OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 03:21:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: His Holiness Karekin II Receives Emir Kusturica  (Read 790 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: March 10, 2010, 02:44:10 AM »

His Holiness received a rock star:

http://www.etchmiadzin.com/

On March 6, His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, received Emir Kusturica, world-renowned Serbian filmmaker, actor and musician in the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin.  He was accompanied by his wife, Maja, and musicians from his rock band, No Smoking Orchestra. 

Welcoming the eminent artist to the headquarters of the Armenian Church, the Pontiff of All Armenians spoke of the Armenian Church and Its role in the life of the Armenian nation, and in the preservation of spiritual values and national identity. His Holiness also reflected on the national character and unique contribution of the Church to the creation and development of Armenian culture.

His Holiness Karekin II and Kusturica met in January in Moscow, when they were both granted the 2009 Patriarch Alexy II Award by the International Fund of the Unity of Orthodox Peoples.

In his remarks, Kusturica noted his pleasure in visiting Armenia and getting acquainted with a nation that has a similar past, filled with tragedy and hope.  Kusturica also referred to the importance of spiritual values in society and presented his future plans to His Holiness.

At the conclusion of the meeting, Kusturica and his rock band visited the Museum of the Mother Cathedral and the pontifical residence.

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:28:05 PM »

I have a question about Emir Kusturica:

I know almost nothing about him, but I have heard that he is controversial.  It has something to do with the fact that he was Muslim, but then converted to the Orthodox Christian faith, which I guess some people didn't like.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Is there more to the controversy than this?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emir_Kusturica#Controversy

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: Armenian Church Serbia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: