OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 07:10:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Rastafarians ARE Orthodox Christians  (Read 9945 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »

Do the Rastafarians that are Orthodox usually give up marijuana?  (Sorry if that is a silly or offensive question.  I don't know much about Rastafarians or marijuana.  About 15 years ago I thought I talked to an evil spirit while I was under the influence of marijuana and other drugs that I can't remember.  It scared me after I sobered-up, because it seemed like I came close to worshiping or praying to it.  So that is the reason for my curiosity.)
Maybe the "other drugs" were responsible for your bad experience, and not the ganja?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »

Do the Rastafarians that are Orthodox usually give up marijuana?  (Sorry if that is a silly or offensive question.  I don't know much about Rastafarians or marijuana.  About 15 years ago I thought I talked to an evil spirit while I was under the influence of marijuana and other drugs that I can't remember.  It scared me after I sobered-up, because it seemed like I came close to worshiping or praying to it.  So that is the reason for my curiosity.)

It depends on the individual. The Church has always frowned upon the usage of Marijuana, but has wisely not made this issue a deal breaker in evangelizing Rastas. In Jamaica, some Rastas will smoke Ganja outside of the Church gates, but never within the Church property. Rastas who have entered into the Tewahedo Faith respect the Church and her Teachings, and do not elevate their individual customs above the Teachings and Traditions of the Church. In areas where the usage of Ganja is legal, a Priest may perhaps "allow" it, but I doubt if any Priest would give their blessing to the use of Ganja. From what I know, most Rastas who have converted to the Tewahedo Faith and continue to use Ganja do not ask their Priest about it, for they know that they will most likely be encouraged to stop.  

For the record, I do not use marijuana, altghough I support its legalization. However, whether legal or illegal, I would encourage all people to follow the Teachings of the Church and the counsel of their Priests when considering its usage.

Selam
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 03:09:12 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 04:58:50 PM »

The question of ganja is thorny. The archbishop maintains that it is the main reason his church is seen as a Rasta church and attracts few non-Rastafarians adherents from the Caribbean. He claims that most people cling to old-time fears of Rastas which are somehow symbolized by the ganja smoking. "There are so many people here in New York," he laments. "They want to come into our church. But they see them (Rastas) around the church, in the area, smoking. So it's embarrassing and they don't want to come." A Church Sister, Terseta, agrees that the fear has history. "Lots of people don't come here (to the New York church, in the Bronx)," she says, "because they scared of Rasta. Like they do in the island, too." It comes, she avers, from "the beginning" when Rastas essentially devolved out of the Maroons. "The Maroons was the original Rasta people", and folks, black and white, were afraid of them.

The Archbishop is firm about expelling those Rastas who, by their unabated and flagrant ganja smoking, disturb and intimidate "those people who are trying to work for their own salvation." Since ganja is illegal, he cannot condone its use. "As long as it is illegal, we do not, we can not agree." he explains. "But we are not in control of what people do in their own houses.
Source: http://dubroom.org/articles/0002.htm
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »

Hmmmm...how did Orthodox clergy deal with prohibition and parishoners who ignored that law?

What about the canons on curling  hair? 

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »

It is absolutely false to say the Orthodox Church has always frowned on the usage of mariuijna.  One of the great Russian Saints of the 18th century was an expert cultivator of it...and frequently ran naked in the woods....But some Saints do odd things  .... l dont mean to imply encouragement or disvouragement for its usage.   I believe God gives everyone the right of self medication within the power and will of their conscience... Know thyself...and seek wisdom...a fool with his heart are soon departed.

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »

That's fine, but I choose to get dressed before I go to the park.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »

have not seen it or read the thread yet..........BUT. . . . . . . Does this mean its ok to smoke weed now Grin
ya, mon
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »

It is absolutely false to say the Orthodox Church has always frowned on the usage of mariuijna.  One of the great Russian Saints of the 18th century was an expert cultivator of it...and frequently ran naked in the woods...

Could you elaborate?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »

It is absolutely false to say the Orthodox Church has always frowned on the usage of mariuijna.  One of the great Russian Saints of the 18th century was an expert cultivator of it...and frequently ran naked in the woods...

Could you elaborate?

Yeah, I'm curious too... seems very unlikely...
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »

You can grow pot in Russia?

Oh man, "In Mother Russia" jokes are on the way....

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2012, 02:11:48 AM »

PP

Russian pot is a little different. Instead of giving you a high, it causes you extreme suffering, which is more spiritually pleasurable.

It's also horseradish.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:19:28 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2012, 06:57:41 AM »

PP

Russian pot is a little different. Instead of giving you a high, it causes you extreme suffering, which is more spiritually pleasurable.

It's also horseradish.
laugh laugh laugh laugh

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2012, 03:00:44 AM »

Why is this thread tagged as "false ecumenism"?

If you get down and you quarrel every day,
You're saying prayers to the devils, I say.
Why not help one another on the way?
Make it much easier.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:00:51 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2012, 03:19:48 AM »

Why is this thread tagged as "false ecumenism"?

If you get down and you quarrel every day,
You're saying prayers to the devils, I say.
Why not help one another on the way?
Make it much easier.

Positive vibration!  Wink

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Tags: rastafari Rasta Rastafarian Rastafarianism 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: