged
GTAsoldier
Elder

Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »

I don't understand all the hate for Assassin's Creed. I love the series (I rented the 1st one and I own the 2nd one). I have yet to finish Brotherhood and play Revelations. I love AC for the gameplay and setting. Sure AC1 was repetitive in most areas, but the series really shone for me when AC2 and Brotherhood came out on almost every area.

I don't mind all the religious themes used for the series, but the game story in it's pure form is fiction. And I can handle that. IMO, I think the story got better for me when AC2 was released. And the downloadable content (DLC) added to the game's replay value.

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
MyMapleStory

Faith: Approaching Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Will probably be Greek

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:59:50 PM »

I enjoyed the first one, no idea about the second one, but it seem to me there was no conservative Christian members who made this game.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »

The story is absurd and displays deep historic and philosophical ignorance. Plain old history is much more interesting than the simplistic conspiracy narrative. The dialogue is flat-footed and cliched- there's not a single interesting or surprising turn of phrase. It's obvious the writers watch a lot more movies/ TV than they read books. I'd say the half-ass attempt at philosophy would be laughable even for college freshmen if I didn't know that many college freshmen think it's brilliant.

But yes, the games are fun.

GTAsoldier
Elder

Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »

^ That ain't gonna convince me (or any other AC fan) to not like AC anymore. Just sayin'.

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »

^ That ain't gonna convince me (or any other AC fan) to not like AC anymore. Just sayin'.

Since that wasn't my or anyone's objective here, I don't see your point.

Tags: Assassin's Creed 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: