OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:42:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Definitive Book on Anglicanism?  (Read 754 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« on: March 10, 2010, 01:34:42 AM »

I'm building up my library on the Protestant classics and essentials.  My first endeavor is to obtain the core materials for the main three branches of historical Protestantism: Lutheranism, Anglicanism and Presbyterianism. 

For Lutheranism, I have The Book of Concord, which contains the small and large catechism of Luther.

For Presbyterianism, I have The Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin.

For the Baptists, the best I could figure out was a large collection of writings by Charles Spurgeon.

But for Anglicanism, what should I get for a definitive exposition of the faith?  I know about The Book of Common Prayer, but I suppose I always assumed that it was primarily a prayer book more than an in depth exposition of Anglican doctrine (go figure!).  So what is the best historical book to turn to for better understanding the worldwide communion?
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:42:01 AM »

For early Anglicanism you can get a hold of Cranmer's Homilies.  And Hooker's Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity.  Everything becomes kind of... muddled after that point.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »

That's a good question, particularly since Anglicanism is not so much indebted to the thought of one primary reformer like Lutheranism or Calvinisim, nor, sadly, given the wide diversity within the 'official' Anglican Communion is there a uniform agreement to what constitues classical authentic Anglicanism today (ie compare the current liberal/heterodox leadership of the PECUSA with the Global South with the Anglo-Catholics, etc)

I am still still somewhat new to Anglicanism (was confirmed in the Anglican Catholic Church almost two years ago) and haven't read a lot of the primary Anglican sources except in snippets, but Hooker and Andrewes would be good ones from what I've read in secondary sources.   A good book I really like was Fathers and Anglicans, by Canon Arthur Middleton, which explored the intent/attempts of the Anglican divines (going back to Cranmer and Jewel, Hooker, Andrewes. and proceding through the following centuries through the Oxford Movement) to return to the thought/practices of the primitive Church expressed by the patristic consensus.

I'd still say the BCP (pre-1979), along with the 39 Articles and Ordinal, is probably where one can find the heart of orthodox Anglican belief, since the 'law of prayer is the law of belief' (lex orandi lex credendi).

Doubting Thomas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_orandi,_lex_credendi

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
CalloftheTor

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 01:17:59 PM »

I would say the Book of Common Prayer. However for Reformation era Anglicanism you might look to the Books of Homilies mentioned in the 39 Articles.
http://www.anglicanlibrary.org/homilies/index.htm

Great art Thou, O Lord, and wonderful are Thy works, and no words shall be sufficient to hymn Thy wonders
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: