OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 04:40:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers for the Peace of Jerusalem  (Read 2203 times) Average Rating: 0
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« on: January 02, 2004, 04:59:44 PM »

Franciscan Peace Prayer

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love,
Where there is injury, pardon,
Where there is doubt, faith,
Where there is despair, hope,
Where there is darkness, light,
Where there is sadness, joy.

O, Divine Master, grant that I may seek
not so much to be consoled as to console
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love,
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 11:07:16 PM »

Gracious God, your Word became flesh and lives among us. We pray that your Word may live in the hearts and minds of those who continue to struggle in the midst of conflict in the Holy Land. May this Word be one of peace and comfort. Amen.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 11:08:36 PM »

A PALESTINIAN LITANY FROM JERUSALEM

Almighty and eternal God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, we glorify and praise you. You are our only refuge in this troubled world.
We glorify and praise you, our God.

Merciful God, in the birth of your Son Jesus Christ, in Bethlehem you became one of us, sharing and understanding our humanity, our suffering and problems.
We glorify and praise you, our God.

We thank you that you took refuge to Egypt, identifying yourself with all who are refugees and victims of the political power.
We thank you, our God.

We thank you that you grew up in Nazareth and ministered to the people in Galilee, and spread your kingdom in a new way.
We thank you, our God.

We thank you that you were crucified in Jerusalem, identifying yourself with every person who suffers and lives under occupation and injustice. On the cross you carried the sin and the suffering of all human beings and reconciled us with you and with our fellow human beings.
We thank you, our God.

Our Heavenly Father, we come before you with all the troubles and pains we are experiencing here in the Middle East:
Lord, have mercy on us.

We pray for all the victims of the injustices and violence in present situation. We pray also for those who are responsible for injustices and all forms of violence.
Lord, have mercy on us.

We pray for our laborers who cannot enter to their places of work. We pray for our youth who are loosing their hope for the future.
Lord, have mercy on us.

We pray for our mothers who are fed up with bloodshed, killing and the use of arms. We pray for the bereaved families, who lost their dear ones. We pray for the quick recovery of the injured. We especially pray for the those who have to live with permanent disability.
Lord, have mercy on us.

Jesus, our Savior, our eyes look to you, our only help in these troubled times:
Lord, hear our prayer.

We pray, that you open the eyes of the world and of Israelis and Palestinians for justice and reconciliation. Help us all to see that the security and freedom of the one people is depending on the security and freedom of the other.
Lord, hear our prayer.

We pray for the politicians, that they may realize that the security and peace we all long for will not come by the use of arms and force, but by having justice done so that the two peoples can reconcile and together work out an equitable coexistence for the future.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lord Jesus, you have called us to be your followers. Give us your love for our fellow human beings. Free us, and our children, from hatred, bitterness, and the denying of the rights of others; and fill us with love, truth, justice, so that we can recognize and respect the dignity and the rights of one another.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lord Jesus, you have shown us that forgiveness is not forgetting ones rights but asserting them. We know that forgiving is to see Christ in our enemies, and to love them as our neighbors. Help us Palestinians to see you in the Israelis, and help the Israelis to see you in us. Lead us all to affirm and respect that our humanity is a gift from you, as we are all created in your image, and give us courage to mutually recognize each other’s human, religious, civil and political rights.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Holy Spirit , giver of life and new beginnings, help us to faithfully respond to God’s call to be ministers of reconciliation.
Come, Holy Spirit, renew us all.

Help us to find ways of encouraging people to open their hearts and confess their part in the past injustices and find ways to build a just and secure future for our children. Give us wisdom and courage in this difficult task. When the pressures of the situation make us despair, come with your Holy Spirit and renew our strength and hope.

Sustain with your power those, who in the midst of all difficulties quietly are building the culture of reconciliation, justice and peace. They may not be many right now, but we remember that the work for God’s kingdom among us, started with only a handful faithful and committed people.

Come, Healing Spirit , and change us and open ways for us to change others. Remove all injustice and fill our land with just peace. Remove all hatred and fill us all with true love.

Remove all insecurity and bring in real security. Remove all occupation and bring in freedom for all.

Merciful God, accept our prayer and yearning. You are the only strength we have. No one can take the power of prayer away from us. In the name of Jesus - our Liberator and Redeemer - we pray.
Amen

(By Bishop Munib A. Younan, the Lutheran Bishop in Jerusalem, 15 March, 2001)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord while it is terrible of even thinking of children being shot in Bethlehem, combat helicopters firing missiles from positions above Shepherds' Field, cannon fire from tanks a stone's throw from the old city where Jesus died, was buried and rose again, or terrorist bombs killing and crippling innocents near where Jesus and the disciples spread the Gospel, we know, through Daniel's vision   that the Son of Man will be coming with the clouds of heaven. We know that in the end, that you, the Alpha and the Omega, have given Christ the King authority, glory, and sovereign power. And that all nations, all peoples of every language, will worship him. We know his dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed. We ask that we always remember this as we pray for harmony and peace between the three great religions that share this city and help us to have greater knowledge and understanding of our Jewish and Muslim brothers and sisters. Whether at the Western Wall, the Dome of the Rock or the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, may we all grow in faith, compassion, and love.

Lord we pray for the children that live in the Holy Land, especially for those who have suffered over the last months and, in many cases, years. Lord you taught us that whoever welcomes one of these little children in your name, welcomes you, and who welcomes you, welcomes the one, the Alpha and the Omega, who sent you. Especially in your community, may this never be forgotten.

Lord we pray for the Anglican School in Jerusalem and the education of all of the children with us today and in the future. As the school struggles to manage in these difficult times, we pray for guidance for the administrators, the teachers and the parents -- and for the love Jesus has for all children to guide us all.

Lord we pray for the Christian pilgrims who despite the grim news of the day, follow in the path of Christ the King in the Holy Land. We pray for Susan and Michael Thomas, for all the pastors, church leaders, members and those who attend the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer. May they always be beacons of light, in this shining city on the hill, and when they return to their homes -- whether they are in Jerusalem or around the world. As each believer moves into the world, we pray that you and your angels will watch over us, guide us into the light, away from the darkness. May we always walk the path that Jesus taught us to walk and remember the magnificent blessing you, the Alpha and Omega, have brought us, through Christ the King. (Petitions (modified) prayed at the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Jerusalem on Christ the King Sunday)

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 11:20:29 PM »

I know this is the Prayer Forum and not a debate forum, but I think it is important to remember that the Jerusalem for whose peace we should be praying is the Church, the true Jerusalem and Mother of us all (Gal. 4:21-31; Heb. 12:22-24).

The Jerusalem of our Lord's earthly sojourn rejected and crucified Him. It was and is called spiritually "Sodom and Egypt" (Rev. 11:Cool.

Certainly the sites connected with our redemption are holy, but let's not confuse them with the modern secular city of Jerusalem.

It's okay to pray for literal Jerusalem or any other city.

But let's remember to which Jerusalem our true loyalty belongs.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 12:40:34 AM »

*sigh*

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 12:41:25 AM »

Psalm 122

A song of ascents. Of David.

1 I rejoiced with those who said to me,
"Let us go to the house of the LORD ."
2 Our feet are standing
in your gates, O Jerusalem.

3 Jerusalem is built like a city
that is closely compacted together.
4 That is where the tribes go up,
the tribes of the LORD ,
to praise the name of the LORD
according to the statute given to Israel.
5 There the thrones for judgment stand,
the thrones of the house of David.

6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:
"May those who love you be secure.
7 May there be peace within your walls
and security within your citadels."
8 For the sake of my brothers and friends,
I will say, "Peace be within you."
9 For the sake of the house of the LORD our God,
I will seek your prosperity.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 11:07:47 AM »

*sigh*

I take it you think we are to continue praying for the literal earthly city of Jerusalem?

Pardon me, but I disagree. I think the Jerusalem we are to pray for is God's Church, His only people (He has only ONE people).

It is okay to pray for the modern secular city of Jerusalem, but it isn't any more necessary than praying for Detroit or Peoria.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 11:08:30 AM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 12:06:13 PM »

Linus: I believe like Augustine and Ambrose and many others among the church fathers that there are levels and layers to scripture and scripture interpretation.  There exists a literal and a spiritual reading for each verse.  We cannot disregard either.  There is merit to praying for the Spiritual Jerusalem, but we cannot neglect the physical one.  

The difference between praying for the city of Jerusalem and detriot are simple - God never called Detriot His city nor did God physically write his name in detroit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 12:08:12 PM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 12:11:24 PM »

Br.Max: There is merit to praying for the Spiritual Jerusalem, but we cannot neglect the physical one.

We are under no obligation to the present secular city of Jerusalem of which I am aware.

Of course, it is okay to pray for Jerusalem or any other city. We should pray that Christian pilgrims can visit the holy sites in peace and safety.

I posted what I posted here because of the prevalence of too much baloney concerning secular Israel these days.

We need to remember which Jerusalem is actually holy to God.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 08:14:47 PM »

We need to remember which Jerusalem is actually holy to God.  

"The Kingdom of God is within you."
"You are the temples of the Holy Spirit."

That "Jerusalem" is infinitely more holy to God.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 08:33:58 PM »

This thread is for prayer.  If you are not interested in the topic of this thread, by all means, you are welcome to not read it.  I will no longer continue to debate the validity of Replacement Theology in this thread.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 09:53:25 PM »

This thread is for prayer.  If you are not interested in the topic of this thread, by all means, you are welcome to not read it.  I will no longer continue to debate the validity of Replacement Theology in this thread.

Now you've used the magic term: "Replacement Theology."

There is no such thing.

The term "Replacement Theology" was coined by Dispensationalist heretics to describe the historic Christian teaching that the Church is the true Israel of God.  

The real "Replacement Theology" is practiced by those who would replace the Israel of God with a modern secular state.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 11:41:12 AM »

Br.Max: The difference between praying for the city of Jerusalem and detriot are simple - God never called Detriot His city nor did God physically write his name in detroit.

I think you added the remark above to your post after I had first responded to it.

So, you believe the present secular city of Jerusalem is "God's city" and that He has written His name there?

How is it then that literal Jerusalem is called spiritually "Sodom and Egypt" (Rev. 11:Cool?

I think you greatly misunderstand just what and where the true Jerusalem is.

I guess I should stop arguing in the Prayer Forum; it's just that wooden literalism applied to the Old Testament (or the New for that matter), especially when it smacks of Dispensationalist Protestantism, really disturbs me.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2004, 11:45:15 AM by Linus7 » Logged

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: