OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 04:36:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resource for Learning Slavonic Tones  (Read 1659 times) Average Rating: 0
jeremiah

Faith: Orthodox catechumen
Jurisdiction: OCA Synod of the Midwest

« on: March 10, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this site ... the answer(s) to my question probably are posted several times below, but since I won't really have time to explore this page (and site!) for a few days yet, I'm hoping someone can give me some shortcuts ...

QUESTION: as a catechumen (and with my priest's blessing, also a choir member) I am struggling to learn the 8 tones.  Can anyone suggest an online site where I can *listen* to the 8 basic tones (Slavonic, but as sung in the OCA) ... even download them to MP3, cell phone, etc.?  If it matters, I sing baritone.

Again, I realize answers to this question may be posted here too ... so even a shortcut to the exact post would help.  Meanwhile, I'll surf the net as I can, and eventually find time to explore this site.  Thanks!

grace and peace,
jeremiah (p.s., Protestant clergy considering conversion, hence the catechumenate and related choir work)
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »

Welcome to the forum! The best way to learn would be to schedule time with your choir director and have him/her instruct you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:18:58 PM by HandmaidenofGod » Logged

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 03:39:02 PM »

Welcome to the forum! The best way to learn would be to schedule time with your choir director and have him/her instruct you.
Indeed!  That's how I learned the eight tones.  (Actually, my choir director scheduled a class for anyone who was interested in learning the tones and sent out a general invitation to the parish.)

A good resource for much of what you're looking for can be found on the Music Downloads page of the OCA web site:  http://www.oca.org/MDmusic.asp?SID=13.  Follow the link for any one of the tones (Tone 1, Tone 2, etc.) and at the top of the page you'll see links to MP3 downloads that demo the singing of the tone.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:42:26 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
jeremiah

Faith: Orthodox catechumen
Jurisdiction: OCA Synod of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 05:21:17 PM »

Peter the Aleut and Handmaiden of God,
Thank you both  Cheesy  Actually my choir director has been extraordinarily helpful in just helping me sing ... and transition from western to eastern music in general.  And patient, as have been all of the choir members.  Everyone reassures me they grew up with this music and so "osmosed" it ... but to come at it new just takes time.  The most helpful, or reassuring, said "a couple of years."

I'll try the OCA link here right away.  That's the kind of thing I'm looking for!

grace & peace,
jeremiah
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: