OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 02:06:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Orthodox Churches in Chicago  (Read 1731 times) Average Rating: 0
Isadore

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Mediterranean

« on: March 09, 2010, 01:47:17 AM »

Wasn't sure where else to post this:

someone mentioned Greek churches in Chicago as being sort of a Greek Club for oldbies and not very welcoming to young people. I just moved next to Greektown so I'm looking for a church, and don't want to run into this syndrome. Anyone have info on this? I guess a good church doesn't have to be in Greektown, but I'm just wondering since it'd be convenient.

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved."
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:19:39 AM »

Wasn't sure where else to post this:

someone mentioned Greek churches in Chicago as being sort of a Greek Club for oldbies and not very welcoming to young people. I just moved next to Greektown so I'm looking for a church, and don't want to run into this syndrome. Anyone have info on this? I guess a good church doesn't have to be in Greektown, but I'm just wondering since it'd be convenient.

There isn't much left of Greektown: the UIC campus took care of that.

The only Church near their is St. Basil's. I haven't been their in years, but yeah, I remember it being pretty Greek/clanish.  Annuciation Cathedral is not extremely far, and accessible by CTA. If you aren't bound to the Greek archdiocese, Christ the Savior (OCA) is close by. Last I was there it was mix of young and middle aged, convert and craddle.  In Ukraininan Village there are a number of parishes, but of various types of Slavs.  And if you don't mind a ride on the blue line, you can join us at All Saints Antiochian, near the Addison stop.

But back to the Greeks: I think the more open parishes tend to be in the suburbs: Holy Apostles in Westchester, St. John in Des Plaines, etc. St. Haralambos in Niles is VERY Greek, has excelent chant etc. The services are all in Greek (at least when I went there) but plenty of people couldn't care less if you are not Greek. The priest is excellent too. SS. Peter and Paul in Glenview was the best Greek Church in the area, IMHO, but I have not been there in quite some time.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 02:55:53 PM »

The only Church near their is St. Basil's. I haven't been their in years, but yeah, I remember it being pretty Greek/clanish.  Annuciation Cathedral is not extremely far, and accessible by CTA. If you aren't bound to the Greek archdiocese, Christ the Savior (OCA) is close by. Last I was there it was mix of young and middle aged, convert and craddle.  In Ukraininan Village there are a number of parishes, but of various types of Slavs.  And if you don't mind a ride on the blue line, you can join us at All Saints Antiochian, near the Addison stop.

Christ the Savior is a very nice church. I have family that goes there.

But back to the Greeks: I think the more open parishes tend to be in the suburbs: Holy Apostles in Westchester, St. John in Des Plaines, etc. St. Haralambos in Niles is VERY Greek, has excelent chant etc. The services are all in Greek (at least when I went there) but plenty of people couldn't care less if you are not Greek. The priest is excellent too. SS. Peter and Paul in Glenview was the best Greek Church in the area, IMHO, but I have not been there in quite some time.

St. John's in Des Plains is the only Greek church in Chicago that does Vespers and other services I believe (thats what I have been told at least). The Russian church in Des Plains is also very beautiful with a beautiful choir but they do their services all in Slavonic.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 04:17:14 PM »

Sts Peter and Paul in Glenview (outside of Chicago) was probably one of the most welcoming and nice Orthodox churches I have ever been to.  Sunday Liturgy was PACKED.  It felt like a home away from home. 
And I'm about as Greek as the Pope and no one cared.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »

I've heard nothing but good things about St. John's in Des Plaines.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 05:08:55 PM »

I've heard nothing but good things about St. John's in Des Plaines.

Yes, they are expanding and putting up another chapel and extending their Greek school.  Up and down the halls they have collection bins, announcements, message boards for soup kitchens, missions, etc.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 05:09:52 PM »

There isn't much left of Greektown: the UIC campus took care of that.

The only Church near their is St. Basil's. I haven't been their in years, but yeah, I remember it being pretty Greek/clanish. 

Indeed, if there were many churches left on this side of town I might have never made it to All-Saints.  The last time I checked St Basil's website (when I was searching for a church) they were also between priests, that was in December.

If you don't mind me plugging out of ignorance (being new to Orthodoxy I have a limited comfort-zone and haven't made it to any of the other parishes in city, which from my location are ALL 45+ min by CTA) All-Saints is a nice parish and Father Patrick was very understanding with me when I told him about my own fairly recent problems.  It's a bit of a hike, but well worth it.  I'm going to miss it when I move.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 05:14:49 PM »

St. Haralambos in Niles is VERY Greek, has excelent chant etc. The services are all in Greek (at least when I went there) but plenty of people couldn't care less if you are not Greek.

I just noticed that this may be misleading of what I mean: if you are not Greek, they are still welcoming.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »

There's a new Greek Church St.Demetrios ,the Greeks build on O Plain Road between Buckley Rd, 137 and !20 Belvedere....Also Not far From it Across the Street North of it ,there's a Islamic Mosque....
the Original St .Demetrios was on glen flora Ave In waukegan ,they sold it to  the Indian Orthodox OO Branch....

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: