OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 11:49:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: February 2010 Post of the Month!  (Read 1864 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« on: March 10, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »

(Dateline OC.net Palace)  During the course of a routine OC.net Pentarchy (Admins & Global Mods) game of Yahtzee!(TM), the union representative for the local Fruit Vendors 788 (sitting in the vacant 3rd Admin seat) accidentally hit Fr. Chris in the head with a roll of the dice.  Before losing consciousness in what his doctors have called a "freakicus accidenticus of the brain," he casually mentioned that he hadn't announced the winner of the February 2010 Post-of-the-Month contest yet, but the ceremonial scroll was prepared.  Rising from their seats, the Global Moderators proceeded to locate the scroll in Fr. Chris' wing of the Palace/Brewpub/Bowling Alley, while Fr. Anastasios tended to his fallen comrade.

As they were proceeding to the balcony to make the formal announcement, the Global Moderators convinced the union representative to cancel any rotten fruit demonstrations this month by reminding him of his potential liability for criminal prosecution and civil action for his nearly-deadly dice wielding.  Confident that their safety, and wardrobe, was secure, they then went out of the balcony doors to the sound of the whimpering crowd - tired of waiting in the awful 60 degree Southern weather.  They then proceeded to announce:

We are pleased to announce the winner of the February 2010 Post of the Month contest, who had 3 wonderful posts nominated: Fr. Giryus!

Not every Christian is called to marriage nor is every Christian called to monasticism.  Monastics have no business telling people any differently and/or convincing them otherwise.  People have free will not to accept marriage or to accept monasticism and I surely don't need a marketing pitch from a monastic whether it comes to marriage, monasticism or buying stock in Toyota.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but if monastics are equal to lay people and you ban monastics from giving advice or voicing their opinions, does it necessarily follow that lay people should also refrain from giving advice or voicing their opinions?

If you censor one and not the other, than you are acknowledging that they are not equal, that monastics are more powerful in some way.  To some, this may be their impression.  However, the problem is with the perceiver rather than the perceived.  If you punish the monastic just because someone does not properly understand his role in the Church, where is the justice in that?

The responsibility lies with the laity to not overly-glamorize monasticism.  It is the job of the advice-seeker to find the right person to get advice from and not treat all monks like 'spiritual vending machines.'  The real problem is that those getting advice from monks don't see the monks as people.

The issue here is the education of the laity, which is poorly handled in many ways.  Censoring monks or banning pilgrims does not take care of the real problem, becuase it does not cure the false perception and, in fact, cements it (i.e. "Monks are very powerful, so don't talk to them.")

Blaming the monks as a group is part of the 'victim mentality' that has taken hold of our culture.  It creates a dichotomy of victim and perpetrator, absolving the former of his responsibility.  This is evil.  We must all bear our true responsibility for exercising free-will and weighing advice before taking it.  Like in the medical profession, if I forgo a second opinion and follow a doctor's advice without checking it out, I bear part of the responsibility for the outcome.

As a priest, I know that people can over-value or under-value my advice based on their misguided notions of the priesthood.  However, I do not refrain from doing what I think is right just because someone might misconstrue my advice as coming directlt from God.  I do warn people about this juvenile idealism, but I don't stop everything I am doing because someone might act in a foolish manner.  Neither should monks.

It would be helpful if monks offered disclaimers, and I know those who do.  However, most laypeople offer no disclaimers to their opinions (until after they are called on them).  So, I think that monks should have the same freedom if they are considered full equals to the laity.

For the record, I think it is darn foolish to be asking a monk about buying stock, but who is the bigger fool: the fool or the fool who follows him?

I'm sorry if some people find this offensive, but I think it very funny that here, in a place where advice is routinely offered blindly and received much the same, that we should talk about telling some people not to give advice while we ourselves feel free to offer all manner of advice to those we don't know.

And as the crowds chanted AXIOS!  AXIOS!  AXIOS!, the Global Moderators returned to Fr. Chris' side, waiting until the Police Car, National Guard truck, and Stretch Limousine Ambulance took him to the Hospital wing of the Palace/Brewpub/Bowling Alley, located 100 yards away.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:04:12 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:15:34 AM »

AXIOS!

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:02:40 AM »

I'm glad that I provided inspiration for someone to write a post worthy of Post of the Month.  To FatherGiryus:

AXIOS! AXIOS! AXIOS!   Grin  Cool  Grin
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »

Axios! Axios! Axios!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 02:49:25 PM »

AXIOS! AXIOS! AXIOS!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 02:56:17 PM »

Congratulations!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 03:57:54 PM »

Congratulations! Grin
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 04:24:12 PM »

Thank you, but I'm not sure this is so good for my ego, especially during Great Lent!   Wink

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 04:50:50 PM »

Worthy!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
wynd
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Transfiguration

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »

Thank you, but I'm not sure this is so good for my ego, especially during Great Lent!   Wink

In that case, I won't say Axios. Instead I will say, nice Star Wars reference  laugh
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 11:18:49 PM »

Hi Father!

Mustahek!

your friend, Tamara
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 03:15:49 PM »

In that case, I won't say Axios. Instead I will say, nice Star Wars reference  laugh

I have to ask: where?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »

I have to ask: where?

Here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/quotes?qt0440697

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 04:16:07 PM »

Thanks.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 04:55:13 PM »

This was the worst Post of the Month ever!  What's the criteria for judging these posts, btw?  How in the world anyone can read this without becoming nauseated is beyond me.  People blindly giving advice for giving advice blindly?  What kind of Alice In Wonderland, mind altering tripe is this?  Sheesh.  Throw those mushrooms out, put down that pipe and go outside in the fresh air.  All of you!

** Totally kidding you, dear Father.  Just helping you with your ego.  Cheesy

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 06:44:53 PM »

This was the worst Post of the Month ever!  What's the criteria for judging these posts, btw?  How in the world anyone can read this without becoming nauseated is beyond me.  People blindly giving advice for giving advice blindly?  What kind of Alice In Wonderland, mind altering tripe is this?  Sheesh.  Throw those mushrooms out, put down that pipe and go outside in the fresh air.  All of you!

** Totally kidding you, dear Father.  Just helping you with your ego.  Cheesy

Thank you for saving me!  Cheesy

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 06:13:33 AM »

Axios!

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags: Post of the Month 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: