OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:35:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Rastafarians ARE Orthodox Christians  (Read 10237 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: March 11, 2010, 03:30:34 AM »

Here is a wonderful video interview with a Rastafarian who clearly articulates his Orthodox Christian Faith.

Enjoy. Smiley

http://www.fulfilledrastafari.org/video/ras-winston-in-shashamane

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Jake C
Catechumen

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »

Beautiful! I really enjoyed that!  Smiley

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
zoarthegleaner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »

From  http://www.fulfilledrastafari.org/video/ras-winston-in-shashamane

"Who is Yashua the Christ? He was of AFRICAN decent"

"Jah Faith...Judaism in Africa-Africans the First "Jews" and the First "Christians" directly evolving out of the Judaism Moses brought.
This does not state that Christianity was built by colonizers,...the truth is that Africans became Christian long before Christianity developed."

Thirdly, "Who is Yashua the Christ? He Was 100% Jah
Who is Christ, and how was it possible that Christ’s human body held the whole deity and glory of Jah?"

Fourthly, is the nature of Christ a minor difference as abuna Yesehag states in interview 1?

Other than saying they are Orthodox Christian, I didn't find anything on the web-site affirming Orthodox Christianity.

Courteous is my name,
and I have always aimed to live up to it.
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
its Courteous whom I blame;
but its Grace who sees me through it.
Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 05:24:25 PM »

Other than saying they are Orthodox Christian, I didn't find anything on the web-site affirming Orthodox Christianity.

This "Fulfilled Rastafari" thing is not only non-Orthodox. It is anti-Orthodox. Its founder's words:
I was also asked if INI are Orthodox Christians, or traditional Christians, and I replied that INI are not. Christianity implies RELIGION. INI are NOT dealing with Religion at all. INI deal with Relationship of INI with Christ and Father Jehovah, through the Holy Spirit.
Source: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=142609049&blogId=450988811
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:47:45 PM »

The point is that SOME Rastafarians ARE devout Orthodox Christians, such as the Rasta interviewed in this video. Do not condemn him as not being Orthodox simply because he may not be an expert in Orthodox theology. He clearly states that he does not worship Haile Selassie, and that he worships Jesus Christ through the Faith of the EOTC.

As for the Fulfilled Rastafari website... no, it is not an Orthodox website. But if you will notice, there is an entire section on that website devoted to the teachings of the EOTC. And, there are many members on there who are Orthodox Christians. 3 of us are members of this forum: Mama Dorothy, AmdeBirhan, and myself.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »

The point is that SOME Rastafarians ARE devout Orthodox Christians, such as the Rasta interviewed in this video. Do not condemn him as not being Orthodox simply because he may not be an expert in Orthodox theology. He clearly states that he does not worship Haile Selassie, and that he worships Jesus Christ through the Faith of the EOTC.

What exactly is a Rastafarian than?

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »

It depends on who you ask. Rastafari is less a religion than a way of life. It's a way of life that promotes peace, social justice, the sanctity of Life, natural "livity" (i.e. natural diet and lifestyle), the brotherhood of man, the reading of the Holy Bible, the teachings of Haile Selassie, and the worship of God. This is why it is possible for one to be both a Rasta and an Orthodox Christian. But if Rastafari is defined as the worship of Haile Selassie, then this is most definitely NOT compatible with Orthodoxy.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:24:26 PM »

You can't be an Orthodox Christian unless you are within the Orthodox church. Is he?
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:19:12 PM »

A person who believes that Emperor Haile Selassie I is God or a god (i.e., a saint).
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »

It's a bit more complicated than that.  You may want to click on some of the tags below and do some reading.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 10:26:41 PM »

Here's one useful thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,23956.0.html

Michał
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »

It's a bit more complicated than that.

Haile Selassie as God or a god is the key concept for Rastafarians, just like Holy Trinity is for Christians.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 10:45:26 PM »

Haile Selassie as God or a god is the key concept for Rastafarians, just like Holy Trinity is for Christians.

Not all Rastafarians worship Haile Selassie as God. That said, I know a few Rastafarians who were baptised Ethiopian Orthodox despite seeing the Emperor as God.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:11 PM »

Not all Rastafarians worship Haile Selassie as God.

That's precisely what I wrote.

That said, I know a few Rastafarians who were baptised Ethiopian Orthodox despite seeing the Emperor as God.

Unfortunately, there are many such Rastafarians.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:57:11 PM »

From what I've seen of the Rastafarian movement, it's hard to generalize too much. Generally there is a heavy dose of Afro-centrism, anti-colonialism (with a lot of apocalyptic theories), and very... creative readings of scripture. It seems that the man in the interview was led to Ethiopia on the basis of Rastafari but discovered the Ethiopian church while he was there... I can imagine that it's not easy for him to unlearn all the stuff that led him to where he is.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 10:59:55 PM »

Not all Rastafarians worship Haile Selassie as God.

That's precisely what I wrote.

That said, I know a few Rastafarians who were baptised Ethiopian Orthodox despite seeing the Emperor as God.

Unfortunately, there are many such Rastafarians.

You said it was a key concept. It is not a key concept for many of them. Hence my correction.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 11:20:24 PM »

You said it was a key concept. It is not a key concept for many of them. Hence my correction.

What I wanted to get across was the fact that Rastafarians either worship Haile Selassie as God, or venerate him as a god (i.e. a saint). So the key concept for all of them is Haile Selassie's relation to the Divine Nature. Most of them would say that he has the Divine Nature (i.e., he is God), while others would say that he is a partaker of the Divine Nature (i.e., he is a god).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:25:54 PM by Michał » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 11:35:52 PM »

or venerate him as a god (i.e. a saint).

I'm struck by the language you are using here.  Do you typically refer to the veneration of saints as "the veneration of gods?"  Would you, for example, usually refer to the veneration of St. Nicholas in your Church as "the veneration of a god?"

Michał
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 11:49:47 PM »

I'm struck by the language you are using here.

I used this particular expression (which btw, is both biblical and patristic) on purpose - to indicate that even when Rastafarians consider Haile Selassie to be what we would call 'a saint', they are more probable to talk not about his sainthood but about his small "d" divinity.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 11:52:18 PM »

I'd like to hear about that from a person who has had actual first hand experience with the movement.   Smiley

Michał
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07:57 AM »

'Cause I might have made that stuff up... Roll Eyes
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 12:47:06 AM »

'Cause you've never been a Rasta.      Smiley

Unless, of course, there's something we don't know about you.

Michał
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 01:02:10 AM »

'Cause you've never been a Rasta.      Smiley

I was very much fascinated by the movement at one point of my life. But besides - I don't think that to learn something about a given group, one necessarily has to become its member. Anyway, I will provide a piece of evidence to confirm what I've been stating above (though not now - have to go to bed).
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 01:51:27 AM »

You can't be an Orthodox Christian unless you are within the Orthodox church. Is he?

Yes. He explains his conversion in the video. He was raised Protestant, embraced Rastafari (but never worshipped Haile Selassie), and was baptized into the EOTC.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 02:12:08 AM »

I'd like to hear about that from a person who has had actual first hand experience with the movement.   Smiley

Well, I was/am a Rastafarian, but I never worshipped Haile Selassie. Dr. Vernon Carrington (Prophet Gad) was the first Rasta to explain that Haile Selassie was not God, and that true Rastas who follow His Majesty's teachings must worship the God that Haile Selassie worshipped- Jesus Christ. Dr. Carrington founded the "12 Tribes Rastafari" mansion, which is now the largest body of Rastafarians in the world (Rastas often quote Our Lord's words, "In My Father's house there are many mansions.") 12 Tribes Rastas worship Jesus Christ, although many view Haile Selassie as an icon of Christ.

So, it is not true that ALL Rastas worship Haile Selassie. But those who do worship Haile Selassie (most notably the Rastas of the Nyahbinghi mansion) are very adamant about their belief and often intolerant of those who dare to question it. Believe me, I have had many discussions/debates/reasonings with Rastas of this persuasion. They tell me I cannot be Rasta if I do not worship His Majesty. I ask them how they can call themselves Rasta when they practice a religion different than that of Haile Selassie. These discussions usually don't progress much further than this.

OK, hope that helps clarify it a little bit.

Some of you may be wondering if I still consider myself a Rasta? It's a delicate question. Rastafari led me to Christ, and to the Orthodox Faith. So, how can I ever reject Rastafari? Yet, after I was baptized, my Priest told me that I didn't need to call myself a Rasta anymore. It was interesting that he said I didn't need to do so, not that I must not do so. Anyway, I identify myself first and foremost as an Orthodox Christian. But I do not hesitate to identify myself as a Rastaman when I am around other Rastas. But I am clear in expressing my Orthodox Faith, and one of my missionary endeavors is to see more Rastas repent from the idolatry of Selassie worship and come to Our Lord through the Orthodox Church.

Pray for me, and for our Rastafarian brothers and sister.

Selam
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:28:49 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Selam, +GMK+
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 02:23:40 AM »

I'd like to hear about that from a person who has had actual first hand experience with the movement.   Smiley

Well, I was/am a Rastafarian, but I never worshipped Haile Selassie. Dr. Vernon Carrington (Prophet Gad) was the first Rasta to explain that Haile Selassie was not God, and that true Rastas who follow His Majesty's teachings must worship the God that Haile Selassie worshipped- Jesus Christ. Dr. Carrington founded the "12 Tribes Rastafari" mansion, which is now the largest body of Rastafarians in the word (Rastas often quote Our Lord's words, "In My Father's house there are many mansions.") 12 Tribes Rastas worship Jesus Christ, although many view Haile Selassie as an icon of Christ.

So, it is not true that ALL Rastas worship Haile Selassie. But those who do worship Haile Selassie (most notably the Rastas of the Nyahbinghi mansion) are very adamant about their belief and often intolerant of those who dare to question it. Believe me, I have had many discussions/debates/reasonings with Rastas of this persuasion. They tell me I cannot be Rasta if I do not worship His Majesty. I ask them how they can call themselves Rasta when they practice a religion different than that of Haile Selassie. These discussions usually don't progress much further than this.

Some of you may be wondering if I still consider myself a Rasta? It's a delicate question. Rastafari led me to Christ, and to the Orthodox Faith. So, how can I ever reject Rastafari? Yet, after I was baptized, my Priest told me that I didn't need to call myself a Rasta anymore. It was interesting that he said I didn't need to do so, not that I must not do so. Anyway, I identify myself first and foremost as an Orthodox Christian. But I do not hesitate to identify myself as a Rastaman when I am around other Rastas. But I am clear in expressing my Orthodox Faith, and one of my missionary endeavors is to see more Rastas repent from the idolatry of Selassie worship and come to Our Lord through the Orthodox Church.

Selam

It was very hard for me, to be part of a movement where there such disagreement on core beliefs, even with brethren that were at my side. So I left. And here I am. Cheesy

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 02:27:37 AM »

Well, I was/am a Rastafarian, but I never worshipped Haile Selassie. Dr. Vernon Carrington (Prophet Gad) was the first Rasta to explain that Haile Selassie was not God, and that true Rastas who follow His Majesty's teachings must worship the God that Haile Selassie worshipped- Jesus Christ. Dr. Carrington founded the "12 Tribes Rastafari" mansion, which is now the largest body of Rastafarians in the word (Rastas often quote Our Lord's words, "In My Father's house there are many mansions.") 12 Tribes Rastas worship Jesus Christ, although many view Haile Selassie as an icon of Christ.

Selam

It was very hard for me, to be part of a movement where there such disagreement on core beliefs, even with brethren that were at my side. So I left. And here I am. Cheesy

Where you now find the harmony of complete agreement. Grin Wink

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 07:05:35 AM »

Selam

Selam
This place (OCnet) is not the Church. There is only One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church in which there is harmony of complete agreement ("one mind"). Just because there are places where attempts are made to pretend there is harmony of agreement which result in dogmatic conflict does not mean that there is no place where harmony of agreement exists. It exists in the One Church of Christ, and only in the One Church of Christ.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:10:38 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 07:25:58 AM »

Selam

Selam
This place (OCnet) is not the Church. There is only One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church in which there is harmony of complete agreement ("one mind"). Just because there are places where attempts are made to pretend there is harmony of agreement which result in dogmatic conflict does not mean that there is no place where harmony of agreement exists. It exists in the One Church of Christ, and only in the One Church of Christ.

Ozgeorge, you do realize I was joking don't you?

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 07:30:53 AM »

Selam

Selam

Selam
Yes, I do realise you were joking, but it seems to me that the term "Orthodox Christian" is coming to mean anything, everything and nothing, hence the seriousness of my reply.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »

Selam

Selam

Selam
Yes, I do realise you were joking, but it seems to me that the term "Orthodox Christian" is coming to mean anything, everything and nothing, hence the seriousness of my reply.

I guess my attempt at humor wasn't specific enough. I was referring to this forum, not Orthodoxy. I agree with your comments about the harmony of agreement of the Orthodox Church.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »

Not all Rastafarians worship Haile Selassie as God. That said, I know a few Rastafarians who were baptised Ethiopian Orthodox despite seeing the Emperor as God.

Not all Christians worship Jesus Christ as God.

john

Courteous is my name,
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 01:49:53 PM »

john

Belief in the Trinity is a condition to be called a "Christian".
zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »

john

Belief in the Trinity is a condition to be called a "Christian".

Didn't mean to change the subject, but no, at least not since I was born.   To be called a Christian one simply identifies himself as such.   And generally, anyone wearing a Cross around their neck is identifiable as Christian.   

john

Courteous is my name,
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 02:09:54 PM »

So I'll be more specified: belief in the Trinity is a condition to be called a "Christian" by other Christians.
zoarthegleaner
Elder

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »

So I'll be more specified: belief in the Trinity is a condition to be called a "Christian" by other Christians.

So, then why do so many "Christians" identify Sir Isaac Newton as a Christian?

john

Courteous is my name,
Grace is also my name,
but when things go wrong
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 02:38:57 PM »

So, then why do so many "Christians" identify Sir Isaac Newton as a Christian?

Probably the same reason they gloss the U.S. Founding Fathers as Christian- in a desperate attempt to bolster their polemics on some contemporary issue.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 03:02:59 PM »

. . .Anyway, I will provide a piece of evidence to confirm what I've been stating above. . .

So, here we go:
We as Rastafarians of the Twelve Tribes of Israel will never relinquish the Divinity of His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie1. By this we mean that according to the anointing he has received, according to the Royal tradition, (1Samuel16vs12-13) the Spirit of The Most High rests upon him and His Words are in his mouth and speaks by his tongue. (2ndSamuel 23vs2-3) We accept His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie1 to be the 225th restorer of the Solomonic Dynasty. Therefore according to the Messianic Anointing he has received, His Imperial Majesty represents the Father and His Christ. We therefore hold that The Eternal Word, Manifested in Our Lord (Master) Jesus the Christ (Anointed) has been revealed to us the Rastafarian brethren and sisters of the twelve tribes of Israel through the personality of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie1.
Source: http://www.rastaites.com/news/hearticals/twelvetribes.htm

The word used in the first sentence is 'Divinity' with a capital 'D' but the rest of the passage shows that what is really meant (as far as theological implications are concerned) is 'divinity' with a small 'd'. That proves my point from reply #18.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:04:03 PM by Michał » Logged
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »

^^I would agree that the term Christian is one who believes in the Trinity.  However, dictionary definitions do more broadly include anyone who claims to be a follower of Jesus Christ.   As for why Isaac Newton is considered a Christian by some, generally it is by those seeking to demonstrate that Christianity and science are not incompatible ("look, Isaac Newton was a Christian and a scientist").   
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 11:19:59 PM »

Thank you for this thread.   After the Bob Marley funeral, many questions have arisen on this matter.  It is good to have some clarity.  If more posting means more clarity, keep posting!
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2010, 01:23:42 AM »

^^I would agree that the term Christian is one who believes in the Trinity.  However, dictionary definitions do more broadly include anyone who claims to be a follower of Jesus Christ.   As for why Isaac Newton is considered a Christian by some, generally it is by those seeking to demonstrate that Christianity and science are not incompatible ("look, Isaac Newton was a Christian and a scientist").   

I haven't been following this thread but I just saw this post and it touched on something I've been thinking about...

I wonder how useful of a term "Christian" is now.  There just seems to be a lot of grey around it.  When I was a Protestant (though I haven't been received into the Orthodox Church even yet), I accepted the definition of "someone who believes in the Trinity is a Christian."  But now I just don't know if I really care whether or not Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses or anybody else wants to call themselves Christians.  As I move closer to Orthodoxy, I see the important thing not being "Christian" vs. "Non-Christian" but "Orthodox Christian" being "Non-Orthodox".  I view anything outside of Orthodoxy now as just shades of grey. 
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2010, 02:49:45 AM »

I haven't been following this thread but I just saw this post and it touched on something I've been thinking about...

I wonder how useful of a term "Christian" is now.  There just seems to be a lot of grey around it.  When I was a Protestant (though I haven't been received into the Orthodox Church even yet), I accepted the definition of "someone who believes in the Trinity is a Christian."  But now I just don't know if I really care whether or not Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses or anybody else wants to call themselves Christians.  As I move closer to Orthodoxy, I see the important thing not being "Christian" vs. "Non-Christian" but "Orthodox Christian" being "Non-Orthodox".  I view anything outside of Orthodoxy now as just shades of grey. 

Good point. I agree with you.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2010, 03:52:35 AM »

Well, I was/am a Rastafarian, but I never worshipped Haile Selassie. Dr. Vernon Carrington (Prophet Gad) was the first Rasta to explain that Haile Selassie was not God, and that true Rastas who follow His Majesty's teachings must worship the God that Haile Selassie worshipped- Jesus Christ. Dr. Carrington founded the "12 Tribes Rastafari" mansion, which is now the largest body of Rastafarians in the world (Rastas often quote Our Lord's words, "In My Father's house there are many mansions.") 12 Tribes Rastas worship Jesus Christ, although many view Haile Selassie as an icon of Christ.

Selam
Gebre, a Ras is an African Noble.  Are you an African Noble?  Why identify as Rastaman if you are not an African noble?  Why are you a non-african calling africans to repent of idolotry?  How is this different from the justification of Mussolini's war on Africans?

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2010, 04:02:02 AM »

Why is this thread tagged as "false ecumenism"?

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Bob L.

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »

Do the Rastafarians that are Orthodox usually give up marijuana?  (Sorry if that is a silly or offensive question.  I don't know much about Rastafarians or marijuana.  About 15 years ago I thought I talked to an evil spirit while I was under the influence of marijuana and other drugs that I can't remember.  It scared me after I sobered-up, because it seemed like I came close to worshiping or praying to it.  So that is the reason for my curiosity.)
Tags: rastafari Rasta Rastafarian Rastafarianism 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: