OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 02:01:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone recommend...  (Read 475 times) Average Rating: 0
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« on: March 09, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »

any easily available reading material (i.e. free on the internet/in the library/extremely cheap) in English for one starting out in Orthodoxy?  In the past half year I've gone through the Anti-Nicene/Post-Nicene Church Fathers series, Florovsky's Church Fathers series and Ways of Russian Theology, a few excerpts from Lossky's writings, The Path of Salvation by St Theophan the Recluse, the Works of St Dionysius, Bp Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Church, and goarch.org's selections from the Evergetinos.  I've been trying to limit my reading during Lent to books on Orthodox spirituality, but have now re-exhausted my library.

Just some pointers on some key authors would be nice, I've got a few sites bookmarked.  My reading so far has been authors whose names pop up frequently in discussion forums such as this one or are referenced on other sites.  St Gregory of Palamas has been hard to track down (I don't have a credit card, so ordering online is difficult), as well as St Maximus the Confessor.  My local bookstores theoretically have books on Orthodoxy, but their Catholic-Orthodox section are waaaaay too skewed toward the Roman side of things (The Orthodox Church is the only book I've been able to find in stock).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »

any easily available reading material (i.e. free on the internet/in the library/extremely cheap) in English for one starting out in Orthodoxy?  In the past half year I've gone through the Anti-Nicene/Post-Nicene Church Fathers series, Florovsky's Church Fathers series and Ways of Russian Theology, a few excerpts from Lossky's writings, The Path of Salvation by St Theophan the Recluse, the Works of St Dionysius, Bp Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Church, and goarch.org's selections from the Evergetinos.  I've been trying to limit my reading during Lent to books on Orthodox spirituality, but have now re-exhausted my library.

Just some pointers on some key authors would be nice, I've got a few sites bookmarked.  My reading so far has been authors whose names pop up frequently in discussion forums such as this one or are referenced on other sites.  St Gregory of Palamas has been hard to track down (I don't have a credit card, so ordering online is difficult), as well as St Maximus the Confessor.  My local bookstores theoretically have books on Orthodoxy, but their Catholic-Orthodox section are waaaaay too skewed toward the Roman side of things (The Orthodox Church is the only book I've been able to find in stock).

You can try google books for the books in St. Vladimir's Popular Patrisitcs series. I read a number from that (they are also cheap): St. Athanasius' On the Incarnation, St.Cyril On the Unity of Christ, Hippolytus Apostolic Tradition, St. John of Damascus On the Holy Images, etc.

e.g.
http://books.google.com/books?id=WvrRvaDvO4QC&printsec=frontcover&dq=On+the+Incarnation&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

For St. Maximus:
http://books.google.com/books?id=5757JPqL6lIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=maximus+the+confessor&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

For St. Gregory Palamas:
http://books.google.com/books?id=8jcjtUbwptwC&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22Saint+Gregory+Palamas%22&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:37:24 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:44:43 PM »

I don't know if you read the Fathers at CCEL, but for anyone who doesn't know about it, they have works by other Fathers there as well, including some stuff by later Fathers such as St. Photius.  Fwiw, I also don't have a credit card, I just use a debit card with Master-Card emblem on it, and have never had any issues ordering stuff.

PS. It's ante-Nicene, not anti-Nicene Wink

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:00:22 PM »

St Cyril I came across on Monachos, St Athanasius is included in my Early Church Fathers series (though I'm not sure how far the translation carries Protestant ideology), and is also on that book table I keep asking so much about (I want it for that intro by one Clive Staples Lewis).  

I wasn't sure how much of the texts Google books had up (I was disappointed with one or two of the others I came across, they left out parts in mid-argument) for Sts Gregory and Maximus, but I'll give them the twice over.

Here's another one: St John Cassian.  One of his conferences (XXII) seems to be missing from every translation I've found.  I'm something of a completionist and it's bugging me.  I can understand from the title WHY it's missing, but if it's something important enough that one of the Fathers wrote on it, I want to read it!  Compared to some of the other things I've read on the subject I doubt it will be all that offensive.

PS. It's ante-Nicene, not anti-Nicene Wink

I knew that.  My fingers didn't. Wink  

P.S. While I've been past CCEL I didn't realize that they had such a wealth beyond the early fathers (though I knew they had stuff by Chesterton, Bunyan, and Luther), thanks for the head's up.  And, yes, those debit cards come in handy.  I have a slight problem with WAITING for stuff I order and mainly use mine for things like Netflix and X-Box Live, which are instantaneous.  For that matter I suppose I could also order books through my local bookstore.  Still, it annoys me that I can find 1,000 books on Roman Catholicism right now and only 1 on Orthodoxy, and that in order to find that one I've got to go through the 1,000.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:22:47 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: