OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 02:07:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did God talk to people in between OT incidents?  (Read 113 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« on: April 21, 2014, 03:19:27 PM »

I just saw Noah and it made me think of an idea I've read from some Protestant theologians. What happened in between incidents told by the OT? Did God talk to people?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:19:57 PM by Alpo » Logged
Skydive
Moderated
Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »

God talks all the time or God does not talk.

"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:40:39 PM »

Do you mean like perhaps 'major incidents' (burning bush level, etc.)  that somehow were not recorded ?

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »

Of course. For example, there are many mentions of unnamed prophets whose prophecies are not recorded, such as the ones Jezebel kills.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »

Do you mean like perhaps 'major incidents' (burning bush level, etc.)  that somehow were not recorded ?

Yep. That is, were people on their own outside of these?
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »

Are we 'on our own'?

Because surely nothing I do would ever qualify to be recorded for history, or a lesson..(well maybe if they need another Mary of Egypt or something )

but I don't think that means i am 'on my own' just because God isn't smacking me upside the head with messages.....

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »

IMO NT period is a bit different as is evident in various prophecies about God writing his law in our hearts etc. But if you ask me, yes. We are basically on our own outside of sacraments err mysteries. Usually stories about God's signs are extremely vague. But that's a topic for another thread.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:58:00 PM by Alpo » Logged
Anna.T
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord have mercy! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »

I was taught (in a protestant church) that the Holy Spirit (God in any form) only spoke through / to the prophets in the OT (and people like David, if you don't count him as a prophet). But that the Holy Spirit (God) did not interact in any way with the vast majority of people, and might not interact with them at all for centuries. That He would "come upon" certain ones for a purpose, and then often depart, but was not there, generally speaking.That's what I was taught, for what little that might be worth, or not.

I don't think we are "on our own" today? We have the indwelling Holy Spirit, and whatever way we each experience that, I think we surely have a benefit that the OT people did not? This is one thing that made me more interested in Orthodoxy more quickly, because I was starting to check out the Lutheran church quite a bit, but (among other things) they seem very opposed to any tangible benefit of the Holy Spirit to believers, and I have been repeatedly told that the Orthodox church has no such qualms.

Not that it is "charismatic" and I would not want to see certain disorderliness and things happen within the Orthodox church, but it seems there is an acknowledgement that the Holy Spirit really does things in our lives. I don't like to see that denied.

(I'm not arguing against anyone in particular here or anything, just making a general comment - for what it's worth.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:40:49 PM by Anna.T » Logged

Christ is in our midst!

My replies should not be taken as representing Orthodox teaching - I am only just learning myself.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: